+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Requirment

Messi

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All;

I am just wondering about the English language requirement for the citizenship application.
I have graduated from my mother country for both high school & university and I was studying everything in English.
I have my university graduation certificate and it indicates on it that 75% of the courses were in English and at the same time I just got a reference letter from my school that I was studying all the subjects in English

So what I have now is:
1- My university Graduation indicating that 75% of the courses are in English
2- My high school graduation certificate with a reference letter saying that I was studying in English.

Are these certificates sufficient for the English requirements?

Your replies are highly appreciated.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
2. Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:

A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.

Note:You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. The diploma, certificate or transcript should be in English or French. The document must clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction. If the original document is not in English or French then you must also include a letter in English or French from the institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with a translation of the original document.
It is specific that it should be your diploma or transcript. If your secondary school Diploma/transcripts say that you should be okay. It is not clear from your post whether your high school graduation certificate or the letter that says everything is English. If it is graduation certificate you should be good. Or I am not sure how they would treat letters from school.
You can call the CIC to make sure.

What is below may not be relevant. Just additional info about how they treat letters from school. When they say transcripts they mean it. They need to add this to the instructions for children's record, as they may have received several applications with letters from school.
For children's school records they say specifically as below.
Note: Student identification cards and letters from institutions, teachers, principals are not accepted as official education records. For example, an official transcript from an educational institution would satisfy this requirement. A letter from an institution is only acceptable in the following two circumstances:

1. Child has recently enrolled in school and a report card has not yet been issued
2. Child is being homeschooled (see below)

Messi

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the original document is not in English or French then you must also include a letter in English or French from the institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with a translation of the original document.

According to this quote, CIC is accepting the letters from the institutions to prove the language of instruction in addition to the high school certificate

Am I understand right?

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Munchenxx said:
For me I would take an IELTS test directly to save time and energy..
IELTS is expensive and takes more time. CELPIP General LS is sufficient for citizenship.

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hobbes said:
IELTS is expensive and takes more time. CELPIP General LS is sufficient for citizenship.

We'll I said for me... Since I took it times before.not familiar with CELPIP,,is it simpler comparing with IELTS? How long can I collect test result after take it?

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
CELPIP general LS tests listening and speaking only, unlike IELTS that tests reading and writing as well. If you use English in your everyday life, it's a cake walk. You will know the results in 8 days. Add a few more days to get the paper copy.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
Messi said:
If the original document is not in English or French then you must also include a letter in English or French from the institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with a translation of the original document.

According to this quote, CIC is accepting the letters from the institutions to prove the language of instruction in addition to the high school certificate

Am I understand right?
I don't think so. Original document here is graduation/diploma certificate or transcripts. There is nothing mentioned about the letters. If these documents are not in English or French you will have to add a translation.

If my transcript/diploma/graduation certificate doesn't say English I would rather take a third party test. CELPIP-General LS is specifically for citizenship and less expensive, also easier.

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hobbes said:
CELPIP general LS tests listening and speaking only, unlike IELTS that tests reading and writing as well. If you use English in your everyday life, it's a cake walk. You will know the results in 8 days. Add a few more days to get the paper copy.

Thanks a lot for the useful info! Is it easy to get enrolled in the test? For IETLS we need to apply one month in advance..and costs 230dollars, and 10-15 biz days to collect the transcript.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Munchenxx said:
Thanks a lot for the useful info! Is it easy to get enrolled in the test? For IETLS we need to apply one month in advance..and costs 230dollars, and 10-15 biz days to collect the transcript.
You can register online: http://celpiptest2014.ca/

Subject of course to availability of space at your chosen test centre.

BTW, I thought IELTS was more like $300?

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hobbes said:
You can register online: http://celpiptest2014.ca/

Subject of course to availability of space at your chosen test centre.

BTW, I thought IELTS was more like $300?

Thanks for the link!

Fornielts, the last time I took it was in 2012 and it was 230 +tax if memory serves..

abugr8

Jul 2, 2014
hey please someone help me where to post queries i have been trying since days there is no option?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abugr8 said:
hey please someone help me where to post queries i have been trying since days there is no option?
Whats your question?

abugr8

Jul 2, 2014
if i work for a year after post graduation can i apply for PR? how long will the process take?

NSBoy902

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
abugr8 said:
if i work for a year after post graduation can i apply for PR? how long will the process take?
This is a citizenship forum. Not PR.

Your question depends on the Immigration Class you are qualified under which is, most of them, are under review.
If exist, try the nominee program of your province.