+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in QC and moving to ON

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Dear all,

I have landed to Canada three years ago as a federal skilled worker and moved to live in Montreal, QC. My family (wife and kid) got their landing visa under sponsorship application from Quebec and they are planning to land in Montreal in the next few weeks.

We are planning to move to Ontario post to their landing.

My questions

Is it possible that my wife and kid after landing in Montreal, QC; they can apply (eligible) for all their government services (SIN, Health Insurance ...etc.), in OTTAWA, ON? if not, how they become eligible?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The respective provinces are responsible for health insurance, SIN and Driver's licence. A landed new immigrant can apply for it at the province where they are going to settle. As your wife and kinds will be landing in Montreal, the PR Cards will be issued to the Quebec address, if given at the airport while landing. They ( including you ) are however able to move freely,settle and work anywhere within Canada after landed.The Quebec obtained PR card functions just the same as one obtained Ontario or any other province.
But, the provincial benefits cannot be obtained freely in each province, unless applied according to the provincial rules.

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks Wilson, such great expertise and efforts!

Allow me to context my understanding. Upon my family's landing; and in airport they will be providing my Montreal, QC address for their PR mailing. After that, we can move to any other city, province (e.g. Ottawa, ON) freely.

My questions 1: Can my family provide a non Quebec mailing address for the PR? e.g. Ottawa, ON (I prefer to move there before them).

My question 2: if my family landed today, can we move tomorrow to Ottawa, ON and start (proceed) with their all government services their? e.g. SIN, Health Insurance, Tax Child Benefits? or shall we do these things locally in Montreal?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I heard of someone in a similar situation who asked their lawyer and the lawyer said that they should not move until after their family had landed as for not complicating things. However, because you are moving from Quebec and you already did the federal sponsorship and the CSQ, I don't see how they can complain. If you had lived in Ontario during the sponsorship process, you would just have done the federal sponsorship. When they land, have them ask if they must give a Quebec address for the PR card or if they can give an Ontario address. If the immigration officer says they must give a Quebec address, let them do that. I assume you will go to Canada Post and get forwarding of all your mail to your new address in Ontario. It should work. Nobody will stop you from moving. As for getting SIN, they can apply for it anywhere. As for getting OHIP, as long as they show some documents that they are living in ON, they can apply for OHIP but they will have a 3 month waiting period to get it.