+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Questions

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
aashu287 said:
Hey there , thanks for your reply I have seen the table link below ....I have pr visa and at the time of processing i had show 9 lacs but now I have I have 5 lacs left so will it be OK to carry and land in Canada . Some of ma friends say that I can carry a minimum amout 5000$ to canada I need not to show the exact amount pof the one I showed @ processing .
i know that some people in the forum have mentioned that they managed to get by with carrying less funds than the amount required by cic, but in my opinion that is a high risk. my advice..go by the rules.

Duskyblue

Jan 23, 2015
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
But... they can't seriously expect you carry 10'000 or more in cash....?! That's insane! Especially considering the small-amount-bills (no 1000er for example in CAD). And the other options I have never heard of / don't understand what they are.
The only sensible thing seems to get a Canadian bank account first, but that is probably very difficult.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Duskyblue said:
But... they can't seriously expect you carry 10'000 or more in cash....?! That's insane! Especially considering the small-amount-bills (no 1000er for example in CAD). And the other options I have never heard of / don't understand what they are.
The only sensible thing seems to get a Canadian bank account first, but that is probably very difficult.
Well you are coming as landed immigrant - they expect you to expected to settle here and depend on your own savings until you find a job. Its not the same as visiting a country as a tourist for a few days for example.

Some people prefer other options such as traveller cheques/draft cheques...but of course there are fees for cashing them.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Duskyblue said:
No one expects you to carry 10k or more in cash, it's only one option, and many people apparently do.

Emamabd has mentioned some other options. You could also bring an uptodate bank statement showing available funds in your account and proof you have immediate access to them (debit/credit card accepted in Canada, for example).

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Duskyblue said:
We're in 2015 and the only way you know to transport money is carrying bills? :'(

There are travellers checks, bank accounts, personal checks, etc.

I carried a $10K personal check when I immigrated and the officer asked me to show all the money I had, every single bill.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
neutral said:
We're in 2015 and the only way you know to transport money is carrying bills? :'(

I carried a $10K personal check when I immigrated and the officer asked me to show all the money I had, every single bill.
Back when we came, we had probably a couple of hundred dollars in cash and a bank statement showing enough money.. But no one asked anything.

Duskyblue

Jan 23, 2015
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
neutral said:

Well, no. ;) The obvious thing for me would just be bank accounts, but I was told only Canadian banks are accepted and I can't get an before I have my PR. However, if my current accounts work, that would be great.
My country doesn't do personal checks anymore, but I will look into traveller checks... there must be something. (Actually, we do like everything with bank transfers here... everything else has high charges to punish you.)

I was just really confused because I keep reading about people bringing all the cash over, and I got the impression that's what you are expected to do. Glad to know that's not true, though!