+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

law professionals

wsm_al

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know if there a chance for Law professionals who have a Law university degree to immigrate to Canada? I don't see it listed in the federal skilled workers program. please share if you know any way (other than arranged employment) that allows Law professionals to immigrate to Canada.
Thanks in advance,

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wsm_al said:
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know if there a chance for Law professionals who have a Law university degree to immigrate to Canada? I don't see it listed in the federal skilled workers program. please share if you know any way (other than arranged employment) that allows Law professionals to immigrate to Canada.
Thanks in advance,
If you qualify under one of the FSW applications despite having your degree in law you can still apply. Your degree does not have to match your NOC.

If your experience has all been practicing law, your options are limited. You need to get a job. If you are either American or Mexican you can get a job without a LMO because lawyers have an exception under NAFTA. But this gets you only a temporary work permit. After you are there for a year you can then apply under the Canadian Experience Class (if it still exists then) or maybe under Express Entry (if you meet the requirements once they are published).

Good luck.

wsm_al

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
future_canadian said:
If you qualify under one of the FSW applications despite having your degree in law you can still apply. Your degree does not have to match your NOC.

If your experience has all been practicing law, your options are limited. You need to get a job. If you are either American or Mexican you can get a job without a LMO because lawyers have an exception under NAFTA. But this gets you only a temporary work permit. After you are there for a year you can then apply under the Canadian Experience Class (if it still exists then) or maybe under Express Entry (if you meet the requirements once they are published).

Good luck.
Thank you so much for your reply! yes all the work experience is practising law. and not from USA or Mexico. so LMO is required. it is hard to get job offer because foreign lawyers must obtain a license first to practice in Canada. and getting a license requires challenging a lot of exams. I hope there is an easier way..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
wsm_al said:
Thank you so much for your reply! yes all the work experience is practising law. and not from USA or Mexico. so LMO is required. it is hard to get job offer because foreign lawyers must obtain a license first to practice in Canada. and getting a license requires challenging a lot of exams. I hope there is an easier way..
I don't see it happening as a lawyer. Do you have experience in any other profession?

mekhalabenny

Jul 12, 2019
Hi, is it possible to find a job in the legal field on arrival, not as lawyer but probably as a legal assistant, contracts advisor, labour relations etc?
Do share you experience and any tips from your side would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, is it possible to find a job in the legal field on arrival, not as lawyer but probably as a legal assistant, contracts advisor, labour relations etc?
Do share you experience and any tips from your side would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
There is a surplus of lawyers in Canada. Many legal assistant and paralegal tasks have been farmed out. You would likely need further education for many of these things. It will really depend on what your qualifications and work experience. Would encourage you to look at job postings and see what types of qualifications are required.

gaurav_3415

Feb 6, 2021
Hi

I have a Bachelor's of Law (Hons.) 5-year course from GGSIPU INDIA - If we proceed to get ECA from WES then they would assess it as Bachelor's Degree (4 year) as per the WES equivalency tool.

It seems that IQAS/CES would evaluate this as a First Professional Degree - Can someone please confirm this Or recommend where should I get the ECA done from?

The CRS points would drastically change in the scenario.

Also, IRCC claims that Law degrees are professional degrees and extra points can be claimed even if it's assessed as a "Bachelors of Law" or "First Professional Degree"

Thanks
Gaurav