+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Interview Question

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could answer this for me. My husband will be out of the province for work (but still in Canada) during the time in which I would likely have my Landing Interview if residency is granted to me.. would this cause a problem? Does he HAVE to be at the interview with me? Also, how much notice before the interview does one normally receive in case he does absolutely need to be there and has to fly home?

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Yes he has to be with on your interview. They normally sent a letter month in advance.

mint

Jun 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joce288 said:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could answer this for me. My husband will be out of the province for work (but still in Canada) during the time in which I would likely have my Landing Interview if residency is granted to me.. would this cause a problem? Does he HAVE to be at the interview with me? Also, how much notice before the interview does one normally receive in case he does absolutely need to be there and has to fly home?
Hi, I just had my landing interview a few days ago.
I received a letter for my interview on September 3, and my interview was September 21. (However my letter dated September 1st)
It probably depends on which your local office is, but I think they normally give you a letter 3-4 weeks before your interview.
In the letter it says your sponsor has to be there with you. At the interview, they asked my husband to show his ID(and his birth certificate if he had it with him, but he did not have) They also asked if he understood what his responsibility as a sponsor was.
Good luck!!

Mint

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
They never asked my wife to attend. That was a few years ago, though, so they may have changed the procedure. If they ask him to be there, make sure he is. You really don't want a delay getting the PR at that stage, even if it means he has to take a day off work and travel back.

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
I am unfamiliar with a "landing interview" ... is this another term for the interview that an IO requests when processes your file? Or something seperate that occurs at the border at the time of landing.. ?

*edit* Oh, this is an inland thing it seems?

W

waynevega

As Mint wrote (who just landed 2 days ago), your sponsor will have to be there. It's the "examination interview" you're refering to.
But you have to wait until you get the COPR appointment letter from your local office first. There's no way of telling when that letter will arrive. I've been waiting for mine for over a month now and no mail yet.
COPR = Confirmation of Permanent Residence, this is what you get when you "land".

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Giggles, yes, I applied inland, I'm sorry I didn't explain that initially.

Thanks for everyone's response...anyone know what might happen if he can't make it? Would my residency not be granted at all or just not then?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I landed 'Inland' too, 20th May 2010. Yes my partner had to attend with me.

I suggest you call the landing office when you get your official notice and explain the situation.

Justincase

Jul 30, 2010
adzees said:
Yes he has to be with on your interview. They normally sent a letter month in advance.
WRONG !!!

If they ask on the letter then you would have to bring spouse

I was asked but they didnt check my spouse's ids or anything nor was she asked any questions

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so I'm still just wondering.. does anyone know if there is a penalty for him not being there? or would it just mean i'd have to wait longer to be granted residency?