+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language Evidence ( # 15 on Citizenship Application)

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Need help as this part is really troubling me.

I don't see anywhere in the application form that one can submit degree and transcript as a proof of English language (It used to be included before in the application form). But, when you look into Instruction guide - step 4.15, it says the following:

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • an official translation of the original document and
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
Now, can i submit only degree and transcript (everything is in English) ?? Has anyone submitted degree and transcript and got AOR without IELTS or any English proficiency letter from university ??

Please advise. Many thanks in advance.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I don't see anywhere in the application form that one can submit degree and transcript as a proof of English language (It used to be included before in the application form). But, when you look into Instruction guide - step 4.15, it says the following:

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
Now, can i submit only degree and transcript (everything is in English) ?? Has anyone submitted degree and transcript and got AOR without IELTS or any English proficiency letter from university ??

I just submitted my high school transcript. (USA school)

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
I just submitted my high school transcript. (USA school)
Thank you very much for replying .. transcript from Usa should be fine .... what about non english speaking country although transcript and degree are in English ? Should this be fine as well ?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
The only question would be if the instruction were in English or French. If it was in English and they question it, you may just need a letter from the school stating such. Otherwise, I'm sure they have a list of major schools abroad that teach in English and can match it up. I wouldn't worry too much about it until they actually question it. I certainly wouldn't be an advocate for sending additional information without being asked for it.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you very much for replying .. transcript from Usa should be fine .... what about non english speaking country although transcript and degree are in English ? Should this be fine as well ?
1. No, you would need a letter from the school stating that the medium of instruction was in English.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi

1. No, you would need a letter from the school stating that the medium of instruction was in English.
The instructions clearly state that this is only needed if the transcript is NOT in English and was translated.

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Hi

Hi PMM,

I was under the same impression that an English proficiency letter from the university stating that the medium of education is English may be required but after reading through the Cic website and asking several ppl I came to know that only if your degree and transcript are not in English then you need these extra documents and translated docs. If your original degree and transcript are in English then it is fine.

Would like to hear from someone who did not submit any letter from Uni and got AOR. If you have studied from English speaking countries like Usa Canada UK Australia New Zealand then you dont need nothing ofcourse. I am concerned about non English speaking countries.

Voong

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Hi everyone! I am applying for my citizenship this month, and i have question regarding the question #15. I have a bachelor degree from a Canadian College.

However the question #15 on the current form kinda confusing me.

If you are 18 to 54 years of age you MUST submit proof that demonstrates that you have knowledge of English or French
  • a) Do you have proof of knowledge of English or French? Yes No
Did you successfully complete the LINC or CLIC courses at CLB 4/NCLC or higher from January 1st,2008 to October 31st 2012? Yes No
If yes and you do not have a copy of your certificate, please check the following the box and your participation will be verified in our system

I am curious if i have to tick on the box saying "did you succesfully complete the LINC or CLIC courses..." or just leave it blank? because there is no option to let me indicating that i have finished my college.

Last edited:

danchomu

Jan 12, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Hey Shahmad, have you had luck submitting a degree from non-English speaking country university? Can you share your experience? What did they say?

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Hi everyone! I am applying for my citizenship this month, and i have question regarding the question #15. I have a bachelor degree from a Canadian College.

However the question #15 on the current form kinda confusing me.

If you are 18 to 54 years of age you MUST submit proof that demonstrates that you have knowledge of English or French
  • a) Do you have proof of knowledge of English or French? Yes No
Did you successfully complete the LINC or CLIC courses at CLB 4/NCLC or higher from January 1st,2008 to October 31st 2012? Yes No
If yes and you do not have a copy of your certificate, please check the following the box and your participation will be verified in our system

I am curious if i have to tick on the box saying "did you succesfully complete the LINC or CLIC courses..." or just leave it blank? because there is no option to let me indicating that i have finished my college.
Since the question asks " from January 1st,2008 to October 31st 2012" you can comfortably reply as "NO" as you have not completed any of those in that PERIOD.

AK171

Apr 6, 2017
Victoria
App. Filed.......
07-09-2018
Hi Everyone,

I recently submitted my Degree (only) - it was 5 years old degree from non-English speaking country. The degree itself was in English so I have not submitted any translation. My application for citizenship was accepted and I have my test invite this month (End of Sept 2019).

Reactions: GraceCan

alberta2019

Star Member
Sep 13, 2018
I recently submitted my Degree (only) - it was 5 years old degree from non-English speaking country. The degree itself was in English so I have not submitted any translation. My application for citizenship was accepted and I have my test invite this month (End of Sept 2019).
Did you submit degree and transcript or just the degree?