+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing questions

gilean

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have couple of questions regarding the landing process.

First couple of background info;

1- I won't be moving to Canada at least until August, and it is likely that I won't move at all for 1.5 years. My wife will move to Canada in June, but she won't bring anything to Canada except basics (luggage with clothes) and a laptop.

2- We will be visiting Canada this March for 3-4 days.

Now the questions;

1- I heard that I don't have to land in Canada, and just use the COPR/Visa to visit it. Is that true?

2- Do I need to land (not just visit) to apply for SIN?

3- How long do you wait for SIN? Do you have to present in the Canada for the process after you applied in person?

4- If I land, do I have to bring B4? I won't be bringing anything before August and more likely I won't be bringing anything until 2017 May. So there is no way for me to know what I will bring later on. What can I do?

5- If I land, can I give my friend's address for the PR card and ask them to either ship or bring it in person to me to the US?

6- It is likely that if I move in 2017, I will bring to cars with me but not earlier than 2017. So if (question 4) I have to bring B4, do I have to write the VIN of my car even if I don't know that I will bring the car or not?

Thanks in advance!

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sin will be like instantly given to you in service canada once you land go with your copr, passport...

yes you can give your friend's address for pr card.
and they can ship or hand it to you personally thats fine.

if you are not bringing your car right now then no need to declare.

B4 form needs to be filled if you are bringing some goods with you. so not needed in your case.

gilean

Star Member
Apr 27, 2015
Thanks for the answers. The reason I am worried is that I read if I don't bring B4 and if at some point I bring my stuff to Canada, I would have to pay tax. I don't want to do that mistake.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
gilean said:
1- I heard that I don't have to land in Canada, and just use the COPR/Visa to visit it. Is that true?

No, that is not true. A COPR is not a visitor's visa. If you arrive in Canada with the COPR, that is "landing."

2- Do I need to land (not just visit) to apply for SIN?
Yes.

3- Do you have to present in the Canada for the process after you applied in person?
No. If you have friends/family in Canada and can use their address temporarily to receive mail, that is OK.

4- If I land, do I have to bring B4? I won't be bringing anything before August and more likely I won't be bringing anything until 2017 May. So there is no way for me to know what I will bring later on. What can I do?

You can start getting serious about becoming a permanent resident, no one said it would be easy.

When you land, you need the B4. If you have "goods to follow" you need to list those separately from the goods you import at the time of landing.

You don't have to use a form, but you CAN use this one (this can also be an extension to the B4). Even if you type up your own lists on plain paper - the important point is that the personal effects being imported at the time of landing are on one list, and the goods to follow at a later date be on a separate list.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4a.pdf

If you want to bring in something later that is not on your "goods to follow" list, it is not covered by your personal effects exemption and you will likely have to pay duties on it.

5- If I land, can I give my friend's address for the PR card and ask them to either ship or bring it in person to me to the US?

Yes.

6- It is likely that if I move in 2017, I will bring to cars with me but not earlier than 2017. So if (question 4) I have to bring B4, do I have to write the VIN of my car even if I don't know that I will bring the car or not?

Yes, if you want to bring it in duty-free. And See the "goods to follow" information.

Also note that for vehicles, there is a process to follow, both to import a vehicle to Canada, AND to export a vehicle from the USA.

https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

More information -
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

In the end, you can only do the best that you can do, if there are consequences later, then you deal with them. Good luck!

mechanical95

Star Member
Nov 12, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-July-15
Doc's Request.
24-July-15 & 5-Aug-15
AOR Received.
17-July-15
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
May 15
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Nov 15
VISA ISSUED...
8-Dec 15
LANDED..........
27-May-16
Hi Folks!
I am provisional Nominee of Nova Scotia - Halifax. I purchased tickets with a route which will first land in Montreal, have connecting flight to Halifax after 5 hours.
Questions:
1- Is it ok to land in Montreal since I do not have CSQ form. After landing, I have connecting flight.

2- Will 5 Hours be sufficient at Montreal for paper work for me and for my family.

3- I am Pakistani National and I have connecting flight from Paris. Will I need Airport transit visa. Flight is from Riyadh-Paris-Montreal-Halifax.