+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing: Proof of Funds (and the format), City of Destination, B4 forms, landing experience?

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi all,

I got my CoPR and PR visa last week (EE FSW) and I am planning to "land" in Canada (as single applicant) in the next couple of weeks.
To that end I had a few questions that have been bothering me for the past couple of days. I am a guy who likes my bases covered so this question is a bit lengthy, so please bear with me.

1) Proof of Funds: Do we need to show these at the time of landing? I read conflicting answers on various other forums regarding this; I have a general idea that this might depend on the track through which we get our PR. Also, one person said we need to transfer funds to a Canadian bank before we land and show those bank statements. This seems weird! How is that even possible if Canadian banks won't let me open an account without an SIN which we get only after landing?

Regarding PoF format:
I got a fresh official letter from my bank stating how much money I have in my US savings account (in USD since I'm working and earning in USA), the yearly deposits and average balances etc. and this is more than min. requirement of CAD 12,300. I also got a similar letter last year when I applied and that was obviously accepted since I have my CoPR now. Is it ok to show this new bank letter during landing, if asked?

I also have my 401k retirement account (whose value in itself is more than the minimum requirement of CAD 12,300). I will have to withdraw (with 10% penalty for early withdrawal) that anyway since it's a US account and I'll have to move that money to Canada. Can I show my 401k as a second savings account? I don't foresee the need to produce this document during the landing but just in case they ask for more PoF....

So combining these two (savings + retirement) I have atleast twice the required settlement funds (in case they ask for PoF I don't want to show that I only have slightly more than CAD 12,300, showing more money will always impress the immigration officer more and he won't have any doubts).

I also have multiple credit cards with available credit far exceeding the required amount which can be used for stuff, but I'm guessing since it's a line of credit they probably won't accept this?

2) City of Destination: On my CoPR the city of destination is given as Toronto. Do I need to land in Toronto, or I can land anywhere I want the first time (flights to Vancouver are much more convenient for me)? Does it matter if I drive across or fly across the border?

3) B4 (list of goods) forms: During my landing I'll only be staying for 2-3 days since I have to return back to US for moving preparations that can take weeks if not months. Thus I will be only taking documents, some small electronics, and clothes etc for 3-day worth of stay.

What should I declare in the goods-I-have-with-me-right-now form, and how much valuation do I put? Will they give me any trouble because of this valuation?

My goods-to-follow form will probably contain my household items (TV, small furniture, electronics, utensils, even more documents, wardrobe items etc etc.)
If I list more items than I actually bring on the day of moving, will it be an issue with customs? (I know that if I bring more than what I listed I can be charged custom duty so I'll be careful not to do that.)

If the officer asks and I let him know that I'll only be staying for 3 days and will come back in a few weeks for final moving, is that OK?

4) Landing experiences: Can anyone share any experiences they have regarding any of the above questions? Overall I've heard and read that landing in Canada is an easy affair but I want to make sure I get everything right for a smooth experience.

As an aside:
What happens if the immigration officer raises any objection to any of the above items, assuming all my other documents are in order? I've heard people saying they were "denied entry" as a PR. What to do if anything like that happens? Do you have to apply again or get a new PR visa and try landing again?

I don't foresee it happening with me but as I said, I like to have my bases covered.

Thanks

Last edited:

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Landing experience:

So I landed today successfully! Smooth sailing (in fact, the actual "landing" of the plane was more scary since it was VERY turbulent here today in Toronto!). Everything after that went smoothly.

A few things I noted (in Toronto) that I hadn't read anywhere. Once you exit the plane you come to a section where they have kiosks where everyone fills out the customs card; Everyone filled out one already in the plane but at a later point the first immigration officers basically threw that one in the garbage in front of us and only used the one printed from the kiosk.

At the kiosk: Passport goes in face down, didn't know that :p . After that the kiosk asks you all the same info you filled out on the customs card + the option of "Purpose of visit: To immigrate" which all of you will probably tick, and then it takes your picture. It then prints our a receipt with your pic and all the info in it and the immigration agents initially use this to direct you to the first checkpoint.

At the first checkpoint: Here you will state your purpose (landing) and they will only mark that on your customs card and then direct you down the line where an agent will tell you to go to the secondary immigration room.

Secondary Immigration room: Today it was EMPTY! I was the first AND the only one in line even after mine was done! :eek:o_O;)

The immigration officer was very polite and kind (in the background the other agents were cracking friendly jokes and laughing so it was a very pleasant atmosphere). My IO looked over everything and checked all the information on the CoPR and Visa and passport (the names should match EXACTLY and that was what he checked). After that he asked me all the info on the CoPR was still correct and I said yes. Then he took down the address where my PR card will be sent. He actually wasn't sure if the address was correct (I had verified it in Google maps before), so he actually re-checked if it was valid, on his computer, so my PR card doesn't get lost :). He also asked me "how much money are you bringing into Canada?", I remembered the $10,000 limit rule and said "I don't have any cash on me right now" (I actually only had US$50 on my person as cash :) and my credit card and bank cards etc since I was planning to stay only for a few days initially). He said "but how much money do you have access to?". I said "X Canadian dollars" (well above the $12300 limit for single person). He wrote the amount down on the CoPR but did not ask for any PoF. Then he asked me to initial the information on the CoPR and sign it. After that he said "Congrats, you are now a confirmed PR". Then he went ahead and explained to me that the CoPR can now be used as proof of PR, the 2/5 residency requirement etc. etc.. (most of this I knew already from what all research I had done). Then I said thank you and left.

SIN: The IO told me that the SIN office was right next door but he wasn't sure it would be open since it was a holiday. I did not see anything outside (or maybe I missed it in all the crowd outside). I will get it some other day!

And then collected my checked bag and went straight ahead to customs. He checked my kiosk receipt and directed me down another door where you had a lot of counters with customs agents on it.

Customs (B4): The customs agents were a lot more frostier than the IOs, don't know why o_O. My Customs agent checked my B4 form and lists (both accompanying and to follow, 2 copies each!). Remember, they want 2 copies of B4 + accompanying list, and 2 copies of B4+goods to follow list. She - was probably new at the job - took a long time to go through that (then she was joined by her supervisor and then they checked everything again!) which ended up them basically removing a few items from my lists:

1) I had put "Documents" as a category in my accompanying list, with replacement costs as value which was like $2000 when I calculated it for all the documents. I added it because I did not know if it was needed or if they'll object if I'm bringing over docs and not listing it. She said "$2000?! Nuh-uh! Ain't happenin'". I said "OK, you can cancel it, I just wasn't sure". But that was OK no harm done!

2) She also removed a "Jar of Protein powder" that I had added since I was planning to bring it (it's expensive!) and I added it to the list because I'm an idiot :oops:! They raise eyebrows for food items! Same for "spices". But again no harm done!

3) She also mentioned that I cannot bring a mattress unless it's cleaned/fumigated etc (even if it is from the US). Again, I said "fine remove whatever you want", so no harm done!

I then specifically asked if it was OK if I did not bring some items that I had listed and she said "absolutely"! So that's good to know!

After she stamped and added it to her computer, she asked me to go to the "Cashier" - I previously had NO idea there is this thing called "cashier" and that you have to get a $0.00 no-tax receipt, and for a second I thought "holy cr*p" she's gonna make me pay for all these goods:eek: - and print out a receipt which basically said $0.00 for all taxes and she attached it to one copy of my forms and gave it to me. They stamp and sign it and that receipt + the forms + list (stamped) is your proof of what items you're allowed to bring in duty-free.

After that was done I basically let myself out and entered Canada as a PR :):cool::rolleyes:!!

Hope this experience helps others who are about to land!

Last edited:

rupinder2k17

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Patiala, Punjab
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
Doc's Request.
18-07-2017
AOR Received.
22-06-2017
Med's Done....
21-07-2017
Passport Req..
10-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2017
Landing experience:

So I landed today successfully! Smooth sailing (in fact, the actual "landing" of the plane was more scary since it was VERY turbulent here today in Toronto!). Everything after that went smoothly.

A few things I noted (in Toronto) that I hadn't read anywhere. Once you exit the plane you come to a section where they have kiosks where everyone fills out the customs card; Everyone filled out one already in the plane but at a later point the first immigration officers basically threw that one in the garbage in front of us and only used the one printed from the kiosk.

At the kiosk: Passport goes in face down, didn't know that :p . After that the kiosk asks you all the same info you filled out on the customs card + the option of "Purpose of visit: To immigrate" which all of you will probably tick, and then it takes your picture. It then prints our a receipt with your pic and all the info in it and the immigration agents initially use this to direct you to the first checkpoint.

At the first checkpoint: Here you will state your purpose (landing) and they will only mark that on your customs card and then direct you down the line where an agent will tell you to go to the secondary immigration room.

Secondary Immigration room: Today it was EMPTY! I was the first AND the only one in line even after mine was done! :eek:o_O;)

The immigration officer was very polite and kind (in the background the other agents were cracking friendly jokes and laughing so it was a very pleasant atmosphere). My IO looked over everything and checked all the information on the CoPR and Visa and passport (the names should match EXACTLY and that was what he checked). After that he asked me all the info on the CoPR was still correct and I said yes. Then he took down the address where my PR card will be sent. He actually wasn't sure if the address was correct (I had verified it in Google maps before), so he actually re-checked if it was valid, on his computer, so my PR card doesn't get lost :). He also asked me "how much money are you bringing into Canada?", I remembered the $10,000 limit rule and said "I don't have any cash on me right now" (I actually only had US$50 on my person as cash :) and my credit card and bank cards etc since I was planning to stay only for a few days initially). He said "but how much money do you have access to?". I said "X Canadian dollars" (well above the $12300 limit for single person). He wrote the amount down on the CoPR but did not ask for any PoF. Then he asked me to initial the information on the CoPR and sign it. After that he said "Congrats, you are now a confirmed PR". Then he went ahead and explained to me that the CoPR can now be used as proof of PR, the 2/5 residency requirement etc. etc.. (most of this I knew already from what all research I had done). Then I said thank you and left.

SIN: The IO told me that the SIN office was right next door but he wasn't sure it would be open since it was a holiday. I did not see anything outside (or maybe I missed it in all the crowd outside). I will get it some other day!

And then collected my checked bag and went straight ahead to customs. He checked my kiosk receipt and directed me down another door where you had a lot of counters with customs agents on it.

Customs (B4): The customs agents were a lot more frostier than the IOs, don't know why o_O. My Customs agent checked my B4 form and lists (both accompanying and to follow, 2 copies each!). Remember, they want 2 copies of B4 + accompanying list, and 2 copies of B4+goods to follow list. She - was probably new at the job - took a long time to go through that (then she was joined by her supervisor and then they checked everything again!) which ended up them basically removing a few items from my lists:

1) I had put "Documents" as a category in my accompanying list, with replacement costs as value which was like $2000 when I calculated it for all the documents. I added it because I did not know if it was needed or if they'll object if I'm bringing over docs and not listing it. She said "$2000?! Nuh-uh! Ain't happenin'". I said "OK, you can cancel it, I just wasn't sure". But that was OK no harm done!

2) She also removed a "Jar of Protein powder" that I had added since I was planning to bring it (it's expensive!) and I added it to the list because I'm an idiot :oops:! They raise eyebrows for food items! Same for "spices". But again no harm done!

3) She also mentioned that I cannot bring a mattress unless it's cleaned/fumigated etc (even if it is from the US). Again, I said "fine remove whatever you want", so no harm done!

I then specifically asked if it was OK if I did not bring some items that I had listed and she said "absolutely"! So that's good to know!

After she stamped and added it to her computer, she asked me to go to the "Cashier" - I previously had NO idea there is this thing called "cashier" and that you have to get a $0.00 no-tax receipt, and for a second I thought "holy cr*p" she's gonna make me pay for all these goods:eek: - and print out a receipt which basically said $0.00 for all taxes and she attached it to one copy of my forms and gave it to me. They stamp and sign it and that receipt + the forms + list (stamped) is your proof of what items you're allowed to bring in duty-free.

After that was done I basically let myself out and entered Canada as a PR :):cool::rolleyes:!!

Very helpful indeed!

I am landing in Toronto on 24th october. So, i have few questions:

1. What all is asked in the custom's card or at the kiosk?
2. Is there any particular format for B4 and goods to follow list?

Any other suggestion / recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

elzsb

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
UAE
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi @ch671 , thank you for taking the time to detail out the whole process. It really helps us understand what to expect. Could you let me know if there is any time frame within which the good to follow has to enter the country? any idea?

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Very helpful indeed!

I am landing in Toronto on 24th october. So, i have few questions:

1. What all is asked in the custom's card or at the kiosk?
2. Is there any particular format for B4 and goods to follow list?

Any other suggestion / recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
1) In the customs card it's the same information like "are you brining X into Canada?" E.g.: firearms, farm animals or goods, more than $10000 in cash etc. If you go to CBSA website there's a list of forms there; search for E311 or customs card. It's that same information plus an additional question "Purpose of visit: Immigration".

2) Download BSF186.pdf from the internet. It works as both B4, and B4A form. Only fill out the name address country of origin and list of goods (categories). And tick "settler". You'll fill out the rest over there. You don't even have to fill out anything you Can just take the lists (total 4 copies) and fill out the blank B4s in front on customs. You don't even have to do the goods to follow right now. You can do it later when u actually move, based on what I read on a wiki blog

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Landing experience:

EDIT:
SIN:
So I went to the SIN office the day after my landing. I initially went to Service Ontario where I waited for an hour before she told me SIN can be obtained only at Service Canada. At both places there was LONG line of people, just like the DMVs in the US. I waited for maybe 1.5-2 hours at the Service Canada office. Once I got to the counter it took less than 2 mins to get my SIN. At the SO office they have the token system whereas at SC office they call you out by names.

Bank:
Once I obtained SIN I roamed around the main street where all the banks are located. RBC and Scotiabank told me they have monthly fee for their accounts and they need an address. I was hesitant to give my friend's address as was only staying there for a few days I did not want to inundate him with mail from the bank. Eventually I ended up at TD Canada Trust where the banker gave me an amazing offer of no-fee accounts and the ability to hold my mail at the bank until I give him my permanent address. TD account was very flexible in a lot of ways so I signed up for that.
Note: If you are like me and looking to wire money from US/India to Canada, the payer bank assesses a huge wire fee ($35 from US to Canada). I did not bring a lot of cash or cashier's checks from the US so I was not able to deposit a ton of money the day I opened my bank. If you are landing and planning to stay longer I would recommend bring a few grand for depositing in the bank.

Driving:
Driving in Canada is really easy if you are an experienced US driver, except that speed and distance uses km instead of miles. Also, the exit lane markings are slightly different than the US. If you are coming straight from India don't even try! You'll probably wreck your car on day 1. If you have US driving experience, traffic and speed (overspeeding!) is very similar to that in Bay area/LA, except people are less aggressive and there is no honking whatsoever. The traffic in Toronto sucks during peak hours though, just like in the US!

Niagara:
If you are planning to visit Niagara without mistakenly crossing into the US without paperwork, I would recommend you put "Journey behind the falls parking lot" on your GPS. It is far from the Rainbow bridge that connects US and Canada, and it's right next to the horseshoe falls; trust me, you're gonna wanna see that! Don't even try going onto the Rainbow bridge unless you are crossing over; there is not U-turn allowed once you're on the bridge. I knew this and planned accordingly.

dvkh

Jun 2, 2019
EDIT:
SIN:
So I went to the SIN office the day after my landing. I initially went to Service Ontario where I waited for an hour before she told me SIN can be obtained only at Service Canada. At both places there was LONG line of people, just like the DMVs in the US. I waited for maybe 1.5-2 hours at the Service Canada office. Once I got to the counter it took less than 2 mins to get my SIN. At the SO office they have the token system whereas at SC office they call you out by names.

Bank:
Once I obtained SIN I roamed around the main street where all the banks are located. RBC and Scotiabank told me they have monthly fee for their accounts and they need an address. I was hesitant to give my friend's address as was only staying there for a few days I did not want to inundate him with mail from the bank. Eventually I ended up at TD Canada Trust where the banker gave me an amazing offer of no-fee accounts and the ability to hold my mail at the bank until I give him my permanent address. TD account was very flexible in a lot of ways so I signed up for that.
Note: If you are like me and looking to wire money from US/India to Canada, the payer bank assesses a huge wire fee ($35 from US to Canada). I did not bring a lot of cash or cashier's checks from the US so I was not able to deposit a ton of money the day I opened my bank. If you are landing and planning to stay longer I would recommend bring a few grand for depositing in the bank.

Driving:
Driving in Canada is really easy if you are an experienced US driver, except that speed and distance uses km instead of miles. Also, the exit lane markings are slightly different than the US. If you are coming straight from India don't even try! You'll probably wreck your car on day 1. If you have US driving experience, traffic and speed (overspeeding!) is very similar to that in Bay area/LA, except people are less aggressive and there is no honking whatsoever. The traffic in Toronto sucks during peak hours though, just like in the US!

Niagara:
If you are planning to visit Niagara without mistakenly crossing into the US without paperwork, I would recommend you put "Journey behind the falls parking lot" on your GPS. It is far from the Rainbow bridge that connects US and Canada, and it's right next to the horseshoe falls; trust me, you're gonna wanna see that! Don't even try going onto the Rainbow bridge unless you are crossing over; there is not U-turn allowed once you're on the bridge. I knew this and planned accordingly.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm planning to land in Vancouver next month. I have a quick question: when you said the agents ended "removing a few items from my lists: ", do you mean they threw away your belongings such as the documents and power? Or did they simply cross out those from the document but allow you to bring them in? I want to bring some food from home (dried fish, spices, etc) and not sure if I could bring them or not. Thanks a bunch!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I'm planning to land in Vancouver next month. I have a quick question: when you said the agents ended "removing a few items from my lists: ", do you mean they threw away your belongings such as the documents and power? Or did they simply cross out those from the document but allow you to bring them in? I want to bring some food from home (dried fish, spices, etc) and not sure if I could bring them or not. Thanks a bunch!
Most food items (especially dried fish) will be confiscated and throw away. Dried fish can be find in Vancouver's Chinatown.

dvkh

Jun 2, 2019
Most food items (especially dried fish) will be confiscated and throw away. Dried fish can be find in Vancouver's Chinatown.
Are you talking from your personal experience? Because I've heard from people who could bring them in.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you talking from your personal experience? Because I've heard from people who could bring them in.
Sometimes border officers and their dogs doesn't do their jobs properly.

Cris1987

Jul 14, 2021
Guys, I have a quick question.
I received my Ready for Visa e-mail the past week and they are asking "The complete address in which you intend to live in Canada and specify your current country of residence".
What is this address supposed to be? I mean: am I supposed to simply ask a friend to help me with a mailing address? Or am I supposed to find a long-term address? Also, do I have to land in that city? Go to the Immigration Office in town someday?