+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Requirement for citizenship- College diploma from Humber College

honeyblossom678

Nov 23, 2014

I am a Canadian married to an Italian. I sponsored my husband within Canada on September 2013. My husband became a Permanent Resident on March 20, 2015 and he does qualify for Citizenship on June 2018.

My Husband attended Humber College and he enrolled in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. Humber’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) certificate program is an intensive, full-time academic pathway program. The program integrates reading, writing, listening and speaking skills with an academic focus. You will also benefit from study skills and individual tutoring support. The curriculum is geared toward non-native speakers of English who want to improve their writing, communication and critical thinking skills for entry into college diploma, degree and graduate certificate programs or for further professional development. He graduated in August 2016 with a Ontario College Diploma. I would like to know if he still needs to take a language proficiency test. Any clarification would be appreciated.

I have a question regarding the language requirement as required to apply for citizenship. In the instruction package, it says the following:
Language Requirement
1. All applicants 18-54 years of age MUST submit proof that demonstrates adequate knowledge of English or French (even if your first language is English or French). If you are 18-54 years of age and unable to demonstrate that you have the necessary English or French language ability due to a medical condition, this requirement may be waived. You must submit supporting evidence with your application.
If you do not have proof of language proficiency or the language level needed, you can take a government-funded language program to help you improve your language skills to get a certificate at a level of CLB/NCLC 4.
Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 is considered “Basic Proficiency” and means an individual can:
▪ take part in short, everyday conversations about common topics
▪ understand simple instructions, questions and directions
▪ use basic grammar, including simple structures and tenses and show that you know enough common words and phrases to answer questions and express yourself
2. Choose one of the following types of language proof to submit with your application:
You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.
▪ A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
▪ If the original document is in a different language, include:
a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
an official translation of the original document and
the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution

btbt

Feb 26, 2018

I am a Canadian married to an Italian. I sponsored my husband within Canada on September 2013. My husband became a Permanent Resident on March 20, 2015 and he does qualify for Citizenship on June 2018.

My Husband attended Humber College and he enrolled in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. Humber’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) certificate program is an intensive, full-time academic pathway program. The program integrates reading, writing, listening and speaking skills with an academic focus. You will also benefit from study skills and individual tutoring support. The curriculum is geared toward non-native speakers of English who want to improve their writing, communication and critical thinking skills for entry into college diploma, degree and graduate certificate programs or for further professional development. He graduated in August 2016 with a Ontario College Diploma. I would like to know if he still needs to take a language proficiency test. Any clarification would be appreciated.

I have a question regarding the language requirement as required to apply for citizenship. In the instruction package, it says the following:
Language Requirement
1. All applicants 18-54 years of age MUST submit proof that demonstrates adequate knowledge of English or French (even if your first language is English or French). If you are 18-54 years of age and unable to demonstrate that you have the necessary English or French language ability due to a medical condition, this requirement may be waived. You must submit supporting evidence with your application.
If you do not have proof of language proficiency or the language level needed, you can take a government-funded language program to help you improve your language skills to get a certificate at a level of CLB/NCLC 4.
Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 is considered “Basic Proficiency” and means an individual can:
▪ take part in short, everyday conversations about common topics
▪ understand simple instructions, questions and directions
▪ use basic grammar, including simple structures and tenses and show that you know enough common words and phrases to answer questions and express yourself
2. Choose one of the following types of language proof to submit with your application:
You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.
▪ A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
▪ If the original document is in a different language, include:
a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
an official translation of the original document and
the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
From the bit you quoted:

Choose one of the following types of language proof to submit with your application:
A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.​

which basically says that the Ontario College Diploma is a valid language proof.

As the diploma is in English you don't need a letter from the school to confirm that the program was taught in English.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
He should be fine. Any college course, University course taught in English should be sufficient.
Send in a transcript of the course when you apply.