Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
29-12-2012
LANDED..........
July 2013
Good afternoon everyone,

I have received my COPR and intend to land in Canada on July 1st. I am on a spousal visa. My wife is Canadian, I am a British citizen.

We married in Korea without a ceremony last year and on our 1st anniversary, we will be having the ceremony. Purely symbolic.

We intend to leave Canada on 15th July and back on 30th July. All of this is booked. As my PR card will not be ready in this time, I wondered if I need a travel document. As I am visa exempt will I be allowed into Canada with my passport alone?

Also if anybody has a link to where this is stated by the immigration department, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you don't need a travel document since you are a visa exempt passport holder.

BritishInKorea

Oct 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-11-2012
File Transfer...
13-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
29-12-2012
LANDED..........
July 2013
Thank you very much Scylla,

I received an email from the Border Agency which was far more helpful than any contact with immigration. This is what they stated (and what I will print off and carry with me).

Note that there are several factors that border services officers (BSOs) must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

The requirement of subsection 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) states that a person who makes an application to enter Canada must produce all relevant evidence and documents that satisfies the BSO of their identity and nationality. This is facilitated by providing the BSO with a passport or other document that clearly denotes identity and nationality. The burden of proof to establish that they are admissible to Canada rests with the person seeking entry.

A valid permanent resident (PR) card is the only proof of permanent residence status in Canada. The following documents are indicators of permanent resident status in Canada:
Original Record of Landing (IMM1000)
A certified true copy of a Record of Landing issued by the Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) National Headquarters
A letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence
A passport duly stamped, showing the date on which permanent resident status was granted if the person was granted permanent resident status before 1973
A Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (IMM5292B)

Section A19 (2) of the IRPA states that "an officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status". It is recommended, but not mandatory, to have your PR card in your possession to prove your permanent resident status in Canada at the border. You must be able to satisfy the BSO at the port of entry that you are a permanent resident of Canada. This may be accomplished with supporting documentation, including those documents mentioned above, database checks conducted by the officer, and responding truthfully to all questions asked to you by the BSO. [/b]

Although the indicators listed above, including the Original Record of Landing (IMM1000), are not considered proof of permanent residence, they may assist the officer in determining that you have status as a PR.