+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing without getting SIN

Paean

Aug 7, 2015
Hi, I received my permanent residence visa, while with only two and half months before it expires. As a result, I am planning a soft landing.

Due to some family reason, I am planning to land on the weekend and return immediately. The PR card will be mailed to address of my relatives. As a result, I will not be able to obtain my SIN after landing.

I am wondering if obtaining SIN is very important or it is something I can get it later.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi, I received my permanent residence visa, while with only two and half months before it expires. As a result, I am planning a soft landing.

Due to some family reason, I am planning to land on the weekend and return immediately. The PR card will be mailed to address of my relatives. As a result, I will not be able to obtain my SIN after landing.

I am wondering if obtaining SIN is very important or it is something I can get it later.
You can get the SIN at any time, so perfectly fine to do it on your later landing. You just can't work without it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

You will need to show your PR card when you apply for the SIN if it's more than a year after you land. Up to the first year anniversary, your stamped and signed COPR will be sufficient.

Paean

Aug 7, 2015
Thanks two of you for responding.

I am also looking for jobs before we move. At what stage, it might be a problem that I only have the PR card while not the SIN.

Thanks.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

kbornani

Mar 10, 2019
Hi,

I am planning to do a soft landing on a weekend at Vancouver around 10 pm (evening).

Someone planted this idea that immigration counters are closed on the weekends for first time landers with PR. I want to verify if this true?

Ideally, immigration counters should be open 24*7 but I do not want to risk as I am planning to head back the next day. I will get SIN and other things taken care of later.

Also, I mentioned Vancouver as my POE. Can I do the landing at Toronto for convenience. Will this create an issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am planning to do a soft landing on a weekend at Vancouver around 10 pm (evening).

Someone planted this idea that immigration counters are closed on the weekends for first time landers with PR. I want to verify if this true?

Ideally, immigration counters should be open 24*7 but I do not want to risk as I am planning to head back the next day. I will get SIN and other things taken care of later.

Also, I mentioned Vancouver as my POE. Can I do the landing at Toronto for convenience. Will this create an issue?

Thanks!
If a Port of Entry is open, immigration is open. Only a few POEs in Ontario and Quebec have limited flagpoling for people living in Canada,

If you were approved through BC PNP, then you should land in BC. If you were not approved through BC PNP, you can land in Toronto.

kbornani

Mar 10, 2019
If a Port of Entry is open, immigration is open. Only a few POEs in Ontario and Quebec have limited flagpoling for people living in Canada,

If you were approved through BC PNP, then you should land in BC. If you were not approved through BC PNP, you can land in Toronto.
Great. Thank you for the reply. I was approved through express entry and put Vancouver as the POE option on the online form. It has the same thing mentioned on my visa, hence wanted to be sure.

Svanbavel1

May 12, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You can definitely land anywhere. I did my soft landing at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel a few weeks before moving to NS. I flew in to Detroit, rented car, went to border, provided list of goods to follow and all documents and when done, I walked over the the SIN office and got that done. Then I drove back to airport and flew home! :) I already had a job lined up and to start work, they didn't ask for my SIN until the day I started work.

I have read many posts in the past couple of years that when someone drove late at night across the border, they would let them through as visitor and ask them to come back after 7 am to do landing. I would recommend calling the border you want to cross if you're driving. Now if you are flying then you can do it at any hour. Although I did my soft landing, my teen had not until the day we flew into Halifax, NS. When we arrived, it was 1am and they did the paperwork right there (10 min) and we were on our way... :)