NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering, what is your opinion on getting a lawyer for citizenship? We had a complicated case and it took my husband about 2 years to get residency, but he got it! He can apply for citizenship next month, but I was wondering how easy it is to do it yourself, or should we hire a lawyer? We hired a lawyer for his residency and we're super glad he did!

jcpyeg

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
13-12-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
28-01-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2011
LANDED..........
26-03-2011
This really comes down to personal choice, I suppose. If you can afford a lawyer, and would rather someone else represent you and facilitate the process, that may be the way to go, especially if you're concerned there will be complications. As far as I can tell, the application for citizenship seems to be far less involved than applying for PR (from what I can tell). The application is shorter, you need less documentation (unless they specifically request more, as part of RQ). I've managed to more or less get everything completed and ready to mail in for mine, in just a couple of days. My PR application took months to assemble, due to all the prerequisites (e.g. fingerprints, background check, etc), lengthy forms, additional supporting documentation, etc.

okoy

Jun 18, 2013
IMHO, if you can afford it; I would go for the lawyer. Since they are more familiar on how to handle complex cases and how to best represent them. As earlier posted it is a matter of personal choice.

If turning back time was an option, I would have gotten a lawyer's services since I was RQ'd and all. I have been in the process for almost 2 years and 7 months and am still waiting...

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get more help from this forum for free. There is no simple or complicated cases. Either you deserve, by law to get your citizenship or you don't. If you hire a lawyer you will be granted citizenship but not because the lawyer did something magic, rather it's because you meet all the requirements. I'm not a lawyer and with all the info I got from this forum and others I can say that I can file for anybody who meets the requirements.

c0mputer

Star Member
Jan 5, 2014
Cornwall,ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DO NOT GET A LAWYER-- this is not a rocket science ...i thing with help of this forum you should be fine.

if this is not very complicated and if you do not have any issue handle a paperwork by your self please go ahead and DiY