+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lay off from job while PR application with BCPNP in progress

az.social67

May 30, 2023
Hi there,

I got BCPNP nomination under Skilled Worker Category ( Tech Pilot; NOC-2173) last year and applied for PR in Nov 2022. It's been almost 7 months since applying, as per the PR tracker, it shows as Biometrics and Medical are Completed and Eligibility and BG Verification are in progress.

Unfortunately, I will be getting laid off from the company by the end of June (in a month) because of a company merger. I have been working in this company in the same role for a little over a year now. If my PR application is not approved by the end of June, what would happen to my application?

Should I inform BCPNP immediately even though I have completed 1 year working for this position? Are there any exemptions?
Should I still find a similar job to maintain the PNP active? If so, how many days will I get to find a job?
Do I have any other better options left to make this PR journey a success?

Note: For PNP under the skilled worker category, a full-time job offer is required with permanent employment or a contract with at least 1 year.

Looking forward to your valuable advice.
TIA

Last edited:

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
You should IMMEDIATELY inform the BC office of the layoff. They will advise you and possibly give you some time to secure another employment. When you communicate with the office they are better able to keep your application on track.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi there,

I got BCPNP nomination under Skilled Worker Category ( Tech Pilot; NOC-2173) last year and applied for PR in Nov 2022. It's been almost 7 months since applying, as per the PR tracker, it shows as Biometrics and Medical are Completed and Eligibility and BG Verification are in progress.

Unfortunately, I will be getting laid off from the company by the end of June (in a month) because of a company merger. I have been working in this company in the same role for a little over a year now. If my PR application is not approved by the end of June, what would happen to my application?

Should I inform BCPNP immediately even though I have completed 1 year working for this position? Are there any exemptions?
Should I still find a similar job to maintain the PNP active? If so, how many days will I get to find a job?
Do I have any other better options left to make this PR journey a success?

Note: For PNP under the skilled worker category, a full-time job offer is required with permanent employment or a contract with at least 1 year.

Looking forward to your valuable advice.
TIA
The most important step at first is inform immigration Canada.

BC PNP nominees are currently given documents upon receiving their nomination that clearly set out their responsibilities, including updating BC PNP upon any loss of their employment. Failure to do so could lead to revocation of the nomination.

az.social67

May 30, 2023
You should IMMEDIATELY inform the BC office of the layoff. They will advise you and possibly give you some time to secure another employment. When you communicate with the office they are better able to keep your application on track.
Thanks. Any idea how much time they would offer to secure another job?

az.social67

May 30, 2023
The most important step at first is inform immigration Canada.

BC PNP nominees are currently given documents upon receiving their nomination that clearly set out their responsibilities, including updating BC PNP upon any loss of their employment. Failure to do so could lead to revocation of the nomination.
Is it like we should inform both BCPNP and IRCC Canada or we should inform BCPNP and they would guide what to do next?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Is it like we should inform both BCPNP and IRCC Canada or we should inform BCPNP and they would guide what to do next?
For now you should inform Bc pnp . They give you 90 days to find new job . When you find new job they will reissue you nomination certificate and then you resend it to CIC.

az.social67

May 30, 2023
For now you should inform Bc pnp . They give you 90 days to find new job . When you find new job they will reissue you nomination certificate and then you resend it to CIC.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking we get a shorter time like a couple of weeks only to find a job, not 90 days.
In this case, when we inform BCPNP about the layoff, will IRCC put our PR application on hold immediately without processing?
If I apply for EI once I lose my job, will it impact my PR in anyways?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks for the info. I was thinking we get a shorter time like a couple of weeks only to find a job, not 90 days.
In this case, when we inform BCPNP about the layoff, will IRCC put our PR application on hold immediately without processing?
If I apply for EI once I lose my job, will it impact my PR in anyways?
No your application will still be processed. Only issue will be CIC will be asking for Paystubs, job letter from new job . Goto your BC pnp profile and submit post nomination request for lay off . They will give you good time to find job . Please start looking job ASAP to avoid any hassle. Once you find new job , send job letter, business license and other documents to BC PNP too . Most probably they will ask you.

az.social67

May 30, 2023
No your application will still be processed. Only issue will be CIC will be asking for Paystubs, job letter from new job . Goto your BC pnp profile and submit post nomination request for lay off . They will give you good time to find job . Please start looking job ASAP to avoid any hassle. Once you find new job , send job letter, business license and other documents to BC PNP too . Most probably they will ask you.
Thanks for info. I couldn't find these details anywhere else. I've already started applying for jobs.

If I apply for EI and get the benefits until I find another job, will it impact my PR in anyways?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks for info. I couldn't find these details anywhere else. I've already started applying for jobs.

If I apply for EI and get the benefits until I find another job, will it impact my PR in anyways?
Not sure about that but you certainly have to email PNP and explain your situation. They are quite understanding. You can claim EI while finding job but make sure you find within timeframe they will give you. Search job on indeed and Job bank .

Kumonga9000

Nov 21, 2023
Not sure about that but you certainly have to email PNP and explain your situation. They are quite understanding. You can claim EI while finding job but make sure you find within timeframe they will give you. Search job on indeed and Job bank .
I am in a similar situation. My PR application is almost done. All the background checks are passed and they have asked me for my info to create an account for me in a the PR portal. I have given them the info and I am currently waiting for the PR portal credentials (5 days waiting) . I'm most likely getting let go in 2 weeks by the 6th and I've been stressing about BCPNP. I am already applying for new jobs. It's nice to know that I'll have 90 days to find a new job. Thanks a lot for the answer.

p.s. Will they delay my PR portal credentials or will things go on normally? I anticipate that my credentials and eCOPR will come in December but I am still a bit concerned.

joescarl12

Jan 15, 2024
I am in a similar situation. My PR application is almost done. All the background checks are passed and they have asked me for my info to create an account for me in a the PR portal. I have given them the info and I am currently waiting for the PR portal credentials (5 days waiting) . I'm most likely getting let go in 2 weeks by the 6th and I've been stressing about BCPNP. I am already applying for new jobs. It's nice to know that I'll have 90 days to find a new job. Thanks a lot for the answer.

p.s. Will they delay my PR portal credentials or will things go on normally? I anticipate that my credentials and eCOPR will come in December but I am still a bit concerned.
Hi @Kumonga9000, will IRCC stop processing the PR once you notified BC PNP about the unemployment? wish you received eCOPR already (I'm in a same situation).

Princes Queen

Star Member
May 13, 2019
Hi everyone,
Back in November 2020, I applied under BC PnP Tech Pilot Stream got my noimnation from BC PNP after a week and then got nomination from IRCC. Then from IRCC I got my AOR in early January 2021. I was on close work permit which was valid till end of January 2021. Before the expiry of my close work perimt I applied and got my bridge open work permit. I sent my open work perimt to BC PNP office. Additionally, with open work perimt I continue to work with same employer till JUNE 2021. Then I stopped working and did not informed BC PNP about my changes till my PR confirmation (because I do not know if I have to inform. Also I had open work permit which allows me to work anywhere so I did not inform). I got my PR in the month of September 2021. Will this affect my Citizenship application?

Here is my situation:
NOV 2020 BC PNP nomination.
DEC 2020 IRCC nomination.
AOR 10 January 2021 from IRCC.
Close work permit expiry date January 31 2021.
12 January 2021 Applied for open work permit.
20 January 2021 got Open work permit (also informed the BC PNP that will continue to work with same employer).
June 2021 stopped working with employer becasue job offer was till June. That time I was having open work permit with me.
September 2021 PR confirmation. (from June 2021 till September 2021 did not worked with any employer, and also by mistake did not informed BC PNP changes in my job because I though I had open work permit which allows me to work with any employer so it would not affect my application even if I work on low paying job).
2024 time to apply for citizenship.
Will my situation affect my citizenship application?
Anyone can help me please?

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Hi everyone,
Back in November 2020, I applied under BC PnP Tech Pilot Stream got my noimnation from BC PNP after a week and then got nomination from IRCC. Then from IRCC I got my AOR in early January 2021. I was on close work permit which was valid till end of January 2021. Before the expiry of my close work perimt I applied and got my bridge open work permit. I sent my open work perimt to BC PNP office. Additionally, with open work perimt I continue to work with same employer till JUNE 2021. Then I stopped working and did not informed BC PNP about my changes till my PR confirmation (because I do not know if I have to inform. Also I had open work permit which allows me to work anywhere so I did not inform). I got my PR in the month of September 2021. Will this affect my Citizenship application?

Here is my situation:
NOV 2020 BC PNP nomination.
DEC 2020 IRCC nomination.
AOR 10 January 2021 from IRCC.
Close work permit expiry date January 31 2021.
12 January 2021 Applied for open work permit.
20 January 2021 got Open work permit (also informed the BC PNP that will continue to work with same employer).
June 2021 stopped working with employer becasue job offer was till June. That time I was having open work permit with me.
September 2021 PR confirmation. (from June 2021 till September 2021 did not worked with any employer, and also by mistake did not informed BC PNP changes in my job because I though I had open work permit which allows me to work with any employer so it would not affect my application even if I work on low paying job).
2024 time to apply for citizenship.
Will my situation affect my citizenship application?
Anyone can help me please?
For citizenship application they ask your SIN and the work history. This misinformation will get caught for sure during the process of citizenship.

Reactions: undersea102

Princes Queen

Star Member
May 13, 2019
For citizenship application they ask your SIN and the work history. This misinformation will get caught for sure during the process of citizenship.
Thanks for your response! This actually was not misinformation. As my employer (Public University) and I we both have to inform PNP but none of us infact forwarded my information. Also, with my employer I worked till August and they sent me salaries too for August month and the offer letter was till July. So, there were so many confusing things from my employer and myside. Therefore, in that confusion I was also not sure if I have to inform. The other reason because I had open work permit in my hand so did not informed.

Is there any way to resolve this matter? I mean if I volunterally tell them that at that time I was not aware of any change in job must be informed to PNP? Waiting for your response. Thanking in advance!

Last edited: