+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after Citizenship Application

maverick_bigapple

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Hi All,

A bit about my background - I'm about to be granted permanent residence in the USA, and will also be submitting my Canadian citizenship application next month. Upon submitting my Canadian citizenship application, I intend on leaving Canada and moving to the USA. As part of the permanent residence process for USA, I will be required to complete a "landing process" to establish my residence there. I had a few questions around the impending move, and the citizenship process-

(i) Will my OHIP coverage cease once I travel to complete the "landing process" for USA? I do anticipate being in Canada for a while after the "landing process" to wrap up in Canada, and will be employed by my Canadian employer during that period
(ii) Am I considered a resident in Canada once I have landed in the USA? If yes, do I pay taxes both in Canada and the USA since I have just established residence in the USA?
(iii) While there doesn't seem to be a requirement to be physically present in Canada once the citizenship application has been submitted, I'd like to validate if my understanding is accurate. Are their laws that prohibit me from moving to the USA while the citizenship application is inflight here in Canada?
(iv) I'm aware that I will need to notify the CRA of my non-resident status and an "exit tax" that will need to be disbursed. Does this have any implication on the Canadian citizenship application that will be in flight?

Many thanks!
NK

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Hi All,

A bit about my background - I'm about to be granted permanent residence in the USA, and will also be submitting my Canadian citizenship application next month. Upon submitting my Canadian citizenship application, I intend on leaving Canada and moving to the USA. As part of the permanent residence process for USA, I will be required to complete a "landing process" to establish my residence there. I had a few questions around the impending move, and the citizenship process-

(i) Will my OHIP coverage cease once I travel to complete the "landing process" for USA? I do anticipate being in Canada for a while after the "landing process" to wrap up in Canada, and will be employed by my Canadian employer during that period
(ii) Am I considered a resident in Canada once I have landed in the USA? If yes, do I pay taxes both in Canada and the USA since I have just established residence in the USA?
(iii) While there doesn't seem to be a requirement to be physically present in Canada once the citizenship application has been submitted, I'd like to validate if my understanding is accurate. Are their laws that prohibit me from moving to the USA while the citizenship application is inflight here in Canada?
(iv) I'm aware that I will need to notify the CRA of my non-resident status and an "exit tax" that will need to be disbursed. Does this have any implication on the Canadian citizenship application that will be in flight?

Many thanks!
NK
This is quite a complicated issue. I can only answer your 3rd question as other questions are out of my personal ability.

Well yes you don't have to remain in Canada after your citizenship submission, you still have to... or in fact... MUST conform your residence obligation as a PR - 2 years in a rolling 5-year period will still apply. If you cease to keep up with your RO, not only your citizenship application will be denied, your PR will highly likely to be cancelled - which you will go through an official process and lose your PR status. There are no laws prohibiting you moving down to the states, but your RO must be met at any given point.

As for the 1st question, OHIP eligibility is defined by the Ontario government, you can find that out on their website.