+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing paper-innocent misrepresentation

Cguy Cooking

Feb 6, 2012
I became a Permanent Resident in 2018.

there's a question on landing paper, it reads like:

"Charged/convicted of a crime or offence in any country, refused admission to Canada or required to leave Canada?"
my answer was "NO".

but
My visa application to study in Canada was refused a couple of times before I was finally granted a visa to study in Canada. So, I was refused a Visa or Admission to Canada "2 times".

Has anyone here ever been in this kind of situation before? Please share your thoughts and experience.

Thanks!

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017

"Charged/convicted of a crime or offence in any country, refused admission to Canada or required to leave Canada?"
my answer was "NO".

but
My visa application to study in Canada was refused a couple of times before I was finally granted a visa to study in Canada. So, I was refused a Visa or Admission to Canada "2 times".

Has anyone here ever been in this kind of situation before? Please share your thoughts and experience.

Thanks!
You are fine, and your answer to the question was correct. You were refused the study permit, and eventually, you were granted the study permit, which means your earlier refusals were overturned. It is like someone was convicted with some crimes, then that person kept appealing, and eventually, the earlier conviction was overturned, then that person's criminal record should be clean.

But, if you were refused the study permit, and later, somehow, you were granted with visitor visa, then your answer to the question is wrong.

Cguy Cooking

Feb 6, 2012
You are fine, and your answer to the question was correct. You were refused the study permit, and eventually, you were granted the study permit, which means your earlier refusals were overturned. It is like someone was convicted with some crimes, then that person kept appealing, and eventually, the earlier conviction was overturned, then that person's criminal record should be clean.

But, if you were refused the study permit, and later, somehow, you were granted with visitor visa, then your answer to the question is wrong.
Thanks! How did you know all about this? I never thought about it from this angle you just explained. I have now applied for the Citizenship so I was making sure there's no error on my landing paper as I am required to present it later at the Oath ceremony. Thanks for you reply!

eugene_2005

Jan 28, 2019

my answer was "NO".

but

Thanks!
The previous answer was not 100% correct. Even if you never got granted a visa your answer on landing paper was still correct. Admission refusal to Canada is NOT equal to visa refusal. Those are two separate things. Admission refusal is when you arrive at the border(even with valid visa) and for whatever reason they refused to to enter Canada (because of misrepresentation for example ). That would be "refused admission". Simple visa denial has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Miraclejj

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
The previous answer was not 100% correct. Even if you never got granted a visa your answer on landing paper was still correct. Admission refusal to Canada is NOT equal to visa refusal. Those are two separate things. Admission refusal is when you arrive at the border(even with valid visa) and for whatever reason they refused to to enter Canada (because of misrepresentation for example ). That would be "refused admission". Simple visa denial has nothing to do with it.
You are right about this. I mixed up with VISA refusal. If it is about VISA refusal, I think my answer is correct.