+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave without pay - 4 months

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Due to some medical requirements, I had to take no pay leave for 4 months.

The company reference letter clearly mentions that I was on sabbatical leave during those months.

Should I remove those months from my employment history as I was not paid during that period. But still employed with the same company?

If so, Can I amend my employment history now after receiving the ITA? My experience won't change the FSW scores or CRS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shrinivaskk said:
Due to some medical requirements, I had to take no pay leave for 4 months.

The company reference letter clearly mentions that I was on sabbatical leave during those months.

Should I remove those months from my employment history as I was not paid during that period. But still employed with the same company?

If so, Can I amend my employment history now after receiving the ITA? My experience won't change the FSW scores or CRS.

Thanks in advance for your help.
if you are STILL employed with them, its fine... you can go ahead and add it. anyway if without those 4 months your experience is greater than 3 + years then you are still fine

what i would do however is write a detailed LoE explaining the situation, submit medical reports showing why you needed this break and so on...

good luck and hope you have a speedy and complete recovery

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Thanks !

The employment letter clearly mentions that I'm still employed.

But its just that they have also mentioned that I was on sabbatical leave.

Should I explicitly mention the reason and supporting documents for medical reasons?

Or should I just change the date of employment to my last working day before I went on sabbatical?

Thanks

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
shrinivaskk said:
Thanks !

The employment letter clearly mentions that I'm still employed.

But its just that they have also mentioned that I was on sabbatical leave.

Should I explicitly mention the reason and supporting documents for medical reasons?

Or should I just change the date of employment to my last working day before I went on sabbatical?

Thanks
If those 4 months do not affect your score in anyway, you can remove it and mention the same in LOE. This will be better rather than explaining everything about the medicals reasons and sabbatical leave.

Reactions: Uvr

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Maverick28 said:
If those 4 months do not affect your score in anyway, you can remove it and mention the same in LOE. This will be better rather than explaining everything about the medicals reasons and sabbatical leave.
You DO know that I owe you a beer...

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maverick28 said:
i'm not so sure its that straightforward, whether you add those 4 motnhs or not the letter will still say you went on sabbatical leave... better to explain what the issue is either way.

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
So,
shall I say that I was employed from start date to current in employment history.

And then in personal history, just mention as 'Unemployed' during that sabbatical period?

And then explain in LOE about it?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
shrinivaskk said:
So,
shall I say that I was employed from start date to current in employment history.

And then in personal history, just mention as 'Unemployed' during that sabbatical period?

And then explain in LOE about it?
I am in your positioin as well - had unpaid Leave of Absence while I went to pursue full time higher studies. I have broken the employment portion with the same employer and will attach the same reference letter for both periods. And in personal history section will show that period as student and support with emails approving leave and explain the same in LOE. I don't think it's a big deal as long as properly documented and explained.

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
karthik2479 said:
I am in your positioin as well - had unpaid Leave of Absence while I went to pursue full time higher studies. I have broken the employment portion with the same employer and will attach the same reference letter for both periods. And in personal history section will show that period as student and support with emails approving leave and explain the same in LOE. I don't think it's a big deal as long as properly documented and explained.
Thanks Karthik
Makes sense to me too now.

GSMCAN

Jun 10, 2017
Guys I would also like your suggestion, my wife took leave without pay for almost 2 years to join me on my deputation in USA. How should I explain it .. As homemaker or anything else?

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Write up an LOE detailing the matter, nothing beats that. And anyway you were still employed with the firm during your 4-month leave so it should not hamper you in any way. Just my 2 cents.

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Guys I would also like your suggestion, my wife took leave without pay for almost 2 years to join me on my deputation in USA. How should I explain it .. As homemaker or anything else?
My honest opinion would be to write it up as an homemaker during that 2 year period. Was she re-employed back after the 2 year leave by the same company or was she asked to resign???