+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave of absence but forgot to change the conditions to IRCC

YWChen

Nov 11, 2016
Hi there,

I am taking leave of absence for 1 year (since September 2016) to take care of my newborn. My university approved that and I am still staying in Canada during this time period.

I just realized that I need to apply for changing my condition once I start my leave. I need to apply for being a visitor then I can stay in Canada. I am so panic now because it has been 6 months after I took leave.

I called IRCC and the agent just repeated that "you need to change your status immediately once you stop studying". The good news is that it won't affect my husband's open work permit. I was so worried he worked illegally during the past 6 months.

I am going to apply for change my status online. I am providing a explanation letter to state the reason of delayed application (but honestly, the reason is I didn't know I have to and I am not too sure if they will accept this reason). I will also attach my son's birth certificate, the approval letter for absence from my university.

Has anyone here had the similar situation? What will happen next? Could anyone give me any advice about that?

Thank you so much.

YWChen

Nov 11, 2016
Okay... I am updating my case for people who have the similar situation.
I went to double check with a senior international student advisor of my university. It turns out I don't have to change anything or report anything to IRCC based on what he said. I am on an authorized-leave. It was authorized by the faculty of graduate study of my university. He also mentioned that my leave won't cause any impact on my immigration status as well as my PGWP. As long as the university or the faculty of graduate study has the clear policy to grant the graduate students' leave, we are fine.
He said, every university has different policy, so it would be better to check it before taking leave of absence.

Big relief.......

kizumono23

Feb 20, 2017
I don't think you need to report to IRCC.
If you applied a leave of absence and it is aproved by your university, your student status will be reported to IRCC by them. It's the university's duty, but not yours.

YWChen

Nov 11, 2016
You are right. I was told by a junior international student advisor of my university that I need to report the changes to IRCC yesterday. He also told me "Don't you know if you take leave of absence, it would affect your PGWP?"
OMG... I was panic at that time when he said "why didn't you report your status changed when you took leave?" with a serious face.

Then today, I was informed by a senior advisor that all the information I was given yesterday was incorrect!
The junior advisor didn't confirm if I am an undergraduate or graduate students. My university only authorizes the leave for graduate students.

kizumono23 said:
I don't think you need to report to IRCC.
If you applied a leave of absence and it is aproved by your university, your student status will be reported to IRCC by them. It's the university's duty, but not yours.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, I have a very similar case. Can you please update me about what happened to your study permit extension application after taking a leave of absence? Did you successfully extended your study permit after this leave? Thank you