+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lease holder vs guarantor

lvt2dvm418

Aug 15, 2019
I'm hoping someone here can answer my question. My partner (Canadian) and I (sadly not Canadian-yet) have been living together for the last year. We moved in together 7-1-18 so are common law as of this July. Before we officially decided to move in together, I was planning on getting a roommate but in order to take over the lease I needed a guarantor. I am a doctorate student who has an income but it's not steady and I live off my loans mainly. He signed in April of 2018 as my guarantor. When we decided to move in together between April and July, the plan was to have him moved up to lease holder but the company wanted $100 to re-do the paperwork. Neither of us at the time thought it was of great importance to "waste" that money on trivial wording. I'm really hoping that this doesn't come back to bite us as I am now applying for PR.

So...
Should we pay the $100 and get him moved up to a lease holder
OR
would a letter from the company (who knows he's been a tenant for the past year) and check receipts work as proof we have been residing together?

We also have utilities...hydro and Reliance are in my name and the internet is in his.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm hoping someone here can answer my question. My partner (Canadian) and I (sadly not Canadian-yet) have been living together for the last year. We moved in together 7-1-18 so are common law as of this July. Before we officially decided to move in together, I was planning on getting a roommate but in order to take over the lease I needed a guarantor. I am a doctorate student who has an income but it's not steady and I live off my loans mainly. He signed in April of 2018 as my guarantor. When we decided to move in together between April and July, the plan was to have him moved up to lease holder but the company wanted $100 to re-do the paperwork. Neither of us at the time thought it was of great importance to "waste" that money on trivial wording. I'm really hoping that this doesn't come back to bite us as I am now applying for PR.

So...
Should we pay the $100 and get him moved up to a lease holder
OR
would a letter from the company (who knows he's been a tenant for the past year) and check receipts work as proof we have been residing together?

We also have utilities...hydro and Reliance are in my name and the internet is in his.
IMO the lease can't be used as evidence of cohabitation if he is listed as a guarantor.

A guarantor is someone who is financially guaranteeing the terms of the lease will be met. A lease holder is someone who is actually living at the property. There's a very big difference between the two terms.