+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lead statement

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018
Hello guys,

Should every reference letter have the lead statement? I saw some of the posts regarding rejection due to missing lead statement (i.e., missing some magic words ) in the reference letter.

Can anyone suggest me lead statement/sentence for NOC 4012 and 4021.

Thanks in advance.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hello guys,

Should every reference letter have the lead statement? I saw some of the posts regarding rejection due to missing lead statement (i.e., missing some magic words ) in the reference letter.

Thanks in advance.
No application gets rejected for not having lead statement. Requirement says -

"During that period of employment, the applicant must have
  • performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties, of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(c)]."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

Your performed duties must match 100% the lead statement and substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties. So focus on your duties in your reference letter. Your reference letter must meet the following condition, as long as you have these information in your letter, you are good to go-

"a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
  • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
  • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; "
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Sabeen99

Jun 14, 2018

• performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties, of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R75(2)(c)]."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html

Your performed duties must match 100% the lead statement and substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties. So focus on your duties in your reference letter. Your reference letter must meet the following condition, as long as you have these information in your letter, you are good to go-

• should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
  • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; "
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
Thank you for your reply. My work experience letter has following sentences besides position, duration, work hours, annual salary. Does this letter fulfills the need of NOC 4012?

As a Teaching Assistant, his responsibilities were to assist the course instructor and faculty member by performing teaching and research related activities on following courses:

- name of course 1

- name of course 2

- name of course 3

- name of course 4

Below is a list of his major job duties:

– Assist course instructor with class preparation and course materials (e.g., setting up audio-visual equipment, performing library search and retrieving reference materials, and developing supplementary notes).

– Work with students one-on-one; learn about problems they are having with the course material.

– Lead discussion sections, tutorials, or laboratory sections.

– Provide assistance to faculty members or staff with field research activities.

– Assist course instructor in administering tests and grading (e.g., assignments, term paper presentation, quizzes, and laboratory reports).

– Maintain accurate and complete records of student marks, attendance, and completion of other course requirements.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. My work experience letter has following sentences besides position, duration, work hours, annual salary. Does this letter fulfills the need of NOC 4012?

As a Teaching Assistant, his responsibilities were to assist the course instructor and faculty member by performing teaching and research related activities on following courses:

- name of course 1

- name of course 2

- name of course 3

- name of course 4

Below is a list of his major job duties:

– Assist course instructor with class preparation and course materials (e.g., setting up audio-visual equipment, performing library search and retrieving reference materials, and developing supplementary notes).

– Work with students one-on-one; learn about problems they are having with the course material.

– Lead discussion sections, tutorials, or laboratory sections.

– Provide assistance to faculty members or staff with field research activities.

– Assist course instructor in administering tests and grading (e.g., assignments, term paper presentation, quizzes, and laboratory reports).

– Maintain accurate and complete records of student marks, attendance, and completion of other course requirements.
I am not an expert in your field so do not rely too much on my suggestion. However after reading the NOC description, it seems your duties matches with the lead statement and substantial number of duties from noc page. If you perform anything more then you should include them as well. overall it looks good to me.

Good Luck!

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hello guys,

Thanks in advance.
Its not like that, the job duties should match with NOC. Similar but should not be word by word

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey everyone, I worked as a policy and research analyst, and want to apply base on that. I am not sure about the exact NOC, it appears to be 4164, not sure. Can someone please confirm where is the lead statement here, is it the top paragraph?

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=4164&CST=01012011&MLV=4&CLV=2

Also, if the top paragraph is the lead statement, where are the essential duties. I can only see main duties.

Another thing, especially for anyone who applied under this NOC, i.e. 4164- the main job duties for a social policy researcher appear to be so limited. Is this all? Am I missing something? It looks like I am.

Can someone please share their input. Really appreciate the guidance. Thank you!

Best,
Bend

Reactions: skape7

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Hey, thank you for the reply. I don't seem to be able to find a distinction between the lead statement and essential duties for NOC 4164, is the latter included in the top paragraph?

Link: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=4&val1=4164&ver=16

Also, the main duties are so less in number for a social policy researcher, it seems as if I am missing on something. Why does it say summary only, where are the rest? Can you please look into this. Thank you!

sdjkd

Dec 20, 2018
Hey, thank you for the reply. I don't seem to be able to find a distinction between the lead statement and essential duties for NOC 4164, is the latter included in the top paragraph?

Link: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=4&val1=4164&ver=16

Also, the main duties are so less in number for a social policy researcher, it seems as if I am missing on something. Why does it say summary only, where are the rest? Can you please look into this. Thank you!
Since I am not so familiar with human sciences, the following answer might not be fully correct!
The essential duties are the first 3 to 4 points that are mentioned under the "Main duties" section, while the "lead statement" is the first paragraph of the NOC descriptions. My interpretation is that if the lead statement and essential duties are almost overlapped, it's just easier for you to prepare your reference letter. you simply have to cover both parts.

The NOC description is a general guide line for CIC to verify the applicant's work experience and it covers a general description of job duties and it's always a summary (But I have to admit that in this particular NOC, main duties are so short in each subsection).
By the way, be careful as you cannot use the NOC main duties directly in your employment letter without any changes!!

Bend

Jun 25, 2013
Since I am not so familiar with human sciences, the following answer might not be fully correct!
The essential duties are the first 3 to 4 points that are mentioned under the "Main duties" section, while the "lead statement" is the first paragraph of the NOC descriptions. My interpretation is that if the lead statement and essential duties are almost overlapped, it's just easier for you to prepare your reference letter. you simply have to cover both parts.

The NOC description is a general guide line for CIC to verify the applicant's work experience and it covers a general description of job duties and it's always a summary (But I have to admit that in this particular NOC, main duties are so short in each subsection).
By the way, be careful as you cannot use the NOC main duties directly in your employment letter without any changes!!
Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it. I know that is the challenge with this NOC. Only a summary of main duties is mentioned, and just few lines :( So the essential duties is not in the first para within the lead statement? If not, then what and where are the main duties?

Will be careful with the wording, thank you!

sdjkd

Dec 20, 2018
Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it. I know that is the challenge with this NOC. Only a summary of main duties is mentioned, and just few lines :( So the essential duties is not in the first para within the lead statement? If not, then what and where are the main duties?

Will be careful with the wording, thank you!
Your welcome, there is no clear description for essential duties in IRCC website, or at least I haven't found any, but I think the essential duties are the first couple of duties in main duties, which in your case the main duties and essential duties are the same.

KIRAN3

May 2, 2019

KIRAN3

May 2, 2019
Good Morning Sir! I'm A lawyer (NOC 4112).Should the reference letter mention each and everything thats mentioned in t he lead statement? I n my case ,its written that -Represent clients before,courts,tribunals and administrative boards.I have represented clients before tribunals and courts but not before any admn. board. What shoul d i do? I dont want to mention admn. boards can il eave that part?or will it cause some problem?[/QUOTE]