+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

language proficiency (English) form United States

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
Working at UN for 14 years doesn't necessary mean that you need to know English or you should be excellent in english.

However, I agree that if education is in english and english is required for work then there is no need for english proficiency exam.

There is no harm in giving the exam as it is one of the most easiest exam. People who haev given TOEFL in the past shouldn't have any problems.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
I gave a written explanation about my English language skills. But they wanted me to take the IELTS exam within 120 days after receiving the letter.

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
they accept documents proof issued from institute or university that you finished some study in english not just writen explanation from you ,
gjp said:
I gave a written explanation about my English language skills. But they wanted me to take the IELTS exam within 120 days after receiving the letter.

ManiB

Star Member
May 11, 2007
My native language is English and I am applying from the London Embassy. Can anyone tell me what I need to submit (if anything) to prove my level of proficiency of the English language. Will they take it that because I was born in England, my level of proficiency is high, or do I need to take a test?
(I'm sure some of you may think the answer to the question i'm asking is obvious but I just wanted to double check).

Thanks

M

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ManiB said:
My native language is English and I am applying from the London Embassy. Can anyone tell me what I need to submit (if anything) to prove my level of proficiency of the English language. Will they take it that because I was born in England, my level of proficiency is high, or do I need to take a test?
(I'm sure some of you may think the answer to the question i'm asking is obvious but I just wanted to double check).

Thanks

M

If you were born in the UK, all your schooling was in English, the language or work was in English, and your home language was English, put that in a note on the application, that is all that is required in your case.

PMM

mikelingen

Star Member
Aug 3, 2007
I agree with Thaiguy & Yojimbo,

Be ready to do your IELTS at all times. Its the 'clincher' which will tilt the balance in your favor at all times. Voluntary submission of the IELTS results is recommended towards the end of the application process which is on an average of three years after your AOR. There is an exemption if you have studied in the US, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia & New Zealand.

Mike.

In your case Yojimbo, they could be convinced that you have a reasonable command of the language because you worked in Canada. Proving you can survive in Canada with your language skills.

Applicants must understand the importance of IELTS. Especially those who studied in English medium schools & colleges around the non-English speaking world. ....
- It is the only way CIC can establish that you have reasonable English language skills - a prerequisite for your survival in Canada.

chsieh

Jan 25, 2008
Under everyone's advice, I decided to take the test. While filling up the application form, I encounter question #16 asking me if I wish to take ACADEMIC or GENERAL TRAINING format. What is the difference?

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
The difference between two IELTS modules is that Reading and Writing tests are different in Academic and General. The Listening and the Speaking tests are the same.
The difference in Reading test is that you may have to read 3 longer and more complicated passages in Academic versus 4 smaller and easier texts in General Training.
chsieh said:
Under everyone's advice, I decided to take the test. While filling up the application form, I encounter question #16 asking me if I wish to take ACADEMIC or GENERAL TRAINING format. What is the difference?

mikelingen

Star Member
Aug 3, 2007
chsieh,

The ACADEMIC Module is essentially for students who use English as a second language & wish study in English Language universities in English speaking countries.

The GENERAL Module is for professionals who wish mainly to immigrate to countries like Canada, Australia, England etc., And it is this module you will have to test for to support your immigration claim.

You score marks as under :
IELTS BAND SCORE POINTS YOU GET FOR LANGUAGE SKILLS
--------------------- ----------------------------------------
LISTENING 6.0 to 6.50 2
READING -"- 2
WRITING -"- 2
SPEAKING -"- 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL -"- 8
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LISTENING 7.0 to 8.50 4
READING -"- 4
WRITING -"- 4
SPEAKING -"- 4
TOTAL -"- 16
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for an overall band score of 9 to 10 you get full 20 points for language.

maroraza : I am of the impression that the General Training is far tougher than the Academic Training.

Mike

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mikelingen said:
chsieh,

The ACADEMIC Module is essentially for students who use English as a second language & wish study in English Language universities in English speaking countries.

The GENERAL Module is for professionals who wish mainly to immigrate to countries like Canada, Australia, England etc., And it is this module you will have to test for to support your immigration claim.

You score marks as under :
LISTENING 6.0 to 6.50 2
READING -"- 2
WRITING -"- 2
SPEAKING -"- 2
TOTAL -"- 8
LISTENING 7.0 to 8.50 4
READING -"- 4
WRITING -"- 4
SPEAKING -"- 4
TOTAL -"- 16
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for an overall band score of 9 to 10 you get full 20 points for language.

maroraza : I am of the impression that the General Training is far tougher than the Academic Training.

Mike
The maximum you can get is 16 points for 1 language.

PMM

mikelingen

Star Member
Aug 3, 2007
Oppsss ! Sorry - The max points on language is 16 points please do not consider the last sentence which reads "Band score of 9 to 10 = 20 points.

Mike.

cute

Star Member
Mar 8, 2008
Hi

You can check languge assesment points here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG74.asp

kadaraleem

Mar 19, 2008
Despite a written statement I was asked to appear in ILETS with a compliance period of 120 days. I have worked in the UK for good 6 years as a doctor and now working as a Research Fellow in US and also, had all my education in English. But still... I was little annoyed with the request but tell you the truth, writing IELTS was an interesting exercise..back to the school!! and at one point I thought I will never going to get the desire band... luckily I scored 8.5. So be prepared for the request if your native language is not English. Lot of material available online.

AK

Mar 15, 2008
Despite a written statement I was asked to appear in ILETS with a compliance period of 120 days. I have worked in the UK for good 6 years as a doctor and now working as a Research Fellow in US and also, had all my education in English. But still... I was little annoyed with the request but tell you the truth, writing IELTS was an interesting exercise..back to the school!! and at one point I thought I will never going to get the desire band... luckily I scored 8.5. So be prepared for the request if your native language is not English. Lot of material available online.
Ditto here! I did my BS and MS programs in the US (I have taken the TOEFL, SAT and GRE).
However they still did not seem to accept my written statement and asked for IELTS.
Anyway, I got an overall average is 8 with 9.5 in speaking and listening. Take that suckas