May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 19, 2014 : COPR July 22, 2014
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
I'm landing tomorrow!!!! :eek: ;D :D

So I have my CoPR, all my important documents ( tax forms, letters of recommendation, medical history, ect), my B4 form with pictures of jewelry and serial numbers for electronics (only bringing my laptop, one carry-on and two checked bags) and my passport. Is there anything advice for me form those of you who have already landed?

I will be landing at Pearson Airport in Toronto. My husband will be there waiting for me. I'm super excited. I have pre-filled out an application for a SIN# ( I hear you can get your sing# at the airport once you land) and a pre-filled form for healthcare in Ontario but I understand you have to wait 3 months anyways.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
ovasquez1 said:

So I have my CoPR, all my important documents ( tax forms, letters of recommendation, medical history, ect), my B4 form with pictures of jewelry and serial numbers for electronics (only bringing my laptop, one carry-on and two checked bags) and my passport. Is there anything advice for me form those of you who have already landed?

I will be landing at Pearson Airport in Toronto. My husband will be there waiting for me. I'm super excited. I have pre-filled out an application for a SIN# ( I hear you can get your sing# at the airport once you land) and a pre-filled form for healthcare in Ontario but I understand you have to wait 3 months anyways.

Take a deep breath and head into the newest chapter of your life.

It all sounds much more daunting than it really is.

You'll do just fine, and if for some reason you CAN'T get your SIN at the airport you can always hit Service Canada the very next day with your stamped COPR and passport and obtain it then. For OHIP you will need to have proof of residence in Ontario, so you might have to wait a little bit before turning in that application unless you already have mail addressed to you at your spouse's home. Not a big deal as they will apply the 3 months waiting period retroactive to the date you landed anyhow.

Good luck! :D

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ovasquez1 said:

You don't need tax forms, letters of recommendation or medical history. Only COPR, passport, B4 forms, and your address in Canada.

for OHIP card, to apply you MUST have one of the specific documents to prove your residency from "List 2" here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf
If you don't have one of them exactly as described, don't even bother applying until you do. There is no advantage to going early for OHIP anyways, as you aren't eligible until 3 months after landing. You can go at 2 months and 30 days if you want, so take your time to get the required documents before you go.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Yay!!! I landed! I have been in Canada for a week and two days. Thank you to everyone on this site for your advice and answering my questions. :) :D ;D

So this is my landing experience if anyone is curious. I arrived at the airport, I had filled out declaration form on the plane, showed it to the officer at customs and they pointed me to another hallway. There I met with another officer to helped me with the COPR form, all he asked was the information on the PR paper correct and for a phone number. I didn't have a phone number so I gave them my husband's number. He stamped my passport wrote IMM and the date. Then he gave back my the PR paper copy and stapled it to my passport. He said I should receive the PR card in the mail within 1-2 months or maybe sooner. He also said to hold on to passport and use it as an ID until my actual one comes in the mail. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. ;D

He directed me further down the hall to a wait area to get my SIN number. It was all easy and simple but I had to wait a long time for my SIN# because there was so many people there. I was getting anxious to see my husband. Once I saw the officer, I got my SIN# quickly, he warned me not to lose my SIN#. He also said they aren't giving SIN cards anymore, just to memorize it. Then I went back down the hallway where I was greeted by two people who gave me pamphlets, a book and organizer for landing immigrants. It's a nice package, it has a lot of good information.

Then I went to baggage claim. After I got all my suitcases I headed towards the exit where the officer instructed me to go right. I waited for a while in line. Then when I approached the officer I showed her my B4 form and a print out of an excel spreed sheet I made listing everything that I brought with serial number, descriptions, pictures of jewelry and ect. I asked her if i had done it correctly with the excel sheet, she said that's the way people are suppose to do it. She looked at my PR paper, filled out a form online, printed it, copied my excel sheet, and stamped it. Then she handed me back a copy and sent me off. She didn't even check my suitcases. :)

Finally I was out of customs and I found my husband. I took so long, he was worried. The next day we turned in the health card application at a service Canada. They said I can't get my card until November (3 months from my landing date) but if I go to the doctor, to keep the receipts and when I get my card in 3 months they can reimburse me. After that we went on a small vacay to Niagara Falls. ;D

This week I also started the process of looking for a job :eek:. I'm very excited and happy to be with my husband. It's nice that the wait is finally over and I made it just in time for the holidays coming up.

Once again, thanks to everyone on this site, we couldn't have done it without the help and information this site provided. :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Congrats!

Your experience sounds similar to my wife's. The landing was easy, it was the long lines that took up the most time (though the lineup for the SIN number was much smaller). Where did you land? Pearson?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ovasquez1 said:
Finally I was out of customs and I found my husband. I took so long, he was worried. The next day we turned in the health card application at a service Canada. They said I can't get my card until November (3 months from my landing date) but if I go to the doctor, to keep the receipts and when I get my card in 3 months they can reimburse me. After that we went on a small vacay to Niagara Falls. ;D
Were you able to actually register for the OHIP card, or they told you to come back later? They usually want to see proof of residency in Ontario which most people don't have on their first day in Canada.

I'm not sure why they told you medical expenses during the 3-month waiting period will be reimbursed to you. That is simply not true, as during the 3-month waiting time you are NOT COVERED under OHIP. Any medical expenses you incur for whatever reason, must be paid out-of-pocket. Any reimbursement claims you later submit will most likely be denied no matter what a service rep told you.

You should really have private travel medical insurance, to cover you for the 3 months you are waiting for OHIP.

red9999

Mar 21, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/05/2014
IELTS Request
sent with ap
Med's Request
30-06-2015
Med's Done....
14-07-2015. tlu 30-07-2015
Interview........
Telephonic verif. 17-06-2015
Passport Req..
24-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-08-2015
LANDED..........
19 March'16
ovasquez1 said:
Yay!!! I landed! I have been in Canada for a week and two days. Thank you to everyone on this site for your advice and answering my questions. :) :D ;D

So this is my landing experience if anyone is curious. I arrived at the airport, I had filled out declaration form on the plane, showed it to the officer at customs and they pointed me to another hallway. There I met with another officer to helped me with the COPR form, all he asked was the information on the PR paper correct and for a phone number. I didn't have a phone number so I gave them my husband's number. He stamped my passport wrote IMM and the date. Then he gave back my the PR paper copy and stapled it to my passport. He said I should receive the PR card in the mail within 1-2 months or maybe sooner. He also said to hold on to passport and use it as an ID until my actual one comes in the mail. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. ;D

He directed me further down the hall to a wait area to get my SIN number. It was all easy and simple but I had to wait a long time for my SIN# because there was so many people there. I was getting anxious to see my husband. Once I saw the officer, I got my SIN# quickly, he warned me not to lose my SIN#. He also said they aren't giving SIN cards anymore, just to memorize it. Then I went back down the hallway where I was greeted by two people who gave me pamphlets, a book and organizer for landing immigrants. It's a nice package, it has a lot of good information.

Then I went to baggage claim. After I got all my suitcases I headed towards the exit where the officer instructed me to go right. I waited for a while in line. Then when I approached the officer I showed her my B4 form and a print out of an excel spreed sheet I made listing everything that I brought with serial number, descriptions, pictures of jewelry and ect. I asked her if i had done it correctly with the excel sheet, she said that's the way people are suppose to do it. She looked at my PR paper, filled out a form online, printed it, copied my excel sheet, and stamped it. Then she handed me back a copy and sent me off. She didn't even check my suitcases. :)

This week I also started the process of looking for a job :eek:. I'm very excited and happy to be with my husband. It's nice that the wait is finally over and I made it just in time for the holidays coming up.

Once again, thanks to everyone on this site, we couldn't have done it without the help and information this site provided. :)
Such an awesome n sweet description... i could almost see it happening..:)))) Congratulations on your landing and great life ahead:)))!!!

bono1

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 06, 2014
AOR Received.
Mar. 06, 2014
File Transfer...
Mar. 13, 2014
Med's Done....
Nov. 12, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jun. 24, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Jul. 02, 2014
LANDED..........
Sept. 11, 2014
ovasquez1 said:

Congrats. Can you please tell me how long the process took from beginning to end once you landed at pearson... did it take over an hour? 2 hours?

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
keesio said:
Congrats!

Your experience sounds similar to my wife's. The landing was easy, it was the long lines that took up the most time (though the lineup for the SIN number was much smaller). Where did you land? Pearson?
Thanks..yep I landed at Pearson.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Rob_TO said:
Were you able to actually register for the OHIP card, or they told you to come back later? They usually want to see proof of residency in Ontario which most people don't have on their first day in Canada.

I'm not sure why they told you medical expenses during the 3-month waiting period will be reimbursed to you. That is simply not true, as during the 3-month waiting time you are NOT COVERED under OHIP. Any medical expenses you incur for whatever reason, must be paid out-of-pocket. Any reimbursement claims you later submit will most likely be denied no matter what a service rep told you.

You should really have private travel medical insurance, to cover you for the 3 months you are waiting for OHIP.
My husband and I have a bank accounts together where we listed my address here in Toronto. So we just took a print out of that and it was enough, we don't have to return back, I'm registered. I even took the photo.

Well that's what she said, to save the receipts and we would be re-imbursed. Either way, I don't plan on going to a doctor or getting sick until the 3 months have passed. Knock on wood. Who knows why said said that but she did, maybe its new.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
bono1 said:
Congrats. Can you please tell me how long the process took from beginning to end once you landed at pearson... did it take over an hour? 2 hours?
Because of the lines it took a bit over 2 hours. I landed about 2:45 and the process was over around 5 something. The COPR and passport stamp took less than 10 minutes. The lines to get a SIN# took a while. Waiting for my bags took another while and waiting in line to turn in the B4 form took another while. Every time I saw an officer the process was quick but waiting in line, not so quick. I noticed a lot of people had trouble in the last part with the B4 forms, some people were searched. It reminded me of that show "customs." Some people had pets and I think some people took longer cause they had more suitcases. I only had my computer bag, my carry-on suitcase and two big checked suitcases. I was anxious during the whole cause I knew my husband waiting and I couldn't call him. We didn't know I was going to get my sin# and we didn't know it would take that long. We thought we were going to meet and do that part together you know.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ovasquez1 said:
Well that's what she said, to save the receipts and we would be re-imbursed. Either way, I don't plan on going to a doctor or getting sick until the 3 months have passed. Knock on wood. Who knows why said said that but she did, maybe its new.
Ya I've never heard of that before, and it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of having a 3 month wait where it clearly states you are not covered.

As you said though, don't plan on doing any medical trips during the wait time. Proceed under the assumption you will not be re-reimbursed for anything. If you don't have travel medical insurance in case of accidents, you can look here and get a simple policy for around $50 per month until your OHIP coverage begins. https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I agree with Rob. I've researched this pretty thoroughly for my wife when she landed. Everything I saw mentioned that you are not covered at all and responsible for any medical charges during the waiting period.

Here is an old thread that discusses this very topic:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reimbursement-of-medical-expenses-incurred-during-waiting-period-in-canada-t128600.0.html

Now it is 2 years old... but I have yet to heard of any news where this has changed.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Rob_TO said:
Ya I've never heard of that before, and it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of having a 3 month wait where it clearly states you are not covered.

As you said though, don't plan on doing any medical trips during the wait time. Proceed under the assumption you will not be re-reimbursed for anything. If you don't have travel medical insurance in case of accidents, you can look here and get a simple policy for around $50 per month until your OHIP coverage begins. https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada
keesio said:
I agree with Rob. I've researched this pretty thoroughly for my wife when she landed. Everything I saw mentioned that you are not covered at all and responsible for any medical charges during the waiting period.

Here is an old thread that discusses this very topic:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reimbursement-of-medical-expenses-incurred-during-waiting-period-in-canada-t128600.0.html

Now it is 2 years old... but I have yet to heard of any news where this has changed.
I agree with both of you...I never heard of them re-reimbursing but that's what she said...my husband and I figured maybe its new ...either way like I said I don't plan on seeing a doctor or getting sick until after November...I wouldn't risk it...until then I'm looking for a job and watching my mail for the PR card :)

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017

Looks like your experience was amazing! I am landing in a couple of weeks and reading your experience makes me optimistic (for no reason at all, I'm worried).