+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Layover/stay of 22hrs at Toronto

mitulshah141

Sep 4, 2019
Dear Members,

I have got COPR based on SINP (SK, Saskatoon) and passport stamped.

Now I am getting and willing to book air tkt with option of 22hrs layover at Toronto. (Delhi-Toronto-Saskatoon)

Once I finished my Immigration formalities at Toronto, will I be able to go our and stay in hotel near airport for 16-18 hrs?

What is immigration possibilities?
What is connecting flight possibilities ? (in terms of baggage)
any other problems faced by anyone in past?

my intend is clear to go at sakatoon - my tkt will also booked throughout.
only to stay with relatives and friends at Toronto for few hours.

Regards,
Mitul Shah

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
That's fine. Your bags will be checked through to final destination, but you will have to get those out for Customs at Toronto and then check those back in (there are counters for that).

Reactions: mitulshah141

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
That's fine. Your bags will be checked through to final destination, but you will have to get those out for Customs at Toronto and then check those back in (there are counters for that).
That is incorrect. Since Toronto is your initial POE into Canada, you must claim your luggage. You do not really have a connection, versus having a stopover. Anything longer than four hours is considered a stopover
When I worked at the airport in Toronto we would not accept baggage more than four hours before the passengers trip for security reasons being # 1, #2, the airline was not to be used for luggage storage

You did not mention what airline you are traveling with, I am assuming an airline in T1. Here is a link for luggage storage in that terminal
Yes you can stay in a hotel near the airport if you want. Google hotels along Dixon Road, and Airport Road. Those are the streets near the airport "Airport Strip with hotel/motels. If you just google hotel/motels near Pearson, you could get places in Brampton, or farther afield

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/while-you-are-here/toronto-airport-services/excess-baggage-t1

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/toronto-pearson-international-airport/int-ca.html

Last edited:

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
There is also The Sheraton Gateway hotel, actually in Toronto airport, but might be expensive compared with a hotel just outside the airport

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
That is incorrect. Since Toronto is your initial POE into Canada, you must claim your luggage. You do not really have a connection, versus having a stopover. Anything longer than four hours is considered a stopover
When I worked at the airport in Toronto we would not accept baggage more than four hours before the passengers trip for security reasons being # 1, #2, the airline was not to be used for luggage storage

You did not mention what airline you are traveling with, I am assuming an airline in T1. Here is a link for luggage storage in that terminal
Yes you can stay in a hotel near the airport if you want. Google hotels along Dixon Road, and Airport Road. Those are the streets near the airport "Airport Strip with hotel/motels. If you just google hotel/motels near Pearson, you could get places in Brampton, or farther afield

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/while-you-are-here/toronto-airport-services/excess-baggage-t1

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/toronto-pearson-international-airport/int-ca.html
Maybe you are right. I had done this some years ago when my layover was over 12 hours (but not 22). All I had to do was take my luggage through Customs and check it back in.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Unless things have changed. I used to work the late shift, ending at 9pm. Travelers connecting thru Toronto used to come to the counters late at night wanting to check in their luggage then, but would not be traveling until the next morning. We would direct them to the luggage storage facility.

mitulshah141

Sep 4, 2019
Dear all,
Thank you very much for your prompt responses and answers.
But still I am looking for a specific answer / website link where as I can confirm that
"I can go out of airport at Toronto with having COPR of Saskatchewan"
It will be my first time entry to Canada.
Terminal 1.

My concern is --- Dose Immigration rules allow me to go out @ Toronto, before performing my entry at saskatoon.?

If I was having 4-5 hrs connecting flight there should not be any issue of going out and accessing Toronto land.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Dear all,
But still I am looking for a specific answer / website link where as I can confirm that
Terminal 1.

My concern is --- Dose Immigration rules allow me to go out @ Toronto, before performing my entry at saskatoon.?

If I was having 4-5 hrs connecting flight there should not be any issue of going out and accessing Toronto land.
As soon as you complete landing formalities, you become a permanent resident of Canada. You can visit, live, work, study anywhere in Canada.

In fact any entry (even as a tourist for example) is not specific to a province or a city.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Dear all,
Terminal 1.

Yes

I assume your worry about Saskatoon is because you have a Saskatchewan specific sponsorship. As long as you have some proof of ongoing flight to SK, then no problem landing in TO (in fact you HAVE o land at the first point of international entry to Canada, as you will have discovered there are NO direct flights from India to Saskatoon!).

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
As soon as you complete landing formalities, you become a permanent resident of Canada. You can visit, live, work, study anywhere in Canada.

In fact any entry (even as a tourist for example) is not specific to a province or a city.
Sort of, be careful with the 'live' bit though, because if you have been sponsored by a particular province, you will need to try to live and settle in that province. I am assuming the OPs concern is because he may have been sponsored by SINP (but only guessing).