+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Testing for Citizenship

vness

Apr 18, 2016
Just wondering what test those of you who needed to provide a Language test used!

My husband did the CELPIP test. He passed the speaking portion with 4 but the listening he was given a zero. He told me he had to listen to a series of conversations and remember what was said and then read the question and answers while a timer was counting down!

This seems kind of off base from the citizenship requirement of being able to have basic communication skills to get by in Canadian Day to Day life! I am born, raised and educated in Canada and when I tried the sample test had a hard time remembering the spoken texts to answer correctly! It is more a test of memory then comprehension! lol. You cant even take notes as you are not allowed a paper and pen!

What have you all done? Is there another test or are we doing something wrong? He has been in Canada for 10 years and holds a great job in service where he communicates daily on English, so you would think this shouldn't be so complicated!

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
Hey Vness...you can ask him to give a shot at IELTS in that case...... From my experience, they do allow you to take notes ..and give sufficient time between...playing the audio and letting you scribble some notes......I was not aware CELPIP didnt allow pen/paper...thats really odd...

Also, if he hasnt done it already, it wont hurt to take some mock listening tests before the exam day just so that he gets used to them...IELTS sends you some mock tests when you sign up with them for the exam...Hope that helps!

ajanarth

Sep 11, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2016
AOR Received.
25-03-2016
IELTS Request
8-04-2016
Med's Done....
8-04-2016
Passport Req..
23-11-2016
Just wondering what test those of you who needed to provide a Language test used!

My husband did the CELPIP test. He passed the speaking portion with 4 but the listening he was given a zero. He told me he had to listen to a series of conversations and remember what was said and then read the question and answers while a timer was counting down!

This seems kind of off base from the citizenship requirement of being able to have basic communication skills to get by in Canadian Day to Day life! I am born, raised and educated in Canada and when I tried the sample test had a hard time remembering the spoken texts to answer correctly! It is more a test of memory then comprehension! lol. You cant even take notes as you are not allowed a paper and pen!

What have you all done? Is there another test or are we doing something wrong? He has been in Canada for 10 years and holds a great job in service where he communicates daily on English, so you would think this shouldn't be so complicated!
I do not know what is his background, if he has degree or diplamo certificate that states primary language or medium of the course english, that should suffice as language proficiency proof.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

vness

Apr 18, 2016

vness

Apr 18, 2016
Hey Vness...you can ask him to give a shot at IELTS in that case...... From my experience, they do allow you to take notes ..and give sufficient time between...playing the audio and letting you scribble some notes......I was not aware CELPIP didnt allow pen/paper...thats really odd...

Also, if he hasnt done it already, it wont hurt to take some mock listening tests before the exam day just so that he gets used to them...IELTS sends you some mock tests when you sign up with them for the exam...Hope that helps!

Thank you!!! I did see that test online and thought it sounded better!

You could not bring anything into the room for the CELPIP, not even paper and pen! It took forever and was super stressful he said! I am going to look into the other one now and as you suggested have him take some practice ones!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thank you!!! I did see that test online and thought it sounded better!

You could not bring anything into the room for the CELPIP, not even paper and pen! It took forever and was super stressful he said! I am going to look into the other one now and as you suggested have him take some practice ones!
I did Celpip some years ago and we were allowed to use pen and paper to take notes..otherwise it's pretty rough to remember, true.

vness

Apr 18, 2016
I find it not in line with the citizenship requirements of having a basic command of the language in listening and speaking but then have to know how to read (well) in that language and under a timer!