+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Learning french

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
I'm on 441 but I'm still waiting on WES and my birthday is in January which will take me down to 436. I doubt 436 will be good enough to get ITA so my only realistic option to improve my score is to try to get some CRS points through TEF.

Has anyone done a french course intensively, with the purpose of getting TEF points? I know very basic french, and am willing to put in the time, and money, but realistically I would need to get to a level of scoring points within around 9 months before my CRS drops again due to age.

Just trying to work out if it is possible, and if it is worth the effort and cost, or if I'm clutching at straws.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
It takes several hundred hours of learning French to reach a degree where you can realistically expect to earn some points, and even then it would be just a single point or maybe two if you're lucky. You also have to remember TEF for Canada is not widely available and you can't take it or repeat it whenever you want (unlike IELTS or TOEFL), because test dates are spread far from each other and it takes time to process your results too.

It would be difficult to earn points with French in your situation, and any points gained will be quickly lost due to age and the time it takes you to learn it. It will be far better off for you to improve scores in IELTS if you haven't maxed it out already or enrolling in a masters course if you don't have one.

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
Thanks. Then the only way for me to increase my CRS is to do a masters which, by the time it is awarded would leave me in a similar position to now. Looks like I may have to give up on my dream of a move to Canada.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
By the way,

Practically anyone who is bilingual in both English and French can easily secure a path to Canada as the points for the French ability alone can lift any person with a score as low as 390 to being invited straight away, makes them eligible for many PNP programs even without a job offer and can immigrate to Quebec if they wanted to. For this reason, learning French maybe a good strategy for someone who's completely hopeless but is willing to work hard to earn the chance to apply in a few years long term.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
The masters will lift you about 40 points on its own. You can study a 3-year-program and still be at an advantage at the end of the program despite the loss in points. You do the math.

rajdeep181

Star Member
Oct 19, 2018
The only problem I see with starting a Masters now is the doubt till how long the EE process will remain in the midst of the possibility of a government change. Nonetheless it’s a way to improve the score.

Agaikwa

Dec 8, 2018
It will take close to min 600 hours of dedicated learning and TEF practice to get a B2 level in TEF (CLB 7 in CRS). This will give u an additional 45 points for second language & adaptability. Worth a shot to get a confirmed ITA and an excellent opportunity to secure a job in Canada.

Reactions: Jatinder_singh

Jatinder_singh

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
It will take close to min 600 hours of dedicated learning and TEF practice to get a B2 level in TEF (CLB 7 in CRS). This will give u an additional 45 points for second language & adaptability. Worth a shot to get a confirmed ITA and an excellent opportunity to secure a job in Canada.
Hi
Can u tell me the best site and dictionary to learn French