+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave and re-enter Canada on extended visitor visa

sanju_0504

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Hi All,

My mom came to visit us in Canada in Sep 2018 on a visitor visa and her visa expired in Mar 2019. We got it extended and she got a visitor record which is valid until Sep 2019. The visitor record states that "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY". We were planning to go for a short vacation to Mexico. Does that mean she will not be able to leave and re-enter canada with her visitor record? FYI, she has a multiple entry visitor visa.

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kirti

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,

My mom came to visit us in Canada in Sep 2018 on a visitor visa and her visa expired in Mar 2019. We got it extended and she got a visitor record which is valid until Sep 2019. The visitor record states that "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY". We were planning to go for a short vacation to Mexico. Does that mean she will not be able to leave and re-enter canada with her visitor record? FYI, she has a multiple entry visitor visa.

Thanks,
Kirti
When she leaves and returns, the existing Visitor Record will probably be ignored and it will be treated as a brand new application to enter Canada.
As such, it may be denied if the CBSA officer determines that entry is inappropriate.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi All,

Thanks,
Kirti
She will not be able to re enter based on the visitor record.

If the multiple entry visa in her passport has expired, she cannot use it for re entry to Canada. She needs a new visa.

You cannot extend a visa. When you applied for a visitor extension, you applied for a visitor status extension.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
She will not be able to re enter based on the visitor record.

If the multiple entry visa in her passport has expired, she cannot use it for re entry to Canada. She needs a new visa.

You cannot extend a visa. When you applied for a visitor extension, you applied for a visitor status extension.
An unexpired visa will get her on the aircraft. It will not guarantee entry at the border.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
An unexpired visa will get her on the aircraft. It will not guarantee entry at the border.
OP says the visa expired in March 2019 and they were given a visitor record after applying for extension. If the visa expired in March, that will not get them onto the aircraft.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OP says the visa expired in March 2019 and they were given a visitor record after applying for extension. If the visa expired in March, that will not get them onto the aircraft.
I suspect, (or at least I took it as), the 6 months entry period had expired, rather than the actual visa in the passport, hence the Visitor Record, which would extend the permitted stay period. I could however be wrong.

sanju_0504

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
Hello All, Her actual Canadian multiple entry visa is valid until 2023 but she has been staying with us since Sep 2018. She was eligible to stay only for 6 months and that's why we got her visa extended as we wanted her to stay for another 6 months (Mar 2019 to Sep 2019).

sanju_0504

Star Member
Jan 29, 2013
I suspect, (or at least I took it as), the 6 months entry period had expired, rather than the actual visa in the passport, hence the Visitor Record, which would extend the permitted stay period. I could however be wrong.
That's true, her multiple entry visa is valid until 2023.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
That's true, her multiple entry visa is valid until 2023.
Legally speaking, your mum ceases to be a visitor in Canada when she leaves. Her valid TRV allows her board a flight to come back to Canada and then she is assessed at the Canadian port of entry to determine if she will be granted entry as a visitor and for how long. If your plans remain the same (whatever the logic of the visitor's extension was) then you'll be consistent when seeking entry.

No guarantees of entry because even with something so low in risk there remains some risk of refusal, or a period of time granted that is less than her current visitor's record.