+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Stamp in Passport- SIN Number?

doglyn

Aug 7, 2014
I recently "landed" as a permanent resident (yay) and am wondering if the number they wrote under their stamp in my passport is a temporary social insurance number or something else? It begins with a "T" and is followed by 9 numbers.

It would be great if it is as I am still awaiting my permanent resident card and have immediate need to give an organization my SIN. (I feel uncomfortable sending my original "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" to them before I have my PR card in hand). Anyone know how long a SIN card by mail takes (I'm currently still in the U.S.)

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
doglyn said:
I recently "landed" as a permanent resident (yay) and am wondering if the number they wrote under their stamp in my passport is a temporary social insurance number or something else? It begins with a "T" and is followed by 9 numbers.

It would be great if it is as I am still awaiting my permanent resident card and have immediate need to give an organization my SIN. (I feel uncomfortable sending my original "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" to them before I have my PR card in hand). Anyone know how long a SIN card by mail takes (I'm currently still in the U.S.)

Thanks!
No, that would be your CoPR document number.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
One other thing: what you're waiting for in the mail is the PR card, not the SIN. You get your SIN number by showing up at a Service Canada location and applying for one, and you get it on the same day. If you haven't done that yet then you won't be issued a SIN

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MidoRafa said:
One other thing: what you're waiting for in the mail is the PR card, not the SIN. You get your SIN number by showing up at a Service Canada location and applying for one, and you get it on the same day. If you haven't done that yet then you won't be issued a SIN
You can apply from outside Canada but this is what the OP is concerned about.
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml
If you send your application by registered mail, we will return your documents in the same way. Service Canada is not responsible for document(s) lost in the mail.

doglyn

Aug 7, 2014
Thanks, Zardoz. I will wait until receiving my PR card before sending the original docs for my SIN, just so I have some proof in my hands at all times!

Kghimire

Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to send anything to get SIN, and don't have to wait till you get PR Card. Just take your passport and landing papers to Service Canada office near you and they will provide you with SIN number immediately.

Thanks

doglyn said:
Thanks, Zardoz. I will wait until receiving my PR card before sending the original docs for my SIN, just so I have some proof in my hands at all times!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Kghimire said:
You don't have to send anything to get SIN, and don't have to wait till you get PR Card. Just take your passport and landing papers to Service Canada office near you and they will provide you with SIN number immediately.

Thanks
You didn't notice that the OP is not actually in Canada?
doglyn said:
(I'm currently still in the U.S.)