+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing interview soon - asking for advice!

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
Hi guys,

My landing interview is in two days (I'm an inland applicant) and I've been looking for what kind of questions they might ask, just to be prepared. Crimes/dependent children/deportation/illegal work - it's all pretty clear to me. However, I'm hesitant about the following:

1. They might ask if I was diagnosed with serious (or maybe with any?) illness since I applied. I actually was, with hyperactive thyroid. It requires medication daily. But it's not nearly close to anything like cancer or diabetes. Do I have to tell them this? Can this be a reason to deny a permanent resident status?

2. If they ask my reasons for immigration, will saying "My husband" satisfy them? There's really nothing to add, he just happens to be from Canada.

I'm worried, especially about the first question, so please give your opinions on the subject!
Thank you!

mekima

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Doc's Request.
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
24-06-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
LANDED..........
17-03-2015
fupsik said:
Hi guys,

My landing interview is in two days (I'm an inland applicant) and I've been looking for what kind of questions they might ask, just to be prepared. Crimes/dependent children/deportation/illegal work - it's all pretty clear to me. However, I'm hesitant about the following:

1. They might ask if I was diagnosed with serious (or maybe with any?) illness since I applied. I actually was, with hyperactive thyroid. It requires medication daily. But it's not nearly close to anything like cancer or diabetes. Do I have to tell them this? Can this be a reason to deny a permanent resident status?

2. If they ask my reasons for immigration, will saying "My husband" satisfy them? There's really nothing to add, he just happens to be from Canada.

I'm worried, especially about the first question, so please give your opinions on the subject!
Thank you!
Don't worry about the landing interview. It lasts less than 10 mins depending on if all documents and requirements have been met. They will only check to see if you have your passport and ask you if there's been any changes to your family composition and if you've been denied entry or committed any crime and ask you to initial against all the answers asked and that's it you are pretty much done. They make it seem like its a big scary interview but its not. It's just to officially sign the COPR and give you a copy of it. So don't worry just relax.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fupsik said:
Hi guys,

Thank you!
They won't ask either of those questions. As mentioned, don't worry. You have already been approved for PR so the landing interview is just a formality.

The only thing some inland applicants have reported is that at landing interview the visa officer may ask for something that shows you are still meeting the inland requirement of living together in Canada. So it would be good to bring something like drivers licences (or any other ID) for each of you that shows your common address, a joint bank statement, etc.

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
Rob_TO said:
They won't ask either of those questions. As mentioned, don't worry. You have already been approved for PR so the landing interview is just a formality.

The only thing some inland applicants have reported is that at landing interview the visa officer may ask for something that shows you are still meeting the inland requirement of living together in Canada. So it would be good to bring something like drivers licences (or any other ID) for each of you that shows your common address, a joint bank statement, etc.
Well, I will hope for the best!!
Unfortunately, that's the other problem I've got, as I don't have a lease on my name, a driver's license or any bills coming in... The only one thing I can provide is a bank statement from my account showing my address.

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
BTW, a hyperactive thyroid is not a "serious" illness by CIC standards. It's treatable with regular medication and in the worst cases you have day-surgery to have half or all of it removed, with a different medication afterwards. Beyond that, spouses are medically exempt.

If you want a reason, be a bit more descriptive. "To be with my husband, and we preferred Canada to ___. Love knows no borders."

jaxxon

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
29-04-2015 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (Exempt) (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
First of all I wanna say sorry that you got sick since beeing approved.

Im worried about landing interview aswell but only for the reason if they ask about my health, since my medical exam for my application I got sick, I dont have a diagnosis yet but my doctor are mentioning diseases like MS, Lyme Disease and Sarcoidosis, I have lots of medical appointments comming up to try to figure out if I have any of this :( Im praying that I dont. It'd nothing that's going to kill me, but there is a big risk it could effect me for the rest of my life.

It really feels like the joy of getting approved as PR has been taken away from me and now having to worry about the landing interview, so I defiently understand how you are feeling. Im scared what they will do with my PR if they. ask that question and I have to explain if I do have a diagnosis...

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
jaxxon said:

Im worried about landing interview aswell but only for the reason if they ask about my health, since my medical exam for my application I got sick, I dont have a diagnosis yet but my doctor are mentioning diseases like MS, Lyme Disease and Sarcoidosis, I have lots of medical appointments comming up to try to figure out if I have any of this :( Im praying that I dont. It'd nothing that's going to kill me, but there is a big risk it could effect me for the rest of my life.

It really feels like the joy of getting approved as PR has been taken away from me and now having to worry about the landing interview, so I defiently understand how you are feeling. Im scared what they will do with my PR if they. ask that question and I have to explain if I do have a diagnosis...
Sorry to hear about that! :( My interview is tomorrow and I'll let you know what they ask. Majority of people say they don't ask this question. I've only come across it once in someone's very old post.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fupsik said:
Well, I will hope for the best!!
Unfortunately, that's the other problem I've got, as I don't have a lease on my name, a driver's license or any bills coming in... The only one thing I can provide is a bank statement from my account showing my address.
As long as that bank statement has your name and the same address as your spouse's, then that would be fine.

They don't always ask for this proof, but better to have it just in case.

jaxxon

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
29-04-2015 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (Exempt) (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
fupsik said:
Sorry to hear about that! :( My interview is tomorrow and I'll let you know what they ask. Majority of people say they don't ask this question. I've only come across it once in someone's very old post.
Thank you I would really appriciate if you let me know what they asked :) I asked in a different thread and someone said they might ask me to redo my medical :S Dont really understand why they would since I dont have anything contagious....

Anyway I wish you good luck tomorrow, Im sure it will go by smoothly :) :)

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
Mapleson said:
BTW, a hyperactive thyroid is not a "serious" illness by CIC standards. It's treatable with regular medication and in the worst cases you have day-surgery to have half or all of it removed, with a different medication afterwards. Beyond that, spouses are medically exempt.

If you want a reason, be a bit more descriptive. "To be with my husband, and we preferred Canada to ___. Love knows no borders."
Thanks for advice, Mapleson!

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
jaxxon said:
Thank you I would really appriciate if you let me know what they asked :) I asked in a different thread and someone said they might ask me to redo my medical :S Dont really understand why they would since I dont have anything contagious....

Anyway I wish you good luck tomorrow, Im sure it will go by smoothly :) :)
Thank you!

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
jaxxon said:

Don't worry about your landing interview either. If asked, you tell the truth. As spouses are medically exempt beyond the basic threat to public health, you have nothing to worry about at all.

jaxxon

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
29-04-2015 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (Exempt) (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
Mapleson said:
Don't worry about your landing interview either. If asked, you tell the truth. As spouses are medically exempt beyond the basic threat to public health, you have nothing to worry about at all.
Alright thank you :) I wont worry about that anymore now then, Im gonna try to be excited at wait for my COPR :)

fupsik

Apr 30, 2014
Montreal
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April, 2014
AOR Received.
August, 2014
Interview........
2015-07-14
LANDED..........
2015-07-14
So starting today, I'm a Permanent Resident of Canada!

Here is how it went:
We arrived a bit too early, 7-40, and waited outside of the building till 8. We presented our invitation letter to the security guy and entered. On the second floor we showed the letter once again, the security/receptionist guy took it from us and told us to sit down and wait in the hall. In 10 minutes or so we were invited by a nice lady and followed her inside of the CIC open work space, to her desk. She took all the papers from me: passport - old one with my initial entry stamp and a current one, CSQ, photos, visitor visa record (she asked for all the records that I had and never gave them back to me - she said they should be destroyed), receipt for $490. She never asked for any other papers or proofs. Here are the questions that she asked:
1. Are me and my sponsor still together
2. My current address
3. She asked my sponsor if he still wants to sponsor me for the next three years
4. If I ever committed any crimes
5. If I have dependent children outside of Canada
6. She asked my sponsor and me about our jobs, not sure why she asked me (she asked if I was in HR), because she knew I couldn't work yet.

She didn't ask anything else at all. Actually, she had quite a lot of information about me prepared: my height, my eye color, my first entry, my profession, etc.!

Then she left for about 10 minutes to prepare a confirmation of permanent residence paper (the one she prepared for our interview contained my old passport number, and though I sent a new passport to CIC, she didn't get it). My husband supposed we could be filmed and watched during this time and got angry with me for a joke I've made (about our possible fraud, which we are not))). But anyway, she returned with 2 copies of the paper, I signed both and got one of them. She said to keep it safe because I will need it through out my life, even when I apply for pension... She congratulated me many times, told us about citizenship, SIN, medical insurance and answered the questions we had. She said that it will take about 3 months for my resident card to arrive in the mail, because they have a lot of requests right now. She also said that the laws for citizenship changed recently and they only count years now starting from the date when you become a resident... She was pretty warm and welcoming!

She also said I could travel now, even without my PR card, just to get back to Canada I have to go to Canadian embassy and they will stamp my passport with visa in an hour or so.

This is Montreal office. No dress code needed, come in slippers and jeans! Everything took us about 30 min.

I wish everyone good luck!!!!!

jaxxon

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
29-04-2015 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (Exempt) (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
Congratulations on now beeing a permanent resident! :) I'm glad everything went smoothly for you!

In September it will be my turn to land :)