+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing / PR card issues

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by Alex069, Nov 2, 2019.

  1. Hello everyone,
    I am confronted with two problems for my landing:

    1) I plan on doing a soft landing (a week while COPR is still valid), so I would have to give a friend's address for my PR card to be mailed to. However, my only friend in Canada is concerned that it is only consensus on this Forum that this is allowed. and it might just work because the government will never find out. While this may seem paranoid, he is concerned about his own PR, which I can understand. And indeed I am struggling to find an official source, confirming that you can use a friend's address. Can anything point me towards an official link I can use to convince him?

    2) It seems that recently a lot of people doing soft landings are asked to use a PRTD and apply for a PR card only when they have moved for good. Is there anything that can be done to obtain a PRTD with multiple entry? Otherwise, flying in for interviews will be an absolute pain, especially with the processing times.

    Thank you,
  2. 1. You can give them a friends address but your friend has to be willing to do this. There is nothing wrong about this. It is just if 5he CBSA fficer asks how long you will be at that address, you must answer honestly. They may then not accept it and tell you to confirm your permanent address to Sydney PR card centre within 180 days (there is a form for this). We used a friends address and it worked fine. You w9nt find anything on CIC saying 'it is OK to use a friends address'

    2. Only choice is either PRTD OR drive across a US to Canada land border.
  3. #3 zardoz, Nov 2, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    1) There are no fundamental restrictions on the address provided, regardless of if it's family or friends, as long as it's a genuine residential address. It should be in the nominating province if PNP is involved. Similarly for Quebec.
    Don't offer any form of commercial, hotel, Airbnb or PO Box address. Like most things in life, if it's not prohibited, it's permitted by default.

    2) CBSA has always had this option but rarely uses it. Multiple entry PRTDs tend to be limited to PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse.

    This is the official stance on this topic.


    On occasion, at a POE, it may be appropriate for clients to provide the address of a third party (friend, relative, service provider or paid representative) in Canada in order to facilitate the processing and issuance of the PR card following their arrival in Canada, as new immigrants may not have a permanent address. However, cases where there are clear indications that the initial entry into Canada is only of short duration and where it appears the client provided a third-party address for the purpose of forwarding the PR card outside Canada should be flagged with a note in the system indicating that the client may be outside Canada. If the client plans to leave Canada prior to receiving the PR card, the officer should counsel the client with respect to the requirements under subsection A31(3) for a travel document issued at a visa office abroad.

Share This Page