+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving an Atlantic province, 3 years after AIPP PR

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
hey everyone, I apologize for another one of these, but I've googled and found so many different kinds of answers (mostly for PNP), that I'm not sure what to do- so I thought I'd ask here.

- Arrived to Canada and studied in Ontario 2017.
- Offered a job, moved and started working in Nova Scotia 2018.
- Switched jobs and the new workplace offered me AIPP PR in 2019. I agreed to it because it was simpler than Express Entry and I genuinely liked it in NS.
- Became a Permanent Resident under AIPP in July 2019.
- Continued working and residing in Nova Scotia to this date (June, 2022).

The problem is that despite all the work, I have been stagnating at my career- add to this there aren't many jobs of what I do here and really low wages because my employer knows they have no competition, I'm beginning to feel like its time to move on. I've given a good 4.5 years of my skills to the development of this province and lived in good faith here, but its time to consider what next.

I haven't accepted any job offer or made any plans to move yet, but I'm wondering what the process is to officially move. I can't really find any paperwork that needs to be filled. Also, at this point, I qualify for citizenship and is something I'm considering applying to this week. Will leaving the Atlantic, affect this citizenship process?

To anyone else considering the Atlantic reading this- Nova Scotia is great province. I admit I may have ruined it for myself by growing my career into a niche position for which I've left myself little growth within the current opportunities here. Anyways, the people here are really nice, the province is beautiful and housing is still somewhat affordable. This is a great province to settle down with your family, provided your career has opportunity/space here.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hey everyone, I apologize for another one of these, but I've googled and found so many different kinds of answers (mostly for PNP), that I'm not sure what to do- so I thought I'd ask here.

- Switched jobs and the new workplace offered me AIPP PR in 2019. I agreed to it because it was simpler than Express Entry and I genuinely liked it in NS.

The problem is that despite all the work, I have been stagnating at my career- add to this there aren't many jobs of what I do here and really low wages because my employer knows they have no competition, I'm beginning to feel like its time to move on. I've given a good 4.5 years of my skills to the development of this province and lived in good faith here, but its time to consider what next.

I haven't accepted any job offer or made any plans to move yet, but I'm wondering what the process is to officially move. I can't really find any paperwork that needs to be filled. Also, at this point, I qualify for citizenship and is something I'm considering applying to this week. Will leaving the Atlantic, affect this citizenship process?

To anyone else considering the Atlantic reading this- Nova Scotia is great province. I admit I may have ruined it for myself by growing my career into a niche position for which I've left myself little growth within the current opportunities here. Anyways, the people here are really nice, the province is beautiful and housing is still somewhat affordable. This is a great province to settle down with your family, provided your career has opportunity/space here.
when did you actually land as a PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

- Became a Permanent Resident under AIPP in July 2019.

You are fine to move whenever and wherever you want to.

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Just confirming that you got PR on July 2019 and not that you applied for PR on that date. If you have been a PR since 2019 no issues. Prepare for a higher cost of living in most places outside the Maritimes.
yeah, the former. I received my PR on July 2019. Yeah, thats fine- the higher wages should offset living costs. In any case, Halifax has been becoming awfully expensive to live in with no increase in wages :(

Its not DT Toronto expensive, but with a 1% vacancy rate- its heading that way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yeah, the former. I received my PR on July 2019. Yeah, thats fine- the higher wages should offset living costs. In any case, Halifax has been becoming awfully expensive to live in with no increase in wages :(

Its not DT Toronto expensive, but with a 1% vacancy rate- its heading that way.
Unfortunately higher wages not always the case. Minimum wage is higher but Don’t think that overall expenses and costs end up with people getting ahead. Very dependent on where you move to.

izz83

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Got my Pr in Halifax through NSNP, moved out of the province the next month. Got my citizenship in 3 years after that. Moving out of a province does not impact your citizenship chances.

Bindra

Jun 25, 2022
Hi, is there anyone who has recently got endorsement from Nova Scotia AIP? How much time does it takes? My employer has submitted file in March 2022, still I am waiting for endorsement approval.

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
So you landed in July 2019 as PR. We don't usually call coming to Canada as a student "landing".

If it's 3 years ago, I don't see moving as a problem unless there is a special contract you signed with your employer.
How is the contact with any employer can be relevant to moving the provinces?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
How is the contact with any employer can be relevant to moving the provinces?
The job contract is not related to immigration. It's related to leaving OP's current job. Some job contracts have terms in employment about leaving and joining compeitiors right after resignation. Anyway, I don't think that OP had that kind of job contract since OP didn't response to the question. Likely he/she have already moved as the post was more than 6 months ago.