+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Layoff on Closed work Permit

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
I'm on a closed work permit (intra company transfer) visa, last week I got a notice period for a week due to company poor sales. I would like to know how long it will take to transfer to another employer? Does it requires an LMIA? If its then how long it will take for a software engineer title (IT)? Am I eligible for an Employment Insurance?

Is it easy to get an employer to transfer my closed work permit to their company?

Please help me if anyone has any experience with it. Thank you.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I have not had a lot of experience with intra company transfers, but I don't think you can get another type like that unless you originally work for the employer doing the transfer.

You will need a company to go through LMIA. Takes between 4-6 month and costs them money. Your closed work permit cannot be transferred unfortunately.

Reactions: Qwertypod

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
I have not had a lot of experience with intra company transfers, but I don't think you can get another type like that unless you originally work for the employer doing the transfer.

You will need a company to go through LMIA. Takes between 4-6 month and costs them money. Your closed work permit cannot be transferred unfortunately.
Ok. Thanks. I'm in a bad situation as it's fourth quarter so the changes of finding an employer is difficult until jan end. Do you know am I eligible for an employment insurance from Ontario Province?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok. Thanks. I'm in a bad situation as it's fourth quarter so the changes of finding an employer is difficult until jan end. Do you know am I eligible for an employment insurance from Ontario Province?
How long have you worked in Ontario? When does your work permit end? This is not really hiring season plus many employers are not willing to go through the hassle of hiring foreign nationals.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Closed work permit holders are usually refused for EI, as a requirement is that you are "are ready, willing and capable of working each day". As you are on a closed work permit, you don't really meet that requirement because you can't just take any job you find.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Closed work permit holders are usually refused for EI, as a requirement is that you are "are ready, willing and capable of working each day". As you are on a closed work permit, you don't really meet that requirement because you can't just take any job you find.
Good point. Forgot about that.

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
If your wife did not receive her SOWP you should inform CIC about your layoffs.
I did called CIC about SOWP, they are saying wait until december mid bez they are processing june application now. Even though her application was pending from past 3 months.

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
Ok. I was told will be getting severance pay (basic) for 3 months as per Ontario standard. Thank you.

If I find an employer, is there any way to transfer work permit within a month? I'm in IT(Software Engineer), Is there any expedited process for foreign skilled workers?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok. I was told will be getting severance pay (basic) for 3 months as per Ontario standard. Thank you.

If I find an employer, is there any way to transfer work permit within a month? I'm in IT(Software Engineer), Is there any expedited process for foreign skilled workers?
You can’t transfer a work permit. You start again. 3 months isn’t standard. Most larger companies do give severance based on the amount of years you’ve worked for the company but that isn’t by law.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did called CIC about SOWP, they are saying wait until december mid bez they are processing june application now. Even though her application was pending from past 3 months.
Did you inform them about your change in circumstances that you have been laid off and are no longer employed at the company? You need to norm CIC about any changes in your circumstances that you have put in the SOWP application. Your spouse is applying for a SOWP based on job you no longer have. You can also contact via webform.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

No, you can't transfer a work permit. You need a job offer from a new employer with a positive LMIA in order apply for a new work permit. There is no expediting.

raj123.r

Jul 5, 2019
Did you inform them about your change in circumstances that you have been laid off and are no longer employed at the company? You need to norm CIC about any changes in your circumstances that you have put in the SOWP application. Your spouse is applying for a SOWP based on job you no longer have. You can also contact via webform.
Yes. I did ask them but they mentioned have to wait until december for a confirmation on SOWP. CIC said there won't be any impact to SOWP as my work permit is valid until 2021.