+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last semester of University program and can't pay tuition

Jan 31, 2017
Hello,

I'm in my last semester of my engineering program. Unfortunately, I haven't been allowed to register because of unpaid tuition. Now if I take this semester off, I have to go back to school next Winter of 2018 because my final courses are only offered in the Winter. I have pleaded with financial services because I have a job offer after graduation but they still insisted I take the semester off. My study permit expires in July and I know taking the semester off could affect an extension. By the way, I have been in Canada for over 5 years.
What do you think I should do? Thanks

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
I wouldn't even enroll myself in a program without a proper financial backup/Condition. Firstly , You shouldn't have started this program if you didn't have the funds to pursue it. You'll most likely be putting your PGWP on the line if you take this semester off. The Immigration will take this serious because it's in the end of your program which is significant on the transcript. Try to apply for loan as soon as possible and finish the degree. Borrow some money Atleast.

Jan 31, 2017
varunnarayan said:
I wouldn't even enroll myself in a program without a proper financial backup/Condition. Firstly , You shouldn't have started this program if you didn't have the funds to pursue it. You'll most likely be putting your PGWP on the line if you take this semester off. The Immigration will take this serious because it's in the end of your program which is significant on the transcript. Try to apply for loan as soon as possible and finish the degree. Borrow some money Atleast.
Hi, I lost my father and he was paying my tuition. Can I apply for loan in Canada as a temporary resident?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
broke_intlstudent said:
Hi, I lost my father and he was paying my tuition. Can I apply for loan in Canada as a temporary resident?
I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

You *might* be able to get a student loan in Canada, depending on your circumstances. Your first stop should be to talk to the international students' office at your study institution, in FAQ to you should already have done so.

HOWEVER: are you saying you already have a tuition fees debt?

Jan 31, 2017
Lammawitch said:
I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

You *might* be able to get a student loan in Canada, depending on your circumstances. Your first stop should be to talk to the international students' office at your study institution, in FAQ to you should already have done so.

HOWEVER: are you saying you already have a tuition fees debt?
Yes, I have spoken to my international office. I called all the Banks today and found out I'm not entitled to a loan

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Sorry about the loss. what you can do is try to extend your study permit but as you said your courses are not offered till end of 2018, I am not sure how will that work though.
Best option is to try to get a loan from someone back home or try to get money from your relatives or friends here in Canada. Then you can work while you study and pay the money off.

I hope it helps a bit.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
First let me say, he came here to ask for help and questions. Hindsight is always 20/20, but talking about "you would've done" in the past doesn't help find any solutions, which is what he came for. With that said...

Have you looked into any scholarship money that you might be eligible for? Also, have you checked to see if there is a monthly payment plan that you might be able to spread the cost out over the course of the semester? I'm not sure how old you are, but do you have retirement fund you may be able to borrow from and repay? Usually every problem has a solution, sometimes you have to think a little bit harder in order to find it.