+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing seperately : how much proof of funds to be shown by principal applicant

boss2009

Star Member
Oct 17, 2009
Seniors please help

we are a family of 3 , myself , wife and kid.

i plan to land first , after a few months i plan to call my wife and kid.

My query is :

1) How much min proof of funds do i need to carry , if i go alone first?

2) If i carry full 17K with me , and when my wife comes , she comes empty handed , will that be a problem for her.

3) I have relatives in canada , can i apply for pr card and then come back to my country , or will i have to wait for my PR card and then travel back to my home country?

4) What all cards do i have to apply for ( PR,SIN,Medical....) , what is the fees of applying for these cards ??

5) What is the cheapest way to carry funds from India (draft/TC...), where i can get the best exchange rate ?

6)How long does it take to get the PR/SIN & Medical cards?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hey, many questions in one go? Here's how it works:

1) How much min proof of funds do i need to carry , if i go alone first?
At the POE, even if the PA lands alone, has to show the complete funds for the entire family. For the three of you: Funds Required > Cdn$16,580, must be shown by you upon 1st landing.
2) If i carry full 17K with me , and when my wife comes , she comes empty handed , will that be a problem for her.
Subsequent landings by family member do not need to show any funds.
3) I have relatives in canada , can i apply for pr card and then come back to my country , or will i have to wait for my PR card and then travel back to my home country?
Yes u can. The PR cards arrive by regular postal media. Someone can collect it on behalf of u and u may not wait at Canada. However, note that sending the PRC by post out-of-Canada is illegal. But many do so anyway.
4) What all cards do i have to apply for ( PR,SIN,Medical....) , what is the fees of applying for these cards ??
Apply PR & SIN cards immediately. Except for AB, the Health Amenity commences after 3 months only, for all other provinces. However, after u have a proof of residence, u can apply for it though. All for Free.
5) What is the cheapest way to carry funds from India (draft/TC...), where i can get the best exchange rate ?
Carry some cash for imdt expences. For rest, u can open a Canadian Bank a/c pre-landing from India. Check Scotiabank & ICICI bank sites. Morover, u can carry a draft (approx 30 days to take to encash at Canada) & TCs.
6) How long does it take to get the PR/SIN & Medical cards?
PR card: 4-6 weeks. SIN card: The SIN No. u'll get imdtly, the card'll take 3-4 weeks. Med cards: Plz see my answer at point-4.

Hope that helps.

can1da

Dec 9, 2009
1- Proof of FUNDS.... Is it possible for us to have BANK Statement (equivalent in EUROs???) from our Country of Residence instead of carrying CASH?

4- First Time Application for PR Card ... Is it free (Included with FSW Application)?
PR Card Applications requires 50 CAD per applicant (Infant too?).....Is this for renewal of PR card or first application after landing??? if yes for later, then Is it possible to pay online (outside CANADA, before landing) and print out original receipt required for application....

Many Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
1- Proof of FUNDS.... Is it possible for us to have BANK Statement (equivalent in EUROs???) from our Country of Residence instead of carrying CASH?
Yes, perfectly alright.

4- First Time Application for PR Card ... Is it free (Included with FSW Application)?
PR Card Applications requires 50 CAD per applicant (Infant too?).....Is this for renewal of PR card or first application after landing??? if yes for later, then Is it possible to pay online (outside CANADA, before landing) and print out original receipt required for application....
1st PR Card/s are FREE. -part of the PR package.