+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing(Soft) experience Oct 8 - Smooth, but not so Smooooth!

krishme007

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-09-2017
AOR Received.
23-10-2017
Med's Done....
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
17-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2017
Hi All,
Just want to share my landing experience for future landers. I landed on a Canadian Thanksgiving day and it was a Public holiday in Canada.

Pre-Flight

* My passport was up for renewal in Jan 2019 and since I had less than 6 months of validity left, I had a new passport issued. However, my Canadian VISA was stamped on my old passport and I was bit unsure on the process - Should I get VISA reissued on new passport? How should I update CIC on this passport change? After several tries in webform and contacting Ottawa Visa office, I finally receive an email from them that, it is not an issue to travel in my current situation. They asked me to inform this to the immigration officer upon landing.

* I had booked my tickets from SFO to YYZ via Air Canada. At Air Canada check-in counter, I faced a minor issue. Since my flight ticket was linked to new passport, the Air Canada agent was not able to find pre-authorization for the new passport number to enter Canada as the visa was linked to my old passport. After some explaining, she called the Immigration hotline, got a pre-authorization number, then called Air Canada customer care to link that number with my new passport and then my boarding pass was issued.

Landing

* We landed at 6:15 AM in YYZ. No smiles or any such friendly faces upon landing. ( guess many were cursing for working on a holiday) Was directed to separate counters for completing the landing process. Both me and my wife were processed by same officer. There were hardly one other families who were completing their landing process along with us at that time. There was a bunch of immigration officers who were talking about issues in finding a good heater technicians for a good price in the counter next us (many empty counters). Gave my friends address for PR card delivery. The total time for us to get our COPR stamped, BSF 186 & A forms to get checked and signed took about an hour as we had quite an exhaustive list with us. The officer gave some guidelines on obtaining the SIN number and that's it. We thanked the officer and we came out of the terminal. Took the link train to Viscount station to get our rental car.

Stay - AIRBNB

* Had found an economical Airbnb near Galleria Shopping Center which had a car parking space. Went to friends place first as the check-in time for our Airbnb was 3 PM. Freshened up, had breakfast, went to High park, chilled for some time and then in evening, we drove to our Airbnb and had a peaceful sleep.

SIN Process

* This is where the smoothness stopped for us. We went quite early to Service Canada center, got the queue number and we were called in 10 mins. The officer started to process my application and handed me the SIN number in around 10 mins. However, it was not the same case for my wife. After some calls and some extra button clicks, he handed a case number and phone number to follow-up. Reason - They were not able to validate my wife's landing and hence they are unable to generate the SIN number. They said that this is quite normal, and it will take a month for this issue to be resolved. Even after a month, if i do not receive the SIN number, then they asked me to follow-up on the case number.
After this, I did not think much into this and we drove to see Niagara Falls and then the next day, we flew back to SFO.

One Month Later - November 2nd week
* Still not received SIN number. Called up Service Canada helpline. Answer - They are still processing Oct 3rd applications and asked me to call after a week. I called after a week and they say that they are still waiting for clarifications from the immigration department on my wife's landing status. They asked me to check with immigration department on this matter. I called immigration helpline and after 10 mins of wait, I got through and was asked to provide landing details so that they can do manual check of the landing (Flight number, landing date and time, booking reference, COPR number etc.). The officer raised a complaint and asked me to wait for 2-3 weeks for the issue to be resolved.

I have no issues in waiting as I was not in Canada. Imagine this for people who want to open an bank account or do any such thing without a SIN number. Finally, in December 1 st week, the immigration team closed the complaint and validated the landing in their database. Now, the Service Canada is working on sending the SIN number. Expected delivery date - 3rd week of December. Due to this, she will receive her PR card sometime in Feb.

As far as my PR card, I received a ghost update in the beginning of this week. Maybe I will receive my PR card along with wife's SIN :) I am able to link her PR card application to my CIC account as well. (I was unable to do so before as her landing was not validated)

So, yeah, this was my landing and without even staying in Canada for more than 3 days, I had to deal with multiple calls/mails to different agencies just to sort out a simple paper works, right from time I received my VISA to SIN numbers!

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi All,
Just want to share my landing experience for future landers. I landed on a Canadian Thanksgiving day and it was a Public holiday in Canada.

Pre-Flight

* My passport was up for renewal in Jan 2019 and since I had less than 6 months of validity left, I had a new passport issued. However, my Canadian VISA was stamped on my old passport and I was bit unsure on the process - Should I get VISA reissued on new passport? How should I update CIC on this passport change? After several tries in webform and contacting Ottawa Visa office, I finally receive an email from them that, it is not an issue to travel in my current situation. They asked me to inform this to the immigration officer upon landing.

* I had booked my tickets from SFO to YYZ via Air Canada. At Air Canada check-in counter, I faced a minor issue. Since my flight ticket was linked to new passport, the Air Canada agent was not able to find pre-authorization for the new passport number to enter Canada as the visa was linked to my old passport. After some explaining, she called the Immigration hotline, got a pre-authorization number, then called Air Canada customer care to link that number with my new passport and then my boarding pass was issued.

Landing

* We landed at 6:15 AM in YYZ. No smiles or any such friendly faces upon landing. ( guess many were cursing for working on a holiday) Was directed to separate counters for completing the landing process. Both me and my wife were processed by same officer. There were hardly one other families who were completing their landing process along with us at that time. There was a bunch of immigration officers who were talking about issues in finding a good heater technicians for a good price in the counter next us (many empty counters). Gave my friends address for PR card delivery. The total time for us to get our COPR stamped, BSF 186 & A forms to get checked and signed took about an hour as we had quite an exhaustive list with us. The officer gave some guidelines on obtaining the SIN number and that's it. We thanked the officer and we came out of the terminal. Took the link train to Viscount station to get our rental car.

Stay - AIRBNB

* Had found an economical Airbnb near Galleria Shopping Center which had a car parking space. Went to friends place first as the check-in time for our Airbnb was 3 PM. Freshened up, had breakfast, went to High park, chilled for some time and then in evening, we drove to our Airbnb and had a peaceful sleep.

SIN Process

* This is where the smoothness stopped for us. We went quite early to Service Canada center, got the queue number and we were called in 10 mins. The officer started to process my application and handed me the SIN number in around 10 mins. However, it was not the same case for my wife. After some calls and some extra button clicks, he handed a case number and phone number to follow-up. Reason - They were not able to validate my wife's landing and hence they are unable to generate the SIN number. They said that this is quite normal, and it will take a month for this issue to be resolved. Even after a month, if i do not receive the SIN number, then they asked me to follow-up on the case number.
After this, I did not think much into this and we drove to see Niagara Falls and then the next day, we flew back to SFO.

One Month Later - November 2nd week
* Still not received SIN number. Called up Service Canada helpline. Answer - They are still processing Oct 3rd applications and asked me to call after a week. I called after a week and they say that they are still waiting for clarifications from the immigration department on my wife's landing status. They asked me to check with immigration department on this matter. I called immigration helpline and after 10 mins of wait, I got through and was asked to provide landing details so that they can do manual check of the landing (Flight number, landing date and time, booking reference, COPR number etc.). The officer raised a complaint and asked me to wait for 2-3 weeks for the issue to be resolved.

I have no issues in waiting as I was not in Canada. Imagine this for people who want to open an bank account or do any such thing without a SIN number. Finally, in December 1 st week, the immigration team closed the complaint and validated the landing in their database. Now, the Service Canada is working on sending the SIN number. Expected delivery date - 3rd week of December. Due to this, she will receive her PR card sometime in Feb.

As far as my PR card, I received a ghost update in the beginning of this week. Maybe I will receive my PR card along with wife's SIN :) I am able to link her PR card application to my CIC account as well. (I was unable to do so before as her landing was not validated)

So, yeah, this was my landing and without even staying in Canada for more than 3 days, I had to deal with multiple calls/mails to different agencies just to sort out a simple paper works, right from time I received my VISA to SIN numbers!
Good

Can you share the process of adding PR card application into CIC account?

krishme007

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-09-2017
AOR Received.
23-10-2017
Med's Done....
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
17-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2017
I selected PR card application in Add/Link existing application in my CIC account. I went with the one with UCI and name option. Key in the place of birth exactly as you have it in passport. First letter Caps, commas , space if any

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
Good

Can you share the process of adding PR card application into CIC account?
Follow below steps only after you have landed. It gives only 5 attempts in one day.

1) Login to CIC account.
2) Go to section "Link an existing application to this account". Click on "Link application to this account" button.
3) Select category as PR Card
4) Select "Unique Client Identifier (UCI) and Family Name"
5) Fill required details (please make sure capital, small, comma etc.)
6) Provide landing date in "Date you became a permanent resident"
7) Click on search my application.
8) after application searched make sure you submit application else not linked.

However, for some people linking becomes impossible. This is primarily because people put their birth city not as per what is written in your passport. Birth city has to match exactly as in Passport including punctuation marks if any.

Once you have successfully linked your application it will shown you as "Submited" status and once it is ready for dispatch it will go into "Approved" status.

If you receive any photo request then it will not change any status. Regularly check PR card processing time on CIC website as photo request or PR card approval both come in last 5-10 days (i.e if processing time is 63 days then after 55 days you will be able to see some movement.)Hope it will work.

Reactions: NicolasHenri

AprAOR08

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
Follow below steps only after you have landed. It gives only 5 attempts in one day.

1) Login to CIC account.
2) Go to section "Link an existing application to this account". Click on "Link application to this account" button.
3) Select category as PR Card
4) Select "Unique Client Identifier (UCI) and Family Name"
5) Fill required details (please make sure capital, small, comma etc.)
6) Provide landing date in "Date you became a permanent resident"
7) Click on search my application.
8) after application searched make sure you submit application else not linked.

However, for some people linking becomes impossible. This is primarily because people put their birth city not as per what is written in your passport. Birth city has to match exactly as in Passport including punctuation marks if any.

Once you have successfully linked your application it will shown you as "Submited" status and once it is ready for dispatch it will go into "Approved" status.

If you receive any photo request then it will not change any status. Regularly check PR card processing time on CIC website as photo request or PR card approval both come in last 5-10 days (i.e if processing time is 63 days then after 55 days you will be able to see some movement.)Hope it will work.
Thanks for the post .. I hope things work out well.
Will you be able to share what was the proof of funds you showed on landing ?

I am currently in US and want to see whats the best way to do it.

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
Thanks for sharing, I also had the same issue this summer when I travelled with a TRV to Toronto for a few days as my visa was in an old passport.
It took a while for the agent to figure it out, in the end it was the same resolution: call immigration hotline & 'get an override' from their end (this was the terminology they used at American Airlines) :)

Reactions: krishme007

krishme007

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-09-2017
AOR Received.
23-10-2017
Med's Done....
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
17-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2017
Thanks for the post .. I hope things work out well.
Will you be able to share what was the proof of funds you showed on landing ?

I am currently in US and want to see whats the best way to do it.
They didn't ask about proof of funds. Though I had my bank statements with me, this did not even pop-up.