+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing : To flagpole or not to flagpole

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Hi all,

Just wanted to know, in your opinions, which border crossing is the best to go to? I am currently in Toronto and hoping to complete my landing this week. Usually when I go to the USA I use the Lewiston crossing. However, I am just wondering if people have had a good experience doing so at this particular location.

Also, I am going to be in the USA for a week and would prefer to complete my landing before I come back to Toronto is that makes sense. I don’t want to flagpole, so if I enter the USA for say 5-10 mins and turn back around after I have entered..... this wouldn’t necessarily be considered flagpoling, right? I am thinking of doing this around 3am on a Friday night, when it’s a little quieter.

I prefer to complete landing before coming back to Toronto because I am going to be away for a week and everyday counts with the PR card… 56 days waiting time!!

Opinions much appreciated please.

argieargie

Feb 1, 2017
Why don't you wanna flagpole? Of course you could go into USA and stay for 10 mins then come back. It seems unnecessary in my opinion.

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Why don't you wanna flagpole? Of course you could go into USA and stay for 10 mins then come back. It seems unnecessary in my opinion.
Well, I enter the USA quite often. I am also looking at applying to schools there, which means that potentially I’ll need a visa. I don’t want to add in future application that I have had refusal into the USA. Essentially, that is what flagpoling is, they hand you a refusal paper and you go back into Canada.

I really don’t want anything that can be seen as negative on my record.

argieargie

Feb 1, 2017
hmmm I've seen people saying that refusal thing won't go into your record. If it does, there won't be that many people doing flagpolling.

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
I agree, it is a little bit of a hassle... but on the other hand I avoid refusal. I could just land when I come back from Vacay, but I am there fore week and would like to get the ball rolling on receiving my PR card, Every day counts :)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Just do it when you come back from your vacation. Otherwise, your record will show this

1. Entered the US at 3AM
2. Entered the US at 4AM (the US doesn't track exits when you leave by a land border, afaik)

To me, that's odder than getting a refusal, and likelier to elicit questions around why you were in the USA for 20 minutes, went back to Canada, and then came back again.. Sounds like you're picking up something from the USA and taking it into Canada...

Last edited:

argieargie

Feb 1, 2017
Just do it when you come back from your vacation. Otherwise, your record will show this

1. Entered the US at 3AM
2. Entered the US at 4AM (the US doesn't track exits when you leave by a land border, afaik)

To me, that's odder than getting a refusal, and likelier to elicit questions around why you were in the USA for 20 minutes, went back to Canada, and then came back again.. Sounds like you're picking up something from the USA and taking it into Canada...
good point. And don't they also look at reasons for refusal? If it's only because flagpolling (if it goes to your record), don't think it's gonna affect that much for future visa application.

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
You're all right - thank you!

Now which border crossing would b less hassle do you think. Looks as though I'll be doing it on a Friday afternoon.... any heads up/advice you can give me.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Just wanted to know, in your opinions, which border crossing is the best to go to? I am currently in Toronto and hoping to complete my landing this week. Usually when I go to the USA I use the Lewiston crossing. However, I am just wondering if people have had a good experience doing so at this particular location.

Also, I am going to be in the USA for a week and would prefer to complete my landing before I come back to Toronto is that makes sense. I don’t want to flagpole, so if I enter the USA for say 5-10 mins and turn back around after I have entered..... this wouldn’t necessarily be considered flagpoling, right? I am thinking of doing this around 3am on a Friday night, when it’s a little quieter.

I prefer to complete landing before coming back to Toronto because I am going to be away for a week and everyday counts with the PR card… 56 days waiting time!!

Opinions much appreciated please.
An administrative refusal from U.S. is nothing to worry about. Meanwhile, you are literally losing sleep over doing your landing at 3 am.

You should also check that immigration is open during those early hours at that crossing. Others in GTA have reported at the busier crossings that immigration opens at 8am, people turned away early in the morning.

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys,

So was wondering if you have a US visa then traveling pass the US border and spending maybe a couple of hours there shopping or having lunch and then driving back to do the landing, would that be better than flagpoling or no difference. Will the custom officer query if its just a few hours across and back at the border? Thanks

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

So was wondering if you have a US visa then traveling pass the US border and spending maybe a couple of hours there shopping or having lunch and then driving back to do the landing, would that be better than flagpoling or no difference. Will the custom officer query if its just a few hours across and back at the border? Thanks
No difference.

Reactions: adrlim

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
That said, is there a border crossing that is seen as more favourable? Usually, I go to Lewiston, but I think fort erie is near also.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
That said, is there a border crossing that is seen as more favourable? Usually, I go to Lewiston, but I think fort erie is near also.
Depends if you think it's favourable with Lewiston. Fort Erie had little activity when I went through last month on a Sunday evening.
If you are legally admitted into the US, that is not flagpoling.