+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Landing" Process

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Hi there-

I just received the good news that I will be issued my permanent resident visa. I have to send off my passport so they can attach the visa and then once I receive it back, I can officially "land," right? I will be flying from Chicago to Calgary, is there a specific line I have to go to at the Calgary airport? I guess I am just wondering what to expect during this process and what I need to make sure I have with me, besides my passport, obviously. Thanks for any help!!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Your immigration visa will have an expiration date. Usually it's one year from the date you had your medical exam. You'll also receive a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR).

You should look for a line for immigrants and work permit applicants. If you don't see it, ask someone.

You should have
* passport containing immigration visa
* COPR
* completed forms B4 (personal effects accounting form) and B4A (personal effects acccounting form - continued)
* proof of funds (if applicable)

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Would the proof of funds apply to me since it's a family class sponsorship? Also, what are the accounting forms and where do I get them?

Thanks so much!

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Also, do they take my picture at the airport for my permanent resident card? How long is it before I get my pr card? Can I apply for a SIN number right away? Also, I am hoping I will be able to work right away. Will I have to wait until I get my SIN number?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Proof of funds doesn't apply to family class.

The accounting forms can be downloaded here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4/
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/

Unless you provided a picture that is exactly the size and clarity they want, they will re-take your picture when you arrive.

You'll get your PR card about a month after you arrive.

Yes, you can apply for the SIN number right after you arrive. You'll be given the SIN number at the time you apply and you can begin working as soon as you have it. Your SIN card will arrive in the mail one to three weeks later.