+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Options

ar169

Mar 26, 2017
Hi all,
I just got my stamp on my pp. Super excited but wanted to see if I can make a quick trip (like next weekend) to Canada and get the ball rolling to get my PR?

I was wondering if I absolutely have to apply for SIN card, Health card etc in my first trip or If I can take care of this later on? (Also is there any negative part of not doing it now)

The reason I ask is I wont get holidays just yet but want to get my PR card ASAP (life on a visa in US is just no longer that desirable for me).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,
I just got my stamp on my pp. Super excited but wanted to see if I can make a quick trip (like next weekend) to Canada and get the ball rolling to get my PR?

I was wondering if I absolutely have to apply for SIN card, Health card etc in my first trip or If I can take care of this later on? (Also is there any negative part of not doing it now)

The reason I ask is I wont get holidays just yet but want to get my PR card ASAP (life on a visa in US is just no longer that desirable for me).
Hi

You don't need to apply for anything. You can't apply for health coverage, as you aren't actually moving to Canada.

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Its OK not to get the SIN and other things done. But if you can, get a weekday off to get the SIN and open a few bank accounts. It took me about 2 hrs to get all this done first thing on a Monday morning. Make sure you have someone at the address you provide at landing to collect your PR card.

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Hi

You don't need to apply for anything. You can't apply for health coverage, as you aren't actually moving to Canada.
Just curious, why cant I start the health coverage? as long as I am paying my monthly premiums, it should not matter if I am in Canada or outside. atleast this way when I am back in Canada anytime after 3 months (time taken for the coverage to start), I will have a health coverage. Maybe this is not a good plan if you are not going to return for a long time, but if you are going to be back in 3-6 months, and if your current health requires some medical attention, then it might be a good plan.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just curious, why cant I start the health coverage? as long as I am paying my monthly premiums, it should not matter if I am in Canada or outside. atleast this way when I am back in Canada anytime after 3 months (time taken for the coverage to start), I will have a health coverage. Maybe this is not a good plan if you are not going to return for a long time, but if you are going to be back in 3-6 months, and if your current health requires some medical attention, then it might be a good plan.
Provinces have residency requirements to prevent abuse of the system. Your "good plan" is healthcare fraud.

Reactions: mgnlky

ar169

Mar 26, 2017
Its OK not to get the SIN and other things done. But if you can, get a weekday off to get the SIN and open a few bank accounts. It took me about 2 hrs to get all this done first thing on a Monday morning. Make sure you have someone at the address you provide at landing to collect your PR card.
Someone told me that now you dont need a separate SIN card, instead you get something in paper form at the time of landing.

Do you know anything about this?

ar169

Mar 26, 2017
My worry is that if I come back in 3 months and then apply for SIN card, then they'll ask me about my commitment since I left Canada after landing?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My worry is that if I come back in 3 months and then apply for SIN card, then they'll ask me about my commitment since I left Canada after landing?
Service Canada doesn't care about "your commitment".