+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last minute questions about Inland Spousal Application

ExpatDad

Jun 17, 2018
We are about to submit my wife's Canada Class (inland) application, but we have a few questions if anybody could possibly help us:

1) We have notarized copies of the Police Check, and a certified translation. Do we have to submit the original?

2) Because we have lived together for 6 years, been married for 4, have 2 kids, and have the required documentation that we live together, we are exempt from needing to provide additional relationship documentation. However, we don't know how we should answer Question 11 on imm5532:
"Is there more information you wish to share to support your relationship?".​
We do have a big age gap (34 years), so we thought maybe we should address it here. But, I guess we feel like 5 years of living, working, traveling, and having kids together kind of speaks for itself. What have other people, exempt from the 'additional documentation' requirement added (or not) in this space?

3) The government protocol in my wife's home country is to put a dash between the first and middle names in all official documents (Passport and Birth certificates) but the dash is not part of her name. We have added the dash where it says, "Exactly as appears on the passport", but not in the other fields, and we have added a additional-note-document explaining this. Do you think this will be sufficient? Has anybody else faced this issue, and how did you resolve it?

4) I am self-employed and we have been living overseas until recently. Because we were living in a variety of jurisdictions, I invoiced through my company and we shared the income. During this time, she contributed by volunteering her time and helping me out with my work. If her application for a work permit is successful, we want to set up a company. We have appended a note to her Work Permit and Background form that explains this. Has anyone else been in this situation, and how did you explain or document it?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
1. i will include the original copy of the police certificate in the application package....but keep a copy of the PCC to myself for any future reference.

2. "Is there more information you wish to share to support your relationship?".....this is personal, provide any additional information or explanation you and your spouse think could support your relationship and help proof the genuineness of your relationship......what and how you provide any more information is up to you.

3. additional note document explaining this will be sufficient.

4. Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships.

Notice of Assessment or a proof of income statement (Option C) for the most recent taxation year is required only from the Sponsor and not the Principal Applicant......if the sponsor has been filing for tax, the sponsor should include their CRA NOA.....the applicant is not required to provide CRA NOA.

If you cannot provide a Notice of Assessment or a proof of income statement (Option C) for the most recent taxation year, you must
provide an explanation on a separate sheet of paper, accompanied by relevant supporting financial documentation to show how you can
support the person(s) you are sponsoring.

If you have no NOA for the most recent taxation year, you may provide explanation.....like explain your savings, any investments, employment and how you plan to support your family.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
We are about to submit my wife's Canada Class (inland) application, but we have a few questions if anybody could possibly help us:

1) We have notarized copies of the Police Check, and a certified translation. Do we have to submit the original?

2) Because we have lived together for 6 years, been married for 4, have 2 kids, and have the required documentation that we live together, we are exempt from needing to provide additional relationship documentation. However, we don't know how we should answer Question 11 on imm5532:
"Is there more information you wish to share to support your relationship?".​
We do have a big age gap (34 years), so we thought maybe we should address it here. But, I guess we feel like 5 years of living, working, traveling, and having kids together kind of speaks for itself. What have other people, exempt from the 'additional documentation' requirement added (or not) in this space?

3) The government protocol in my wife's home country is to put a dash between the first and middle names in all official documents (Passport and Birth certificates) but the dash is not part of her name. We have added the dash where it says, "Exactly as appears on the passport", but not in the other fields, and we have added a additional-note-document explaining this. Do you think this will be sufficient? Has anybody else faced this issue, and how did you resolve it?

4) I am self-employed, and my wife and I have worked as a team for 3 years. However, during that time, because we were living in a variety of jurisdictions, I invoiced through my company and we simply shared the income. During this time she had no formal or tax status. That will change if her application for a work permit is successful. We have appended a note to her Work Permit and Background form that explains this. Has anyone else been in this situation, and how did you explain or document it?

Thanks for your help!
So you mean you do not have NOA? If you live in Canada and own a business, you still need to file your own tax return. They are more concern on the sponsor's income vs the principle applicant's.

Btw. It sounds like she has been working illegally under your company.... She better stop.