+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last name change required ?

manasa323

Nov 17, 2020
Hi All,

Thank you for your time in answering this question.I have Canada PR and got married recently.I am planning to apply dependent PR for my husband.Currently, he is living in India and he has applied for Police clearance certificate. We came to know that from September 1 it became mandatory that we need to update our spouse name in passport. So, he has booked appointment to get the spouse name updated in the passport.So, the question is does my name in his passport should be same as my passport name or should my last name be changed to his.All my documents are with my Maiden name. Am bit confused here.Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't think it's a Canadian rule. So check to see if Indian Government is setting this new rule and get your information from the government source.

btw Canadians do not have spouse names in our passports. (And we can choose to change our lastname or keep our maiden names after we got married)

manasa323

Nov 17, 2020
Yes, this is Indian rule. They just made mandatory for Police Clearance Certificate. Thank you for your advice I will try to check with any lawyer from India.