+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last Name Change

originhay

Feb 9, 2012
I have arrived in Canada in August and already received my PR card with my maiden last name, but applied for SIN with my husband's last name because decided to use my husbands last name. How can I change my last name on PR card. Can find any info or even get hold of anyone at CIC. Please let me know if someone when thru this already.

Thanks,

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
originhay said:
I have arrived in Canada in August and already received my PR card with my maiden last name, but applied for SIN with my husband's last name because decided to use my husbands last name. How can I change my last name on PR card. Can find any info or even get hold of anyone at CIC. Please let me know if someone when thru this already.

Thanks,
I'm not sure if you even need to, but if you do, I'd contact Ottawa. :)

kire3

May 24, 2012
parker24 said:
I'm not sure if you even need to, but if you do, I'd contact Ottawa. :)
my wife did this before..it's just like renewing a PR card but you need to inform CIC that you'll change your last name.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
You need to pay 50 bucks, submit copies of your health card and drivers license and copy of marriage license along with the application..... It is sent to Sydney, NS. address is on link below. someone on this site was saying you had to apply for a legal name change in Ontario, but your marriage is a legal name change document.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp

Legal change of name document

If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must send in supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change:

a certified copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, marriage certificate issued by civil authorities with your new name or a divorce decree with your new name, and
a certified copy of your provincial driver's licence, provincial identification card or provincial health card in the requested name.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
what kind of ID are you trying to use? when I got my Ontario driver's license my old license had my maiden name I used it and the marriage certificate and had no problem at all, from what I understand from service Canada your CoPR can be used, your passport and CoPR should have the same name on them otherwise we could just change our names when we land in Canada, but as said they must be issued in the same name so you would use your CoPR and your marriage license to get your health card, did you get a SIN? if so how? getting a SIN and health card should be about the same. tho I have not tried to get a health card yet as I havn't landed yet this is just what service Canada told me over the phone. anyways once you get the documents they need you can change your PR card.

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife has the same problem. She has not landed yet and she will land with her current passport and COPR which shows her maiden name on both documents. Once she arrives to Canada she will fill every application (PR Card, SIN, OHIP, Drivers license, etc) with her maiden name, once she completes all process and gets all documents. We will inform all authorities about her name change later.

PR Card, SIN etc. name change is easy. Changing her name on her Russian passport is very difficult. Her passport and her PR card have to show same surname, otherwise she will have travel problems.

Hopefully we could do it in Canada otherwise she needs to go back to her country for passport change.

originhay

Feb 9, 2012
I went 4 times to get my health card and got sent back all the times. First I had brought my proof of address and it did not satisfied them. I have my CoPR (now PR) and passport with my maiden name and application with bank statement made on my husbands last name. I called them and they told me that I can just show my marriage certificate to change it, but physically when I tried to explain got send back. I was told that this location of Service Ontario is private and does not belong to government thats why they do not have authority to do that. What a BS? now as I have understood I have to go thru legal name change and apply for new PR card which will take another 3 months is there another way to get my Health Card issued? Can marriage certificate been showed for that? My SIN number was processed with marriage certificate with no problem.

Galip

May 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
originhay said:
I went 4 times to get my health card and got sent back all the times. First I had brought my proof of address and it did not satisfied them. I have my CoPR (now PR) and passport with my maiden name and application with bank statement made on my husbands last name. I called them and they told me that I can just show my marriage certificate to change it, but physically when I tried to explain got send back. I was told that this location of Service Ontario is private and does not belong to government thats why they do not have authority to do that. What a BS? now as I have understood I have to go thru legal name change and apply for new PR card which will take another 3 months is there another way to get my Health Card issued? Can marriage certificate been showed for that? My SIN number was processed with marriage certificate with no problem.
This information on the below link may help you about the name change.

http://www.ontario.ca/en/life_events/married/012160