+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Evidence - Having Masters Degree from USA

Canadiangoose

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Hi..

For language evidence, can I just submit my unopened sealed transcript from MY USA university & Degree copy?

I have done my masters in computer science and I did not take english course during my masters. But of course, all my coursses were in english and I the university is in california..

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Canadiangoose said:
Hi..

For language evidence, can I just submit my unopened sealed transcript from MY USA university & Degree copy?

I have done my masters in computer science and I did not take english course during my masters. But of course, all my coursses were in english and I the university is in california..
If you were taking about PR application, it doesn't matter if you have degrees from the US or U.K. , even US and U.K. Natives need to take the test just like everybody else

For citizenship , US degree/transcripts may work but depends...but didn't you have to submit language test for PR? Unless your PR was approved long time ago...

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Canadiangoose said:
Hi..

You may submit your transcript and copy of your degree. The assessing officer will only determine whether it would be accepted or not. If CIC does not accept your language proof, you may need to do IELTS General or CELPIP G or CELPIP G LS.

Canadiangoose

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Thank you for the responses itsmyid and coolguysam.

My background :

1. Studied in India. Completed Bachelors in Engineering
2. Moved to usa to do my masters in 2008
3. Moved to Canada on spousal sponsorship and landed as PRin 2013 January
4. Planning to apply for citizenship in January.

As per cic, it said applicants can submit degree or transcripts to prove their language capabilities. That's why I posted the question.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Canadiangoose said:
Thank you for the responses itsmyid and coolguysam.

My background :

1. Studied in India. Completed Bachelors in Engineering
2. Moved to usa to do my masters in 2008
3. Moved to Canada on spousal sponsorship and landed as PRin 2013 January
4. Planning to apply for citizenship in January.

As per cic, it said applicants can submit degree or transcripts to prove their language capabilities. That's why I posted the question.
I am from India as well:

I submitted the following:
My Bachelors Degree (Computers)
Marksheets
Letter from institute stating that medium of instruction was english

Master's degree (Computers)
Transcripts
Letter from the university stating that medium of instruction was english

These were accepted.

What you can do is get "English medium" letter from your institute/university and attach it with your application (for both bachelors and masters).

Now, remember, it depends upon case to case whether yours would be accepted or not. There must be a internal criteria by which cic can determine if the language proof submitted is acceptable or not. Maybe they check passing score and type of course/education done.... just my wild guess.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Note that what thecoolguysam submitted included documentation verifying that the "medium of instruction was English." This appears to be critical information in the documents from the institution itself. It appears that IRCC will not infer the course was given in the English language based on location of the institution or subject matter of the courses.

There have been reports by some applicants (rather frustrated applicants) whose first and only language is English and whose applications were returned, their submission of a degree from an institution in an English-speaking country (such as the United States) not accepted as proof of competency in one of the official languages. While there may have been other issues with the degree or transcripts submitted in the particular instances, my sense is that the problem is usually rooted in the absence of a direct declaration, on the face of the documentation submitted, that the medium of instruction was English. As I recall, I believe there was one particularly frustrated applicant whose degree was in English or English Literature, and that was not sufficient . . . and again, I am fairly sure that was because the documentation did not specify that the courses were taught in the English language. That is, despite the content of the course solidly supporting the inference that competence in the English language was well demonstrated by completing that course work, IRCC does not make such inferences, and the documentation itself must specifically declare the instruction was in English.

Note too that if the documentation submitted is not satisfactory to prove competence in an official language (English or French), the application will be returned as incomplete. There is a quite recent report in this forum by a frustrated applicant whose first and primary language is English who, as I recall, has had the application returned twice.

I wondered how this might go if I was not such an old man who did not need to submit proof of competence in English or French. And as thecoolguysam has suggested, I suspected that the easiest solution might be to just take one of the official language tests (most at a cost and some inconvenience). But of course my degrees were all obtained several decades ago, and I could imagine how difficult it might be to get the administration of those institutions to understand what I needed let alone actually issue special documentation showing that the instruction was in English (it would be like hunh? what else could it be?).

Canadiangoose

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Thanks Guys...

So, I have my Indian Secondary(SSC Certficate) and Post Secondary Certificate(Intermediate) which says MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IN "ENGLISH" to prove my English language evidence.

I think that would work as per CIC's requirements:

2. Language proof if you are 18-64 years of age

Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:

A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.
Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document.

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I submitted my Master's degree with indication that the language of instruction was English (In German university). Had no problems on that topic.

Canadiangoose

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Hi Ambient2,

Did you get a letter from your University(German) on their official letterhead OR did you just wrote up a letter on your own, like a cover letter?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For my wife, she submitted the following 2 docs:
1. Masters Degree (Genetics)
2. Letter from university stating that medium of instruction was English.
Did not provide any mark-list or transcripts.
The letter from university was in their official letterhead; but was not sealed. IRCC accepted and processed.

rabia_rak

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
4152 (SW)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-Sep-11 (Reached 03-Oct-2012)
AOR Received.
29-Dec-11
File Transfer...
12-Jun-2012
Med's Request
08-Jul-2012 (letter dated 12-Jun-2012)
Med's Done....
18-Jul-2012 (Reached 20-Jul-2012)
Passport Req..
29-Aug-2012
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
ajithpl said:
For my wife, she submitted the following 2 docs:
1. Masters Degree (Genetics)
2. Letter from university stating that medium of instruction was English.
Did not provide any mark-list or transcripts.
The letter from university was in their official letterhead; but was not sealed. IRCC accepted and processed.

Hi Ajit,

Doc 2 mentioned above, did you submit original copy or legit photocopy will do.
I am thinking, it might be quicker to get document in scanned format from Indian university, If CIC accepts it ...?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rabia_rak said:
Hi Ajit,

Doc 2 mentioned above, did you submit original copy or legit photocopy will do.
I am thinking, it might be quicker to get document in scanned format from Indian university, If CIC accepts it ...?
For my wife, her father applied for the English medium certificate there in India and when it was received, he scanned and send a copy by email. She printed it off here and send it along with the application. Later he mailed the original to Canada and she went for the test with the original. For interview/ test, IRCC needs to see the original of all supporting docs submitted. For initial application, a photocopy is enough.
For CELPIP, you may send the original initially itself.
Hope this info helps.
Good luck!

Canadiangoose

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Hi Ajith,

The English medium certificate, did you get from the Engineering college itself or from the University? Please clarify....

dell

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have taken the IELTS (general ) about 7 years ago. Not sure if that would work as language evidence ? I know IELTS is acceptable test but it was taken a very long time ago.