+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing queries

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Hi all,

I have few queries on landing, would be great if any of those already landed , can pls help me with these :

1) Proof of Funds : I will be landing along with my daughter in Toronto in few days. Can you pls help me with the following queries:
a) Pls confirm the total funds requirement for me and my daughter in total is CAD 16000 ,
b) what is the limit at customs for carrying cash : is it CAD 3000 or CAD 10000 ? Also, is this requirement only for cash or it also includes other stuff like travel card balance, jewellery, bank statements etc
c) what is the best way to bring this Proof of funds amount in Canada especially with this limit of customs. Can I carry 3000 in cash in CAD plus balance in a travel card? Is this a valid and acceptable proof of funds ? or Another option is that I carry 3000 or 4000 in CAD in cash and remaining amount in the form of bank statements from my bank ( which will be in Indian Rupee ) , once i land and open a bank account in Canada, I can then transfer this balance amount online from my INR bank account to Canada bank account in CAD.
d) Can you pls send me some link of government website where I can check the custom limit is of 10000 CAD or 3000 CAD?

2) Jewellery : Pls suggest is it recommended to carry all jewellery on first landing ? If yes, I suppose I should carry it in my hand bang in flight , pls suggest how it is to be declared at customs and if any documents are needed to declare these assets. Do we even need to declare minor jewellery at customs eg the ones we wear regularly like gold bangles or a gold pendant or gold rings etc ? Alternately if I dont get the jewellery with me and plan to bring it later , what are the duties payable then ( just to get an idea of the value of the duties ). Is there any government website I can check all this?

3) Medicines : Are there any medicines which are restricted in Canada ? Is there any government website where I can check which medicines to bring and which not?

Thank you.

Cheers,
G

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For Canada, there is no custom limit to import funds into Canada, whether it's $300 or 1 million. However, you need to declare if over $10,000. For jewelries, you don't have to wear with you. Just prepare and get the BSF form stamped, and you would entitled to bring them later without further duties.

You can read the CBSA website for further information.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Hi GargiS,

That is the kind of questions you can get answered by a pre-arrival service. Let me know if you would like a referral to a pre-arrival service, I will be happy to provide one.

If you are not interested, I could still answer a few of your questions :)