+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing/Pre-landing queries - Pls help

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Yes, you'll need to find a family doctor/or if you go to any walk-in clinic and show them the immunization records from your home country, the doctor should be able to fill in the local immunization card and provide it back to you.
You can still register your kids at school with your home country immunization record, but the school will likely give you a few weeks to provide the local card. Your kids may also be missing" vaccines which you'll need to catch-up on..etc.
Many thanks @emamabd . This is very clear now :)

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Many thanks @emamabd . This is very clear now :)
Also, ICICI do have few retail branches in Canada if you wish to open an account there. Also you can withdraw using your Indian debit card, given it is an International debit card ,which most of the private banks give.

Just make sure you call up customer care and ask them to increase international withdrawal limits as most banks have it capped at 25,000 INR for security reasons. Most will allow you to increase it to as high as 1.5lacs a day. Informing them also helps because they won't suspect a fraud when they suddenly notice someone withdrawing money from your account in Canada.

Also, you can use any standard bank ATM here. So you basically get CAD here, and INR equivalent is debited from your account in India.

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Many thanks @alok4best for your detailed reply.

Few points:

1) POF: ICICI doesnt have branches in Canada. I will check out the Scotia bank option. Will visit them here first. I liked your idea of what you did for POF 2 years back. Carrying a statement is best - no hassles. Just one thing , how did you withdraw from your INR account directly through debit card? Is it possible with different currencies and different banks ?

2) Goods to follow : I plan to bring some jewelry but not in my next trip or even after multiple trips. Its a headache for me to keep stuff over there with me still unsettled. They r just fine in India atleast for few years. Do I still need to declare in goods to follow? If I dont , what are the implications?

3) Schooling - Thanks. So I should start applying to them and contacting right away or is it too early and I should only do once i land in Canada in april end?

4) Regulated /Unregulated profession - Is there any website I can check and confirm this for myself?

5) D L : Thanks this is very useful. Will check will my local RTO what they can provide. Also, I am not sure if one can get International Driving license in India and if this is possible, then will it be of any use in Canada.

6) Any idea where to get this Form B4 from ?

Also @alok4best , I await your reply on the above queries !! Many thanks.

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Also, ICICI do have few retail branches in Canada if you wish to open an account there. Also you can withdraw using your Indian debit card, given it is an International debit card ,which most of the private banks give.

Just make sure you call up customer care and ask them to increase international withdrawal limits as most banks have it capped at 25,000 INR for security reasons. Most will allow you to increase it to as high as 1.5lacs a day. Informing them also helps because they won't suspect a fraud when they suddenly notice someone withdrawing money from your account in Canada.

Also, you can use any standard bank ATM here. So you basically get CAD here, and INR equivalent is debited from your account in India.

Thanks . That's a great idea. Any idea about the kind of transaction charges for such international withdrawals in a different currency ?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Reactions: GargiS

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Thanks . That's a great idea. Any idea about the kind of transaction charges for such international withdrawals in a different currency ?
It is not bad for the convenience. Let's say the current rate is 1CAD = 50INR. And if you withdraw 500CAD, then instead of 25000, your bank may cut 25300. It also differs bank to bank. I didn't bother too much about exchange rates as simplicity and convenience were my primary concern. Your Indian credit cards will also work fine for purchases etc.

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
It is not bad for the convenience. Let's say the current rate is 1CAD = 50INR. And if you withdraw 500CAD, then instead of 25000, your bank may cut 25300. It also differs bank to bank. I didn't bother too much about exchange rates as simplicity and convenience were my primary concern. Your Indian credit cards will also work fine for purchases etc.
Great !! Yes , its convenient no doubt ! Thanks.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Also @alok4best , I await your reply on the above queries !! Many thanks.
Ques1 already answered.
Ques2: Only the immediate, that is the second trip is duty free. Any subsequent trips will be subject to duty free allowances, which is 800CAD per person if you are spending 48hrs and plus outside Canada. So if your jewelry is more than 800CAD, you will be charged duty on the extra amount.
Ques3: Do it once you are here. School enrollment works differently here. Every public school has a geographic are it covers. So unless you opt to pay for a private school, you really have just one option to enroll your kid in the school which is responsible for your post code. So don't bother about that at the moment.
Ques4: I don't think there is a list per se. You will have to do it other way around. What is your field of work?
Ques5: International license will allow you to drive for first 90 days in Canada. Decide if it's worth the hassle.
Ques6: Form B4, accompanying goods or goods to follow.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ques1 already answered.
Ques2: Only the immediate, that is the second trip is duty free. Any subsequent trips will be subject to duty free allowances, which is 800CAD per person if you are spending 48hrs and plus outside Canada. So if your jewelry is more than 800CAD, you will be charged duty on the extra amount.
Ques3: Do it once you are here. School enrollment works differently here. Every public school has a geographic are it covers. So unless you opt to pay for a private school, you really have just one option to enroll your kid in the school which is responsible for your post code. So don't bother about that at the moment.
Ques4: I don't think there is a list per se. You will have to do it other way around. What is your field of work?
Ques5: International license will allow you to drive for first 90 days in Canada. Decide if it's worth the hassle.
Ques6: Form B4, accompanying goods or goods to follow.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.pdf

Thanks @alok4best ...this really helps.

Ques 2: So, the choice I have to make is essentially between : whether to get the jewelry with me while landing/next landing ( for this need to go through all the pain of getting the jewelry value estimated and certified by some jeweler , take pics of each piece) OR not bring these to Canada at all since these are then subject to import duties. I am sure keeping this stuff in lockers in Canada must be having high charges. I dont why but the thought of carrying all this to Canada is really bothering me.

Ques 4: My field of work - Corporate finance. I am Senior Manager in a pharma company currently. My NOC Code 0111. I have done MBA, WES evaluation says Canadian Equivalent is Masters.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Thanks @alok4best ...this really helps.

Ques 2: So, the choice I have to make is essentially between : whether to get the jewelry with me while landing/next landing ( for this need to go through all the pain of getting the jewelry value estimated and certified by some jeweler , take pics of each piece) OR not bring these to Canada at all since these are then subject to import duties. I am sure keeping this stuff in lockers in Canada must be having high charges. I dont why but the thought of carrying all this to Canada is really bothering me.

Ques 4: My field of work - Corporate finance. I am Senior Manager in a pharma company currently. My NOC Code 0111. I have done MBA, WES evaluation says Canadian Equivalent is Masters.
Ques2: Indeed. Instead of estimation, you could use the invoices if you still have them. Or bring them one at a time, but that only works for items which are less than 800$.

Ques4: I don't think corporate finance is regulated. There might be related industry certifications though which may help you in job search.

mkumar2

Dec 4, 2017
thanks
very informative
All good replies so far. I will add my 2 cents:
1. Proof of funds:
You can do what you are comfortable with.
>You can either open an account at ICICI which has branches in Canada. Or you can open an account in Scotiabank, who have tie ups with Kotak Mahindra in India.
> You could alternatively get travelers cheques and encash them to your account here.
> Or you could do what I did 2 years back. I did not carry any cash or cheque, neither opened an account from India. I simply got a certified letter from my Indian bank saying how much money I had in my account and used that letter as POF. I then withdrew money as and when required using my debit card from India.
2. Assets back home:
Anything that you are not bringing now, but expect or plan to bring in future, like Jewelry etc can be declared as goods to follow. You can bring them over on your next trip, no tax implications.
3. Banking:
I have already covered a portion of this question under point 1. Honestly, all major banks are at par. You can come here, and then see which has best offer running for new Canadians. Banks also sometimes give freebies like iPads, TVs etc for new customers, so keep an eye on which bank has good promotions running. lol. Most major banks will give you an unlimited account for first 6 months, where you get all facilities, but do not have to maintain balance. After 6 months you can decide what sort of account you want to use.
4. Schools for Kid:
As posters above have mentioned, public schools are ranked by Fraser institute which you can use as a reference material. However, the best and the worst schools do not vary by much. They all have essentially same curriculum and teaching standards. It is just that most bright students get into better ranked schools, which in turn drives the ranking even higher.
5. Regulated profession:
Now this totally depends on what you do for a living. Professions like Doctors, Nurses, , Teachers are regulated. However, fields like IT, banking etc are not. It is a good idea to carry your degree certificates and transcripts, also any industry specific certifications that you might have. WES evaluation is pretty much useless for job hunt. It is only useful for immigration or if you wish to pursue higher studies.
6. Driving license:
You need to get an extract from the concerned RTO, which explains your driving experience in India. MTO here would evaluate that extract and then give you credit for foreign experience. This might help you avoid the wait between G1 and G2 which is usually 1 year.
All provinces have their own licensing mechanism, but since you are coming to Toronto, MTO is relevant to you. This is how the process goes:
i. You give a written test, and get a G1 license if you pass. This is kinda similar to learner's license in India. However, unlike India, you cannot drive on your own with a G1 license. You can only drive if you have either an accompanying driving instructor, or another driver who have had their full G license for at least 4 years. So as you can guess, G1 is pretty much useless for everyday driving. It is basically there for you to learn driving.
ii. Once you have waited for the required duration post G1, you give a road test which allows you to get a G2. This is practically a full license which allows you to drive independently.
iii. You again wait for a year after G2, and then you can give a road test for G license, which is a full license. The most practical difference between G2 and G is that G allows you to have some alcohol in your system. And you could also drive for services like Uber.
7. Pre arrival services:
How useful it is depends on how much effort you are willing to put. They do not add much value if you already know the process and are confident doing things on your own.
8. Document/ things to carry checklist:
Suggested items:
COPR and Passport.
Accompanying goods and goods to follow (I recall this is form B4)
Proof of funds (Bank statements/letter/cash/travelers etc)
An address in Canada(no proof required, you just need to tell them an address where PR cards could be sent).
Degree certificates, transcripts, certifications etc.
Mobile SIM with international roaming. Get a 10 day roaming package or something from your provider with some data. You would be using Google maps etc a lot in first few days.