+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing with a friend/family member?

jimjam26

Jun 20, 2017
Hi everyone.

I couldn't find an a clear answer for this question.

I received my final Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter, and I can leave for Landing in Windsor as soon as I compile my B4 inventory form.

My father is going to be driving me to the border, and staying with me and my wife in Toronto for just the one night, and leaving in the morning. He's also helping us move stuff and settle in (we're driving his car, and I've sold mine already). My father is NOT applying for permanent residency, and is not a part of my application. He's just visiting, and has a valid US passport for travel. We're traveling in the same vehicle.

Is there anything in specific I need to do at the border, just to make sure CBP understands that I am not attempting to smuggle a family member with me? My intuition says to just make it very clear that I am arriving for Landing as a PR, and my father is just accompanying me as a Visitor for one night, and make sure that he has paystubs and other papers that show he has no intention of overstaying illegally.

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but I've come so far and really don't want to screw it up at point!

I was denied entry in 2014 once for a 2 day stay while traveling with my wife. The reason was because I didn't have proof of employment and other papers on me, but it was clear to me the border agent was very angry and just having a very bad day. I got the brunt of that anger and suspicion that day. I haven't had any issues crossing into Canada since then, but my perspective on the process is a lot more guarded.

Anyone else Land into Canada by car, while bringing a friend or family member along for a temporary visit?

Thank you!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi everyone.

I couldn't find an a clear answer for this question.

I received my final Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter, and I can leave for Landing in Windsor as soon as I compile my B4 inventory form.

My father is going to be driving me to the border, and staying with me and my wife in Toronto for just the one night, and leaving in the morning. He's also helping us move stuff and settle in (we're driving his car, and I've sold mine already). My father is NOT applying for permanent residency, and is not a part of my application. He's just visiting, and has a valid US passport for travel. We're traveling in the same vehicle.

Is there anything in specific I need to do at the border, just to make sure CBP understands that I am not attempting to smuggle a family member with me? My intuition says to just make it very clear that I am arriving for Landing as a PR, and my father is just accompanying me as a Visitor for one night, and make sure that he has paystubs and other papers that show he has no intention of overstaying illegally.

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but I've come so far and really don't want to screw it up at point!

I was denied entry in 2014 once for a 2 day stay while traveling with my wife. The reason was because I didn't have proof of employment and other papers on me, but it was clear to me the border agent was very angry and just having a very bad day. I got the brunt of that anger and suspicion that day. I haven't had any issues crossing into Canada since then, but my perspective on the process is a lot more guarded.

Anyone else Land into Canada by car, while bringing a friend or family member along for a temporary visit?

Thank you!
You will have no problem with any of what you have said whatsoever!

Explain that YOU are landing to declare PR and want to get your 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' reviewed and stamped. Give them your passport and CoPR first. They will sort that, then pass you on to someone else to deal with your goods forms. With luck, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes end to end.

jimjam26

Jun 20, 2017
You will have no problem with any of what you have said whatsoever!

Explain that YOU are landing to declare PR and want to get your 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' reviewed and stamped. Give them your passport and CoPR first. They will sort that, then pass you on to someone else to deal with your goods forms. With luck, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes end to end.
Thanks for the fast reply!

I assumed it would be a normal thing to do, I just wasn't seeing any info.

Again, thank you for easing my mind.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
His US passport and the fact that you are moving stuff makes it a much easier and realistic situation. Wouldn't hurt to bring a business card or have some sort of proof of employment on his phone if he is still working. Think it should be fine but always best to be over prepared just in case:)