+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing questions

yvzp

Sep 11, 2011
I am having such a hard time finding what I am looking for. I got my visa so now we are preparing to move (from the US) and I am having trouble finding info on the landing process. I can't find any info on the process of bringing a moving truck and what I need to do to bring my things; do I need to have an inventory or anything? Do they generally keep the truck for inspection? Can I use any border crossing? There are four by where I live. Two are very small, but one of the small ones is right by where I am moving. Can I go through he small crossing, or do they only deal with immigrants landing at the larger crossings? Umm, I think that may be all my questions right now.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
As far as I know you can use any crossing. You need to complete the B4 form to show what you are bringing.

I don't know about the truck, my fiancé flew in, hopefully someone else will pick up this question for you

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
Canooknic said:
As far as I know you can use any crossing. You need to complete the B4 form to show what you are bringing.

I don't know about the truck, my fiancé flew in, hopefully someone else will pick up this question for you
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ainp-srs-h1b-landing-experience-and-post-landing-related-activities-t46784.0.html
The entire section is about landing from US.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I declared all goods when I landed and then drove a uhaul truck one way to Canada about a month later. They checked my papers but not the truck when I crossed at Queenston/Lewiston (after midnight in a snow storm so I am not sure they followed standard procedure). It took about 10 minutes and they did not hold or inspect my belongings.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
My husband just returned as a returning citizen on 9/1 and was not checked either.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yvzp said:
I am having such a hard time finding what I am looking for. I got my visa so now we are preparing to move (from the US) and I am having trouble finding info on the landing process. I can't find any info on the process of bringing a moving truck and what I need to do to bring my things; do I need to have an inventory or anything? Do they generally keep the truck for inspection? Can I use any border crossing? There are four by where I live. Two are very small, but one of the small ones is right by where I am moving. Can I go through he small crossing, or do they only deal with immigrants landing at the larger crossings? Umm, I think that may be all my questions right now.
If you're referring to Vancouver area ( 4 crossings, 5 if you count Pt. Roberts) than you can use any EXCEPT the I-5/99 (Peace Arch) crossing, as truck traffic is not permitted there. Use the Blaine crossing instead (543/176th St.) instead. The Lynden/Aldergrove crossing is only open from 8:00 a.m. to midnight and is a small two-lane road. The Sumas/Abbotsford crossing is probably too far east unless your ultimate destination is in the valley (Abbotsford/Chilliwack/maybe as far west as Langley). Construction delays at the Port Mann Bridge and its approaches (Hwy 1/Trans-Canada Hwy) can be quite long especially if you're in a truck and unfamiliar with the area mean you should probably avid the latter two crossings mentiuoned. A rental moving truck will be no problem.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

NeedleArtist said:
If you're referring to Vancouver area ( 4 crossings, 5 if you count Pt. Roberts) than you can use any EXCEPT the I-5/99 (Peace Arch) crossing, as truck traffic is not permitted there. Use the Blaine crossing instead (543/176th St.) instead. The Lynden/Aldergrove crossing is only open from 8:00 a.m. to midnight and is a small two-lane road. The Sumas/Abbotsford crossing is probably too far east unless your ultimate destination is in the valley (Abbotsford/Chilliwack/maybe as far west as Langley). Construction delays at the Port Mann Bridge and its approaches (Hwy 1/Trans-Canada Hwy) can be quite long especially if you're in a truck and unfamiliar with the area mean you should probably avid the latter two crossings mentiuoned. A rental moving truck will be no problem.
No Immigration services at Aldergrove.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

No Immigration services at Aldergrove.
Thanks PMM, I stand corrected.
I should have known that ... I lived in Lynden before coming to Vancouver and I used that border crossing countless times. It was actually quicker for me to drive to Aldergrove (Rt.13/264th St. and Fraser Hwy) than it it was to drive to downtown Bellingham. I'm a retiree and a couple of times every week my wife and I would eat breakfast at the White Spot and/or dinner at Boston Pizza, and on most mornings I would cross just to grab some TimBits, a Double-Double and a copy of The Province! The CBP contingent got so used to seeing me first-in-line when they raised the barrier at 8:00 a.m. that I was on a first-name basis with some of them.

JhonSmith

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
yvzp said: