+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after applying

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
I just spent 30+ minutes reading similar threads however some of them are too old or case specific o_O

As per my signature, I've been in Canada since 2014 on multiple work permits and I'm going to be eligible to apply for citizenship in the fall of 2019.
Can I leave Canada once I receiver confirmation of applying for citizenship?

As far as I know at the moment, I can... however I need to notify CIC with my new address (while having an address in Canada for correspondence) and tell them about my plan to leave Canada for more than 2 weeks in a row (source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html).

Also, I'm permanent resident together with my common-law partner (she received PR thanks to me) - can we apply for citizenship separately or should we do it together as common-law partners (as we did PR)?

Why reason why we want to leave is to go to live either in Europe, New Zealand or Australia for a bit...

Am I missing somethings or am I right?

Thank you! :)

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
You are allowed to leave Canada after you apply, however if you are absent for a very long time and/or you live in a different country that is likely to raise questions and make the application slower.

You and your partner can apply separately, but again that is likely to raise some questions. You just need to have an answer for those.
Best of luck.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It is allowed and if you are lucky, you can get the citizenship with no questions raised - a coworker of mine did this, who left Canada 2 months after submitting application, only came back twice, one for test in April and one for Oath last month - while myself and a few others who have been in Canada the whole time, still haven't got test invite yet. But you never know if some agent just decides to be extra diligent with your case, then you will be screwed.

Reactions: Anford

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Thanks guys! So it might happen that my application gets slower due to my absence... but as I'm a permanent resident, that wouldn't matter to me much however - how much slower? Like approx 4 months more than usual or so? Thanks! ;)

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Yes, you can leave Canada. As long as your application is complete and truthful, go nuts. Even in current rule, they have relaxed the intent to reside clause...

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Yes, you can leave Canada. As long as your application is complete and truthful, go nuts. Even in current rule, they have relaxed the intent to reside clause...
Sounds great, thanks for your answer! ;) So far what I've read and heard that it's way easier to apply for citizenship than for permanent residency... to be honest, my journey to became a permanent resident was a bit of a nightmare...

Would you guys say it's easier to apply for citizenship than for permanent residency (express entry)? Thanks!

munter

Apr 12, 2014
It is allowed and if you are lucky, you can get the citizenship with no questions raised - a coworker of mine did this, who left Canada 2 months after submitting application, only came back twice, one for test in April and one for Oath last month - while myself and a few others who have been in Canada the whole time, still haven't got test invite yet. But you never know if some agent just decides to be extra diligent with your case, then you will be screwed.
I think "screwed" should be put in context here, I dont think it means your application will fail, if you satisfy all criteria, just that you will have to answer a lot of questions and be consistent and truthful in the interview and they could do some extra checks to ensure residency criteria is met but you will still be a citizen at the end.

Without opening a can of worms, I think this is true even if you apply from outside Canada but I would advise applying from within if it is just as convenient for you. You can also hire a advisor, to make sure you make zero mistakes and to provide correspondence while you are away. They can also give you advice if something gets complicated.

glob

Oct 6, 2017
My application has been in process since December in Mississauga.
I took sabbatical leave and left Canada for the whole summer. If all of a sudden I receive the test invite before September, I'll buy the overpriced return tickets, but I doubt it will be necessary.
Anyway, I'm a free man and I'm not willing stay under "house arrest" in Canada simply because some bureaucrats might not like the fact that I traveled a lot.
If I receive an RQ or it affects my processing time, so be it.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
My application has been in process since December in Mississauga.
I took sabbatical leave and left Canada for the whole summer. If all of a sudden I receive the test invite before September, I'll buy the overpriced return tickets, but I doubt it will be necessary.
Anyway, I'm a free man and I'm not willing stay under "house arrest" in Canada simply because some bureaucrats might not like the fact that I traveled a lot.
If I receive an RQ or it affects my processing time, so be it.
Same here , I have a long term work assignment and will relocate out of Canada this fall , if I don’t get the test / oath before then I will do the same