+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Learning French in India

rosh007

Dec 3, 2016
Hello everyone,

I want to learn French to increase my overall CRS score. I did very well in IELTS (overall band 8.5). I do need some extra points to increase my CRS and passing the French exam is one option that I'm looking at very seriously.

A question for people who have applied for PR from India and who got extra points for French OR anyone who used any online resources to clear the French language tests.

Can you please tell me how you learnt French in India? Any suggestions for courses, websites, online resources, institutions, classes etc will be very helpful. My main concern is finding people to converse in French to help with the speaking portion of these tests.

Suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello everyone,

I want to learn French to increase my overall CRS score. I did very well in IELTS (overall band 8.5). I do need some extra points to increase my CRS and passing the French exam is one option that I'm looking at very seriously.

A question for people who have applied for PR from India and who got extra points for French OR anyone who used any online resources to clear the French language tests.

Can you please tell me how you learnt French in India? Any suggestions for courses, websites, online resources, institutions, classes etc will be very helpful. My main concern is finding people to converse in French to help with the speaking portion of these tests.

Suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Have you previously learned French.... any level?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
No I haven't learnt French at any level before.
In that case, I recommend you don't attempt the 'get additional points for French language skills' path. You may want to consider gaining points through some other way.

French is not an easy language to learn especially grammar, verb conjugations, vocabulary, etc etc. for someone starting from scratch. There is considerable similarity in the English-French vocabulary though.

To be able to get points for French language skills, you would need to have at least at B2 or ideally C1/C2 level skills. It could take at least 2-3 years to achieve B2 level of proficiency.

If you still want to try, you can enroll for the A1 level courses offered by Alliance Française. This is the basic, beginners level.

One point: You might gain conversational skills at Alliance Française.... as the learning focus there is on speaking skills. For writing and reading skills, you might have to consider enrolling in another institute

Reactions: bellaluna

rosh007

Dec 3, 2016
In that case, I recommend you don't attempt the 'get additional points for French language skills' path. You may want to consider gaining points through some other way.

French is not an easy language to learn especially grammar, verb conjugations, vocabulary, etc etc. for someone starting from scratch. There is considerable similarity in the English-French vocabulary though.

To be able to get points for French language skills, you would need to have at least at B2 or ideally C1/C2 level skills. It could take at least 2-3 years to achieve B2 level of proficiency.

If you still want to try, you can enroll for the A1 level courses offered by Alliance Française. This is the basic, beginners level.

One point: You might gain conversational skills at Alliance Française.... as the learning focus there is on speaking skills. For writing and reading skills, you might have to consider enrolling in another institute
Thanks for this detailed information Bryanna. I'll have a look at the A1 level courses offered by Alliance Française.

Rohit Chhabra

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for this detailed information Bryanna. I'll have a look at the A1 level courses offered by Alliance Française.
Hey rosh007, how did it work out for you? I'm stuck in a similar situation & I don't think if I've any other way of improving points.