+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LCP - Renewing Work Permit and Visa

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
I employ a wonderful nanny from the Philippines, who has been working for us under the LCP since July 1, 2012. Her work permit actually was issued in late May of 2012, but it took a few weeks for her to give proper notice to her old employer and then to flagpole at Sweetgrass so she could officially be in the LCP program and work for us (she was previously in Canada as a TFW, but she was NOT in the LCP program).

Anyway, obviously her current work permit and visa will expire in May of 2014. As that time draws near, I want to be prepared to help her renew these documents. I have a couple of questions I am hoping the expert members of the board can assist with:

1. Do I need to get a new LMO in support of her renewal application?

2. I assume she applies for the new visa and the new work permit at the same time - is this correct?

3. How far in advance should shee IDEALLY submit her application? I don't want to do it too late, but I also don't want her doing it way too early.

Many thanks in advance everyone!

astasi

Champion Member
Jun 12, 2010
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-09-2014
Med's Request
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2014
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-07-2015
Hi,

lucybear05 said:
I employ a wonderful nanny from the Philippines, who has been working for us under the LCP since July 1, 2012. Her work permit actually was issued in late May of 2012, but it took a few weeks for her to give proper notice to her old employer and then to flagpole at Sweetgrass so she could officially be in the LCP program and work for us (she was previously in Canada as a TFW, but she was NOT in the LCP program).

Anyway, obviously her current work permit and visa will expire in May of 2014. As that time draws near, I want to be prepared to help her renew these documents. I have a couple of questions I am hoping the expert members of the board can assist with:

1. Do I need to get a new LMO in support of her renewal application? - You would need to apply for a new LMO in her favor.

2. I assume she applies for the new visa and the new work permit at the same time - is this correct? - She first applies for the work permit (online/paper application - Vegreville ) and once the new permit is issued she can apply for the TRV (online/paper application - Ottawa).

3. How far in advance should shee IDEALLY submit her application? I don't want to do it too late, but I also don't want her doing it way too early. - I suggest you should start the LMO process anytime soon as the LMO once issued is valid for 06 months and she can always apply for the new work permit closer to the expiry date of her current work permit. Please ensure that her passport is valid till the validity of the new job contract/LMO, else the new work permit will be issued till the validity of the passport.

Many thanks in advance everyone!
Hope this helps.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
I was given a work visa and work permit just 10 months after my work permit application under Live-in Caregiver Program was approved. The validity of my work permit was based on the validity of my passport.

1. Based on my experience when extending my work permit under LCP, my employer didn't apply for a new LMO. It wasn't required in the document checklist. I filled out the form APPLICATION TO CHANGE CONDITIONS, EXTEND MY STAY OR REMAIN IN CANADA (IMM 1249). I extended my permit in October 2011. I don't know if the application form is still the same now. I attached a letter of employment from my employer stating that I would still be working for her (same employer) and mentioning the LMO confirmation number that my employer got when she first filed for the LMO application. Also I attached the copy of LMO , an updated employment contract signed by my employer and me and a copy of the current work permit.

2. My passport expired almost at the same time as the expiration of my work permit and work visa. So, before my work permit had expired, I renewed my passport and then I mailed my work permit extension application with the copy of my renewed passport three and a half months before the permit expired (22 Oct 2011). I received a new permit on 5 Feb 2012. The officer will extend the work permit based on the validity of our passport. So, make sure that your employee's passport is still valid for a while (some years).
Once I got a new work permit, I applied for a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) to get a new work visa.

3. I think at least a month before the work permit expires then you need to submit the application. I mailed my application so I submitted my extended work permit application a few months before the current work permit expired because the processing time took a while.

I hope this will help.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
Here is site you have to go for the application to extend your caregiver's stay in Canada as a worker.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
I can see that CIC uses a different application form for extending work permit from the one I used 2 years ago.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
Hi everyone. Just thought I would update because I have now talked to two different people at CIC, in the hopes of getting the same answer twice. Both told me that so long as my nanny has not been in Canada for 4 years or more, I don't need a new LMO.

The website was VERY unclear on this issue. So I did need to make the calls to get clarity. So it seems that since she has only been with us 1.5 years, I don't need a new LMO. She can just apply to Vegreville...