+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Test??

jinneebhat

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010
Have already completed 4 yrs in Canada but never applied or gave for English test. Have BE degree from an Indian college that was English based but nowhere in the degree it states 'English'
Please suggest whats the best way to get language proof

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Have already completed 4 yrs in Canada but never applied or gave for English test. Have BE degree from an Indian college that was English based but nowhere in the degree it states 'English'
Please suggest whats the best way to get language proof
Do you have a transcript or something similar that shows that your program was entirely conducted in English?

Reactions: jinneebhat

jinneebhat

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010
Do you have a transcript or something similar that shows that your program was entirely conducted in English?
The list of courses has English as a subject. Otherwise the degree and marksheets are in English. Besides that nothing that specifically says that entire course was in English(neither B.E nor Masters) :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The list of courses has English as a subject. Otherwise the degree and marksheets are in English. Besides that nothing that specifically says that entire course was in English(neither B.E nor Masters) :)
It is unfortunately not enough that the degree and marksheets are in English. They won't accept that as proof since one can get English-language documents for non-English-language programs.

But before you worry too much about this: Didn't you take a language test when you applied for PR originally? Like IELTS or CELPIP?

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Just get a letter from your institution that specifies that the program's language fornat was English. Attach along with copy of your diploma.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I disagree with Spyfry on this one. The guide stats:

You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • an official translation of the original document and
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
So if the course was taught in English and degree and transcripts are in English, IRCC should accept this. The issue would be if the documents were in a language other than English.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

I disagree with Spyfry on this one. The guide stats:

You attended a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • an official translation of the original document and
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
So if the course was taught in English and degree and transcripts are in English, IRCC should accept this. The issue would be if the documents were in a language other than English.
I don't see how we disagree? Maybe I was unclear with my posts, sorry about that.

Of course if the program was in English it is OK. I'm just saying it is not enough that the transcript itself is written in English, the program must actually haven been taught in English.

Example: In Europe, due to EU rules, you can get an English version of any university degree. So even if your whole Bachelor was exclusively taught in, say, Italian, you could still get a University degree written in the English language. But obviously that degree wouldn't be enough as proof of language. The program itself must be in English.

So, yeah, I don't see how we disagree. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is unfortunately not enough that the degree and marksheets are in English. They won't accept that as proof since one can get English-language documents for non-English-language programs.

But before you worry too much about this: Didn't you take a language test when you applied for PR originally? Like IELTS or CELPIP?
I took this post to mean the documents they have, in English, wouldn't be enough.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I took this post to mean the documents they have, in English, wouldn't be enough.
Well, as said: if the documents state that the program itself was in English, then it is enough. The simple fact that the documentation is in English is not enough.

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Well, as said: if the documents state that the program itself was in English, then it is enough. The simple fact that the documentation is in English is not enough.
I attest it. My brother did the same mistake only to hear back from IRCC 2 months later that his application has been refused as his language proof has not been met. He had a masters degree from India and the medium of instruction was in English. The transcript or Diploma nowhere attested that the medium of instruction was English although the transcripts were in English. So don't make that mistake and fool yourself.

Reactions: spyfy

jinneebhat

Star Member
Jun 9, 2010

I attest it. My brother did the same mistake only to hear back from IRCC 2 months later that his application has been refused as his language proof has not been met. He had a masters degree from India and the medium of instruction was in English. The transcript or Diploma nowhere attested that the medium of instruction was English although the transcripts were in English. So don't make that mistake and fool yourself.
So what is the solution for it? Yes all my BE and masters was in English but it doesn't exclusively mentioned in the degree certificates even if its in English
I did not give IELTS since I applied through a program that hired H1B visa people in USA and were provided invitation to come and settle in Canada on a PR. So should I go for a English test? If yes, which one is the easiest and quickest to enrol?
Or maybe, I should take a chance and wait for them to reject

swapan1189

Aug 5, 2014
Amritsar
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2014
Nomination.....
10-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with inital application
File Transfer...
16-04-2015 (second line)
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
22-05-2015 and 3rd line updated on 02/06/2015
H
So what is the solution for it? Yes all my BE and masters was in English but it doesn't exclusively mentioned in the degree certificates even if its in English
I did not give IELTS since I applied through a program that hired H1B visa people in USA and were provided invitation to come and settle in Canada on a PR. So should I go for a English test? If yes, which one is the easiest and quickest to enrol?
Or maybe, I should take a chance and wait for them to reject
Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I have done bachelors from India but the degree doesn't say that the medium of study was "English".
However,
1. I have a subject called "Communicative English" during my first semester of English.
2. I will get a copy of letter from the university saying the language of study was English.
3. I have done a certificate course from Canada and can attach copy of certificate.

Would these be enough?