+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing ... What to expect

Engineer1977

Mar 3, 2008
Hello All,

Few questions:
1) For those who landed and left after few days, can you please share your experience, what questions were you asked? did you mention that you will be leaving in few days?
2) What is the minimum time needed to get the paperwork complete, before you leave Canada? IS this something you would share with the immigration officer? I've read some incidents on here where the I/O asked them to re-apply for the PR from outside the country!

Thanks for your time.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
It doesn't matter that you'll be leaving after a few days. But to finish all the paperwork takes four to six weeks:

a. PR card takes a month to six weeks to be mailed to you in Canada; if you don't provide a Canadian address to CIC within 6 months, they'll destroy the original card and you'll have to apply for a new one from inside Canada; you can't apply for it from outside the country; you can only apply for a temporary travel permit
b. SSI card, if applied for immediately, can be picked up in a week or mailed to you within 3 weeks
c. Driver's license can take as little as a week to be mailed to you

chsieh

Jan 25, 2008
Thaiguy,

I hope I am understanding correctly. We have 6 months to land. Upon arrival, we will be interviewed by Immigration officer. Can we tell them to mail PR card to our address in US? Stay in Canada for a couple of days and then return to US and then make arrangement to move to Canada in summer or few months later?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
chsieh said:
Thaiguy,

I hope I am understanding correctly. We have 6 months to land. Upon arrival, we will be interviewed by Immigration officer. Can we tell them to mail PR card to our address in US? Stay in Canada for a couple of days and then return to US and then make arrangement to move to Canada in summer or few months later?
They will not mail your PR cards to the U.S.

Atuegbe

Mar 26, 2008
Dear All,
Please i will like to know what to expect immedietely after landing in Canada as in where to stay. I mean, does the canadian government provides immediete accommodation ? and what happens after then?

Thanks
Atuegbe

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Hi i have not heard about the canadian govt giving accommodation. If you do not
have friends or relatives in canada then you will need to stay in a temporary hotel which might be expensive.
It will be helpful if you check online or some hotels to book in advance, at least let it be near where you would like to live. Check online the nearest offices where you could get SIN, Healthcard and bank account and at the same time after landing you could try to find accomoation.