+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing - Not Having to Pay Duty on Household Goods - Goods Accompanying

Jan 14, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm freaking out a little if someone can please help me out. My wife and I got married 4 months ago and I will be doing the landing process for my COPR by driving my car and all my goods in my car from the USA into Canada. My wife bought a whole bunch of household stuff (i.e. dishes, cutlery, towels, shower curtain, etc) from Macys for Black Friday 2016. So apparently, a lot of stuff is still new and in boxes. Even if I take them out of the boxes, they will still appear brand new.

1) Will I have to pay duty on these goods that I will list on my goods accompanying? We don't qualify for the Wedding Gifts exemption since we were married more than 3 months prior to me coming to Canada to do the landing process.

2) Anything you recommend so that I don't have to pay duty?

Thanks guys for all your help :)

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
LeftMyHeartInBC said:
Hey guys,

I'm freaking out a little if someone can please help me out. My wife and I got married 4 months ago and I will be doing the landing process for my COPR by driving my car and all my goods in my car from the USA into Canada. My wife bought a whole bunch of household stuff (i.e. dishes, cutlery, towels, shower curtain, etc) from Macys for Black Friday 2016. So apparently, a lot of stuff is still new and in boxes. Even if I take them out of the boxes, they will still appear brand new.

1) Will I have to pay duty on these goods that I will list on my goods accompanying? We don't qualify for the Wedding Gifts exemption since we were married more than 3 months prior to me coming to Canada to do the landing process.

2) Anything you recommend so that I don't have to pay duty?

Thanks guys for all your help :)
You can import whatever is listed on your Accompanying Goods form (B4), regardless of age and condition, without paying taxes. Just itemize and list everything and you will be fine. The vast majority of the time, no one even checks.

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks torontosm, this really makes my day. You have a great weekend now.

Btw, I now root for some Toronto/Canadian teams, like the Raptors, Blue Jays and Canucks in addition to the Kings (hockey), Dodgers, Thunder and Packers :p ;)

Tinabuchan

Oct 2, 2016
I brought in a Uhaul truck of furniture and household possessions at the Blaine crossing near Vancouver. They didn't even open the Uhaul to look. The officer asked me one question - "do you have any firearms?" When I said no, he stamped my form and sent me on my way. We had done a thorough inventory and were ready for every eventuality. It was so simple and quick.